Game Day Round 11: Dreamtime at the G - Essendon v Richmond, Saturday 2/6/18 - 7.25pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
round11.jpg

Probably the only time Jake Long will feature in these threads but oh well

472720_b58942a4283f11fbc134d006418df22f.jpg

17 degrees maximum during the day, easing to 12 degrees around game time. Partly cloudy. 20% chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Light winds.

No-one spotted the Bunn last week, so you can try again.

472721_ed5d0e7c638c5c7801a6baa4f4cd056b.jpg

SportsBet:
ESSENDON BOMBERS:
$3.25
RICHMOND TIGERS: $1.35

CrownBet:
ESSENDON BOMBERS:
$3.35
RICHMOND TIGERS: $1.33

UBET:
ESSENDON BOMBERS:
$3.50
RICHMOND TIGERS: $1.31

472722_12eeb32546c82d6cca0ca499f6b89844.jpg

ESSENDON BOMBERS

Much better again; and the upwards trend with the Essendon mid-year resurgence continues.
Two weeks in a row, and manic pressure has been the name of the game. We've dominated Geelong and GWS in consecutive weeks, and are actually looking like a somewhat competent football team all of a sudden.
Jake Stringer has finally started to get things clicking and is starting to become the dominant force that we knew he could be.
Mark Baguley as a defensive small forward was a masterstroke.
Granted, the Giants were decimated by injury, but the Bombers are still missing two twin towers in Daniher and Hurley.
Orazio Fantasia is nearly Essendon's most important player.
It looks as though Devon Smith has that title right now. What a deadset gun.
The Giants fought back throughout the second and third quarters, but the steadfast Bombers stuck to their guns and dominated the fourth to come away with a solid win away from home.
This result somewhat cushioned the blow of the boring white Gobshites Real Madrid beating my beloved Reds. Piss.
Bellchambers and his massive penis absolutely obliterated Rory Lobb. Was the most dominant ruck, easily.
The way we run out of defence with Saad and McKenna streaming along the flanks and through the centre makes my loins strain.
Hnggggg.

GWS GIANTS 8.12 60 def. by ESSENDON BOMBERS 14.11 95

BEST: Heppell, Zaharakis, Merrett, Baguley, Smith, Saad, Bellchambers
GOALS: Baguley, Stringer 3, Zaharakis, Smith, Goddard, McGrath, Langford, Fantasia, McKernan, Stewart
INJURIES: Nil
REPORTS: Nil

--------

RICHMOND TIGERS

And so the Tiger train rolls on.
A routine win against a surprisingly accurate St Kilda saw the Tigers maintain their second spot on the ladder, just behind the Eagles.
Jack Riewoldt copped a straight HADOUKEN to the head from old mate Jake Carlisle and half died.
Josh Caddy decided to go full Wayne Carey and slot 6 straight, making the Saints look even more like a pack of plebs.
Even Nick Vlaust the Impaler slotted 3.
Bachar Houli copped the wrath of Ramadan and blew his groin out.
And lo, so it was, that sir Cotchin of Trent and Sir Martin of Dust would step up and end any small hope that the lowly Saints had.
Just on a different level.
200 gamer Shaun Grigg continued the trend of Carlton players who left Ikon Park and then suddenly turned good. Lol Carlton

RICHMOND TIGERS 15.15 105 def. ST KILDA SAINTS 12.5 77

BEST: Caddy, Cotchin, Martin, Short, Butler, Grigg
GOALS: Caddy 6, Butler, Vlastuin 3, Martin 2, Cotchin
INJURIES: Riewoldt (Concussion), Houli (Balls)
REPORTS: Nil

472723_a0301250878328bf82f44e5c86d387fd.jpg

richmondgame copy.jpg
ESSENDON EMERGENCIES
Josh Green, Jackson Merrett, Dylan Clarke, Ben McNiece

RICHMOND EMERGENCIES
Anthony Miles, Jacob Townsend, Ivan Soldo, Corey Ellis

--------------------------

ESSENDON INS: Michael Hurley
ESSENDON OUTS: Patrick Ambrose (Calf)

RICHMOND INS: Dylan Grimes
RICHMOND OUTS: Bachar Hooley Dooleys (Groin)

MILESTONES:
STRINGER%20Jake.png

ESSENDON - #25 - JAKE STRINGER
Traded from Western Bulldogs for Picks 25 & 30, 2017 Trade Period
192cm, 92kg
100 GAMES

472726_a98a1da712512c2fc1a8851fd0f98ea1.jpg

No enormous surprises here. Both teams coming off decent wins means that there is little, if any, need to change the teams. The puff pieces on Aaron Francis and his social media activity did get eyebrows raised that he would be making his long-awaited return to the seniors this week, but come Thursday night, we were given just the one change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Paddy Ambrose has succumbed to a minor calf injury that will most likely see him return after the bye. While not a great concern, Ambrose's injury problems have really started to add up over the past couple of years, and while he is certainly in our best 22 as a pressure defender, his reliability is starting to be questioned. The big bear Michael Hurley is back in the team as a like-for-like replacement. After overcoming a hamstring injury that kept him out of the team for a few weeks, Hurls is looking to slot back into a defensive line who's pressure and tenacity has been A+ grade over the past fortnight. While he has been great at playing the loose man across half back, gathering touches and distributing through the midfield, we may need him to play a more run-with role, especially if Riewoldt is in good touch. While Hooker is a better one on one defender, I'm not sure if he has the speed that Jack does.

The Tigers see one forced change, with Bachar Houli going down to a groin injury, which is expected to keep him out for a fair while; news around circles is that he may not be back until Round 15. Replacing Houli in the starting line-up is injury prone defender Dylan Grimes, who had a career-best season in 2017. With Grimes back into the line-up, we will see a little more dash and speed coming from the Tigers halfback line, which will need to be quelled if the Dons are to come away with the chocolates.

I'm disappointed that Prestia isn't playing, as I have already photoshopped his face into a meatball.

What a dick.

472727_9defc367c93ded1f4eba315422e9c11e.jpg

ESSENDON BOMBERS - #43 - ANTHONY McDONALD-TIPUNGWUTI

Walla is one of those players that, for most of his career, has lit it up on the big stage when we've needed him to. This year, so far, hasn't been all that flash. Though, as per the rest of the side, when one part of the team starts to gel and get it right, then the rest shall follow. The past two weeks have been great for Essendon, and one can safely assume that Walla will be making tracks to get back to the brilliance that he has shown over his career so far. Add to the mix the occassion; an enormous game against the reigning premier, celebrating the heritage and contribution that indegenous players have brought to our great game. This is the sort of game made for him.

With his efforts questioned over the past couple of months, the time has come for Walla to step up. The stage is set, his game is primed and ready for the taking, we just need him to make it happen.

Or break someone's kneecap, it's all good.

ESSENDON BOMBERS - #13 - ORAZIO FANTASIA

Arguably, aside from Dev Smith, our most important player. Raz is a barometer for this Essendon side. If he's in, we're playing well. We're creative through the middle and electric up forward. There's talent to burn, slick, silky disposal, and a never-say-die attitude that has seen him shoot up the ranking to become one of the first names on the team sheet come Thursday nights. Raz is one player who doesn't have to be collecting it 30 times in a game to be dominant. The small, creative efforts he performs is enough to see him continue to maintain his spot in the side without having to be consistently in the thick of the stoppages. A true creative genius on the field, Fantasia gives us something we've sorely lacked since the days of Mercuri and Misiti. Absolute gun.

To add to this, he will be an extremely difficult match up for the Tigers. Expect a big game.

RICHMOND TIGERS - #4 - DUSTIN MARTIN

He hasn't been at his most damaging best this year, but he's still one of the most damaging players that they have. I fully expect him to tear us a new anus. I'm not even mad. He's great to watch in full flight.

Which will be sad when Dev Smith GRINDS HIM INTO THE MCG TURF HHGGRRGGHGHHHH

RICHMOND TIGERS - #14 - BACHAR HOULI

I know he's not playing, but as per tradition, I have to roll out this ball tearer.

472728_4594292710392e969bc3f1356c8abb02.jpg

Of all of the marketing gimmicks that the AFL has placed on certain rounds over the years, the Indigenous Round, alongside ANZAC Round, is one that actually holds some merit. The contributions made to our great game from those who populated this land first can't be underestimated, and nor should they ever be ignored.

Essendon is one of those clubs with an extremely proud heritage with the Indigenous culture. Start with arguably the first Indigenous AFL/VFL star; Norm McDonald, who played with the Bombers from 1947 to 1953. McDonald is a member of the Indigenous Team of the Century, and played 128 games for 3 goals running off half back. One of the quickest players throughout the 40s and 50s, McDonald paved the way for the proud history that the Bombers have with the native people of Australia. After Norm, we had a period with very few to no interest from those who made these decisions. There was hesitancy to sign the supremely talented kids from the middle of the Country. Was it racism? Was it the "Go Home" factor? Regardless, it was temporary, and the game embraced those who could change it so much.

The Kicketts, Dale and Derek, both represented the red and black, albeit with much controversy after Kevin Sheedy infamously dropped Derek for the 1993 premiership side against Carlton. Somewhat coincidentally, 25 years later, the two have made up and buried the hatchet just this week. Cut to 1989, and a skinny kid from the Northern Territory was brought down to Melbourne by Kevin Sheedy. This kid spent most of his time in the sauna as the freezing Melbourne temperatures were so alien to him. He was shy, withdrawn from all of the strangers surrounding him at this new setting, and it took him a little while to understand that he was there for a reason, and he would be one of the talismans to getting the Indigenous people of Australia the respect that they so very much deserved on the sporting field. This kid grew, and grew quickly. He would become one of the best Aboriginal players that had ever played the game, let alone played for Essendon. A member of the Indigenous Team of the Century, a member of both the 1988 and 1995 All Australian Teams, and an eventual 1993 Norm Smith Medalist. His name? Michael Long. Michael has continued his legacy even after his retirement at the end of 2001, with his son Jake now listed as an Essendon player.

At the same time, in the 1989 National Draft, we used pick 12 on a wiry kid from Mt Gambier in South Australia, full knowing that he couldn't play for us until 1991. He spent two years playing for Port Adelaide in the SANFL, dominating all-comers, even as a 16 year old. He moved to the Bombers at the start of 1991; a Round 2 win against Richmond. He immediately found his niche as an attacking defender, and never dropped his form. He was rewarded with the 1993 Brownlow Medal, and was the very first Indigenous player to do so. He also played in our premiership win that year. Of course, it was Gavin Wanganeen. The day he left us for Port Adelaide when they entered the AFL was a heartbreaking day, and is known amongst a fair few of us as the worst day we had as an Essendon supporter. Alas, I was 4, and don't remember it all that clearly. His son, Tex, was recently training with the Bombers ahead of his draft year, where he could go to either Essendon or Port as a father-son recruit. The boy has talent. Just like his old man.

This doesn't mean that all of our Aboriginal recruits have been successes of course; names such as Willie Dick (lol), Shawn Lewfatt, Lachlan Ross and Russell Williams played one season. Cory McGrath drew a lot of criticism in his inconsistency. Alwyn Froggy Davey, our infamous 5'7" Centre Half Forward, tried his heart out for years in the red and black, but was largely played out of position, and with our pitiful midfield dropping the ball on his head when he was a head and a half shorter than literally everyone else on the field, he had no chance. Leroy Jetta became infamous for diving and dropping to his knees at any chance, plus also nearly costing us the 2009 ANZAC Day game, save for some Zaharakis heroics. We won't mention Jarrod Atkinson.

Modern day guns? Andrew Lovett, at his prime, was arguably one of the best Indigenous players in the legaue. His cousin, Nathan Lovett-Murray, was absolutely terrifying in this boxing ring, and could probably kill both Carr brothers in one hit. Oh, wait. Now Port Adelaide gun ruckman Paddy Ryder is one of the most talented players that we have had in the past 20 years, and seeing him dominate in teal is a real prick. Sausage Dean Rioli would have to be, based on pure talent, the best Aboriginal player I've ever seen. The only issue with Dean was that he really loved Big Macs. His body continuously let him down, as did his body fat percentage. He retired in 2006 on exactly 100 games in a 7 year career. Continuing the Port Adelaide affiliation, Che Cockatoo-Collins was a mercurial midfield genius who deserved so much more success than he got, and the same could be said for Courtenay Dempsey, who, in flashes, showed incredible talent and skill. He wasn't the same after his ACL injury, and, unfortunately, he will be remembered for his play-on incident after the siren during that incredible come-back against Sydney a few years back. He was delisted at the end of 2016.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, of Tiwi descent, is our sole representative on the field tonight. While his form has been inconsistent throughout his career, he has shown the incredible flashes of brilliance that the Indigenous people of Australia have become known for. May our great culture with the people of this land continue, and may the red and black be an icon of Indigenous lore for many years to come.

Go Dons.

-VS

471569_c1a7819939d4fc0f6c3960003bb0fd23.jpg

A wonderful effort from everyone's favourite supreme gentleman, DapperDon

---------------

A ******* laptop!

The year was 2007, we had just said goodbye to our greatest ever player of this era and arguably the greatest ever coach we have had. It was a sad time, but also and exciting one as the future was new and unknown. I remember it well, I was sitting on my couch in my shitty rental share house in St Kilda, probably drunk, who could tell back then? but I digress, I was sitting on the couch and all of a sudden Steven Quartermain pops on the telly saying Damian Hardwick is now short priced favourite for the head coaching job at Essendon.

I think to myself and was very happy with this news, then all of a sudden, a mate calls me and says Matty Knights is locked in. I was in 2 minds. Knights had coached Bendigo quite well but Dimma was Dimma, one of my faves from that era. It was then confirmed later that evening that Knights was in and Dimma out. 12 months later after an 8-game winning season by the Dons, Richmond would grab Dimma after Terry “I am a list manager I promise please love me” Wallace was sacked, along came 2009 and we squeeze into finals after a dramatic last game win against the Hawkes, only to be destroyed by the Crows a week later. Still a year to run on his contract the club says, “**** it, we made finals let’s give him 3 more years!!!” Dimma starts badly and we laugh that we got the right guy…... but back to 2007, and my shitty share house in St Kilda….

The news leaked that Dimma was out of contention as his laptop failed him during his interview, well s**t I thought, that is some shitty luck and that must have been one hell of a PowerPoint to not have any other notes, but it was what it was, and I started to get ready for Coach Knights. Then the following years of Putting Courtney Johns on Leon Davis in ANZAC Day, Telling Fletch his time was almost up, and playing the best Full Forward of the past 15 years on the wing had me doubting his coaching credentials, then came LeCras 12 and the nail in his short-coached coffin. Hird had the same thoughts and came on board Then came Bomber, then came Robinson then came Stephen ******* Dank…… then came the 4 years of s**t, then came the bans and coach sackings and loss of Directors, managers and staff and THEN RICHMOND AND DIMMA WON A BLOODY PREMIERSHIP!!!.........and I think back to that shitty share house rental in St Kilda all those years ago and say to myself…..A Laptop, a ******* Laptop.

**** you world!

(Sang to theme of American Pie)

A long long time ago
I can still remember how
Richmond used to make me smile
And I thought if they got a chance
They’d **** it up at the big dance
And we’d continue smiling for a while

But last September made me shiver
With every kick that Dusty delivered
No more chicken s**t on the doorstep
Membership cards kept intact

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about Houli cutting wide
Something touched me deep inside
The day Big Footy died

So

Bye, bye Tiger’s Army fake pride
Broke their cherry at the granny and made us all sigh
And them good ole days watching Cotchin scared high
Thinkin ‘this will be the day that never dies
This'll be the day that never dies….

Did you see that thread of art?
When we were finding where Richmond were at
Or were you completely eco’d?
Did you have faith in Dimma’s role?
When he got Yarran to save his soul?
Or did you want him drawn and sacked, real slow?

Well, I know you're now in love with him
'Cause I saw you deleting' the thread Sack Dim!
You all dusted off your shoes
And assumed that we never knew

That you were out collecting all your bucks
To get another one of those manure trucks
But suddenly we were out of luck
The day Big Footy died

I started singin'
Bye, bye Tiger’s Army fake pride
Broke their cherry at the granny and made us all sigh
And them good ole days watching Cotchin scared high
Thinkin ‘this will be the day that never dies
This'll be the day that never dies….
-----------------------

Poetry.
If you would like to nominate for a guest spot as a ranter, please PM me!

472729_539dc8b21bed893d3b60007dbcf8d432.jpg

ROUND 10, 2017
Dreamtime At The G, MCG, 27th May, 2017

RICHMOND TIGERS 11.15 81
def.
ESSENDON BOMBERS 10.6 66

---------

ESSENDON BEST: Zaharakis, Goddard, Watson
ESSENDON GOALS: Daniher 3, Goddard 2, Zaharakis, Heppell, Green, Stewart, Fantasia

RICHMOND BEST: Cotchin, Martin, Ellis
RICHMOND BEST: Riewoldt, Edwards, Caddy 2, Martin, Ellis, Elton, Nankervis, Lloyd

---------
CHANGES SINCE THEN:

ESSENDON OUTS: Daniher, Green, Kelly, Watson, Myers, Colyer, Hartley, Parish
ESSENDON INS: Saad, Stringer, Smith, Ridley, McKernan, Langford, Guelfi, Laverde

RICHMOND OUTS: Elton, Lloyd, Houli, Prestia, Castagna, Rioli, Bolton
RICHMOND INS: Moore, Butler, Vlastuin, Broad, Conca, Graham, Higgins

471568_1b7630e7e14ed4b02099a98a46510725.jpg

MELBOURNE:
TV:
Channel 7 (LIVE at 7.00pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST)
RADIO: 3AW, ABC, ABC Grandstand, Triple M
MOBILE: AFL Live Official App with LIVE Pass (Unmetered on Telstra Mobile Network)

SYDNEY:
TV:
7mate (LIVE at 7.00pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST)
RADIO: Triple M
MOBILE: AFL Live Official App with LIVE Pass (Unmetered on Telstra Mobile Network)

ADELAIDE:
TV:
Channel 7 (LIVE at 6.30pm ACST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 6.50pm ACST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 6.50pm ACST)
RADIO: FIVEaa, Triple M, ABC, ABC Grandstand

PERTH:
TV:
FOXFooty (LIVE at 5.20pm AWST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 5.20pm AWST)
RADIO: -

BRISBANE:
TV:
7mate (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST)
RADIO: -

TASMANIA:
TV:
Channel 7 (LIVE at 7.00pm AEST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 7.20pm AEST)
RADIO: ABC

DARWIN:
TV:
Southern Cross (LIVE at 6.30pm ACST), FOXFooty (LIVE at 6.50pm AEST), FOXTEL Now (LIVE at 6.50pm AEST)
RADIO: NIRS, ABC, ABC Grandstand, AFL Nation

471567_37797b26ee5527f5aab0532c8f890ddb.jpg

We're getting closer to where we need to be, but it's hard to see a team like the Tigers dropping the ball here.

Just.

Richmond by 8.

Halfway there and realised Ive forgotten my member card, what do I do?

For next time, have a photo of the card on your phone. (Barcode to get in) I’ve used that a few times.

Also, Apparently there is a section in the app that you can generate a ticket for game. Wasn’t working at beginning of year, but give it a crack if you have the app and your membership login.

For next time, have a photo of the card on your phone. (Barcode to get in) I’ve used that a few times.

Also, Apparently there is a section in the app that you can generate a ticket for game. Wasn’t working at beginning of year, but give it a crack if you have the app and your membership login.
Thankyou both.
Good idea Rebellya
Ill try the app!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another great write up VS & quality soapbox DD (I'm going to put my hand up for one of these shortly), what could have been had we taken the Hardwick Road, still a decision I will never understand, dodgy laptop or no.

Not too worried about the result in this one as long as the endeavour of the last couple weeks is on show...
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back