Preview Round 11: Sir Doug Nicholls Round, Dreamtime at the G - Richmond Tigers vs Essendon Bombers, Saturday, 25th May, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroying zurhaar is hardly a notch on the belt. He’s hardly got a kick all year
If Ridley and cox are coming back in, someone from the back half is going out. It’s either him or heppell
Zurhaar had kicked 7.4 in his last 3 games that had been far bigger beltings

Mckay, Ridley, Lav, Redman, Mcgrath, Kelly and Martin back 7

Hind, Heppell, Cox 3 wing with all the ability to go back. Hind the ability to spend small time high half fwd if need be. Or when the move of Martin to half fwd occurs one goes back permanently. Or sub one off/or Ridley at 3 qtr time, plenty of levers to pull this week vs tigers if we pick Ridley

Last edited:
Don’t get me wrong, the Tigers injury list is quite long and extensive but geez the truth gets stretched when 25 year old, Cat B long shot Mate Collina is listed as an “out” for the Tigers as if it were an important exclusion. 3 of the 18 listed are long shot rookies, yes 10 are best 22 but gee whiz. Over reaction

Don’t get me wrong, the Tigers injury list is quite long and extensive but geez the truth gets stretched when 25 year old, Cat B long shot Mate Collina is listed as an “out” for the Tigers as if it were an important exclusion. 3 of the 18 listed are long shot rookies, yes 10 are best 22 but gee whiz. Over reaction
13 would be in their top 30. On a very average list in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a pretty debilitating list.
I’m counting 10 best 22 outs (like Yoda) in Yellow. Collina ain’t making that cut.
Can’t see many teams functioning with those players missing. Even worse if you’re scratching around to start with, like the tiges are.

IMG_9275.jpeg

It’s a pretty debilitating list.
I’m counting 10 best 22 outs (like Yoda) in Yellow. Collina ain’t making that cut.
Can’t see many teams functioning with those players missing. Even worse if you’re scratching around to start with, like the tiges are.

View attachment 1995392
Where is that list from? Is it current? Just wondering if Graham and Hopper would be chances this week?

First choice: I'd play both Bryan and Goldy in the absence of Jones. Bryan and Wright will give Goldy enough support.

Second choice: Put our trust in Bryan and tell him to do what he did on the weekend and debut Caddy.

We're probably lucky this week that Nank hasn't got the mid brigade to serve that Xerri did, because Goldstein looked cooked on the weekend. He needs either support or a break.

think if ridley is in then it's time to move martin up the ground. have had about enough of him kicking it into the stands, direct turnovers, etc. need to allow a player who can be actually damaging to sit on half back as he's been
Agree, Martin has been great at times but I think Ridley is a better user of the ball at the moment.

When Martin was moved back McGrath was not in the best form. This is not the case now as he is almost AA level so I think we should use Martin in a more attacking role.

Martin forward of centre adds much greater value to scoring potential IMO.

Agree, Martin has been great at times but I think Ridley is a better user of the ball at the moment.

When Martin was moved back McGrath was not in the best form. This is not the case now as he is almost AA level so I think we should use Martin in a more attacking role.

Martin forward of centre adds much greater value to scoring potential IMO.

McKay & Laverde being down there frees up Ridley to be more aggressive in his positioning as well. Ridley being forced to defend a dangerous forward is a win for the opposition, same way McGovern and Tom Stewart are 'nullified' by being forced to play on a more dangerous player.

I notice the pattern of not being "ready" against teams we should dismantle comfortably a regular thing. West Coast game we were not great but did enough to just hang on.
North game yesterday, I could just sense it would be the same. They always bring us back to their level and we seem to struggle through games and just do enough. This weekend vs Richmond, we won't flog them, we just need to ensure we do enough to get the 4 points. At this stage of the year, bank the points and run...!
North were actually pretty competitive. Maybe because it's their GF but their intensity was good for much of the game. Their midfield has some (young) star power and got hold of us a bit. They will win a few games in the second half of the year.

Feel like we could really break Richmond though and to be honest... no sympathy.

They will be primed so the best thing we could do is put a few goals on early. Even if the Tigers start well I reckon we will gap them by half time and run away with it in the second half.

Round 11: Dreamtime at the G – Richmond Tigers vs Essendon Bombers, Saturday, 25th May, 7:40pm

Just want to start with a respectful acknowledgement of the Aboriginal lands I’ve been privileged to grow in. I was born in Gangalu country in Central Queensland and grew up in Quandamooka country in the Redlands. I’m writing this now as a 20 year resident on Wiradjuri land in New South Wales. I pay respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who have been the traditional custodians of our beautiful country and its waters since time immemorial, and to elders past, present and emerging, including any who may be about to read this highly impressive piece of writing 😊

The Richmond Football Club hosts the 20th instalment of the AFL’s marquee game for Sir Doug Nicholls Round. That’s probably about as prestigious as this preview is going to be for Richmond.

Silk handed the baton over last week with the comment that the Tigers are back to their true selves. Holy crap. Are they ever. They were 10 goals down to the Lions by half time on the weekend, conceding a score of 83, and ended up losing by 119 points. North Melbourne is their own special brand of s**t, but if the Tigers keep playing the way they are, maybe the Kangas can take them to court for some kind of copyright infringement. I mean, they’d probably lose that too, but you couldn’t blame them for trying to find another revenue stream.

That said, Essington is a strange and mysterious beast that has tormented the faithful around here for such a long time that no-one would be in the least bit surprised if the Tigers decide to recall their recent dynastic premiership capacities late in the third quarter while we embarrass ourselves. For this reason, it’s probably worth remembering these words from Braddles after we were lucky to get away with a win against the Eagles towards the end of last season;

“We are nowhere near that stage going into a game thinking that the four points are banked and it’s all about percentage…

One of the hallmarks of a young and inexperienced team is that potentially when they think things are just going to happen for them, they learn a harsh lesson…”

Fun And Games Falling GIF

I know we beat the Kangas on the weekend, but that was then and this is now. Richmond is a proud club. No doubt Adem Yze will put the acid on the players and they rise to the occasion. It’s Dreamtime, always was and always will be; time is immemorial and there’s no beginning and no end, you want to make your existence in the moment count for something. That’s the pleasure of Marngrook. Hopefully both sides play for the joy of it and we see our amazing game for what it is – a celebration of true Aussie spirit. Now that I’ve gotten out my best Brett Kirk impression, let’s get to the game!

__________________________________________________________________________________

What Happened in Round 9?

As mentioned, Richmond got mauled. I watched them try to play Brisbane but I kept getting distracted by the class of the Lions’ chemistry. It was nice of Richmond to volunteer to help Brisbane out with their extended training drills. In fairness, they had 15 of their best 22 out injured and really were continuing their form from the previous week where they suffered a 91 point drubbing by the Dogs. It wasn’t just a rotten night on the scoreboard either. Every commentator’s new favourite player, Mykelti Lefau, joins the injury list after someone tested the strength of their patella on his jaw in a marking contest; a pity for him because he has mobility and skill and looks promising for them, though perhaps not in the ruck. Speaking of the ruck, Nank took out his own team mate, Rhyan Mansell, leaving him concussed. That brings their injury list to 17. Other than destroying his own (can we consider that clumsiness is a feature of Nank’s game style?) he was one of Richmond’s best on, winning the hitouts by one tap, which gives an indication of how poor the Tigers’ midfield was. Again though, the list of personnel missing there includes, Taranto, Hopper, Baker, Ross and Graham. Prestia was there and tried hard, picking up 23 touches and 6 clearances, alongside Bolton with 18 touches. Interestingly, on a night where Brisbane dominated possession, Prestia only laid one tackle to Bolton’s six, yet Bolton seemed to play an unaccountable role at stoppages, giving his man (often that was Neale) plenty of space to move. He looked like a bit of a front runner.

BRISBANE 7.4 13.5 21.6 26.7 (163)
RICHMOND 0.5 2.6 4.6 6.8 (44)

GOALS
Brisbane:
Lohmann 5, Cameron 5, Daniher 3, Rayner 3, Morris 2, McInerney 2, Zorko, Sharp, Reville, McCluggage, Ah Chee, Hipwood
Richmond: Cumberland 2, Mansell, Lefau, Coulthard, Balta

BEST
Brisbane:
Neale, Zorko, Lohmann, Daniher, McInerney, Cameron
Richmond: Rioli, Prestia, Dow, Brown

INJURIES
Brisbane:
Nil
Richmond: Lefau (jaw), Mansell (head)

SUBSTITUTES
Brisbane:
Shadeau Brain (replaced Hugh McCluggage at three-quarter time)Richmond: Matthew Coulthard (replaced Lefau at half-time)

Crowd: 27,200 at the Gabba

The Bombers’ test of maturity came the next day. Most of us were keen to see whether the mental game would have the impact we’ve seen so often over the years where we seem to think we should only play to match the performance standard of the oppo. And we kind of did and we kind of didn’t.

After giving up the first goal and a slogging through a slow start, the boys tightened the defence and North found it challenging to take clean marks inside 50. And although we kicked the last three goals of the quarter to lead at quarter time, Xerri was enabling North to dominate clearances and stoppages. In fact, the Dons did not win a CC in the first quarter. That first quarter pretty much foreshadowed the pattern of the game. They won the clearances and dominated possession, we’d dial up the defensive pressure until they turned the ball over then we’d carve them up.

I dunno. It was a win that felt like not much was going on, but look, Peter Wright kicked 4 on a first gamer, Guelf kicked 3 and now has 6 goals in two games – could being a centurion see him evolve into an ace small forward?, Laverde kept Zurhaar quiet, Martin, McGrath and my man Redders gave us plenty of rebound and McKay kept Larkey restricted to one goal. Caldwell and Perkins gave the forwards some exquisite service going inside fifty. Langers had a dirty day, kept quiet by Aiden Corr. Parish and Cox were late outs for Shiel and Tsatas respectively. Shiel didn’t do much. Tsatas was quite reasonable. There’s a watch on Duz who was subbed out with a rolled ankle; hopefully he’s all good.

We won without dominating, but we were the better side and were never really challenged. Oh well, Dreamtime at the G is where we’re at next Saturday night, and we go in in second spot on the ladder.

Weird Feeling GIF by Harlem

ESSENDON 4.2 7.5 15.7 16.10 (106)
NORTH MELBOURNE 2.2 6.4 8.4 10.6 (66)

GOALS
Essendon:
Wright 4, Guelfi 3, Stringer 2, Merrett, Tsatas, Jones, Davey jnr, Gresham, Perkins, Langford
North Melbourne: Davies-Uniacke 2, Pink, Zurhaar, Stephenson, Taylor, Duursma, Larkey, Xerri, Ford

BEST
Essendon:
Merrett, Martin, Caldwell, Guelfi, Perkins
North Melbourne: Davies-Uniacke, Sheezel, Corr, Powell, Xerri

INJURIES
Essendon:
Nil
North Melbourne: Miller Bergman (hamstring)

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon:
Dylan Shiel (replaced Harry Jones in the fourth quarter)
North Melbourne: Eddie Ford (replaced Charlie Lazzaro in the third quarter)

LATE CHANGES
Essendon:
Darcy Parish (calf tightness) replaced in selected side by Elijah Tsatas
North Melbourne: Nil

Crowd: 43,125 at Marvel Stadium

The Last Time We Met

Last year’s Dreamtime game was one of our best wins for the year, breaking a nine year drought with Duz sealing victory seconds before the final siren. The Tigers were relentless but we matched their pressure and kept coming back within striking distance. Perhaps this was the game that first revealed Edge™.

Yiooken Award voting

Zach Merrett (Essendon) – 12 votes (3,3,3,3)
Tim Taranto (Richmond) – 4 votes (2,2)
Shai Bolton (Richmond) – 3 votes (1,2)
Jordan Ridley (Essendon) – 3 votes (1,1,1)
Daniel Rioli (Richmond) - 2 votes (2)

Judges Voting (in order of their 3, 2, 1 votes):

Shaun Burgoyne
– Channel 7 (Chair): Zach Merrett (Essendon), Shai Bolton (Richmond), Jordan Ridley (Essendon).
Sarah Black – AFL Media: Zach Merrett (Essendon), Tim Taranto (Richmond), Jordan Ridley (Essendon).
Charlie King – ABC: Zach Merrett (Essendon), Daniel Rioli (Richmond), Jordan Ridley (Essendon).
William Gumbula – Yolngu Radio: Zach Merrett (Essendon), Tim Taranto (Richmond), Shai Bolton (Richmond).

Yiooken is a word from the Woiwurrung language of the Wurundjeri people which means ‘dreaming’.

ESSENDON 4.1 5.7 6.10 10.11 (71)
RICHMOND 3.5 6.6 8.10 10.10 (70)

GOALS
Essendon:
Weideman 2, Durham 2, A. Davey, Snelling, Menzie, Langford, Stringer, Menzie
Richmond: Bolton 2, Mansell 2, Martin 2, Ryan, Taranto, Graham, Clarke

BEST
Essendon:
Merrett, Ridley, Redman, McGrath, Durham
Richmond: Taranto, Bolton, Martin, Ross, Rioli

INJURIES
Essendon:
A.Davey (shoulder)
Richmond: Nil

LATE CHANGES:
Essendon:
Dylan Shiel (injury), replaced in selected side by Will Snelling
Richmond: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon:
Massimo D'Ambrosio (replaced Andrew Phillips at three-quarter time)
Richmond: Judson Clarke (replaced Thomson Dow in the third quarter)

Crowd: 78,300 at the MCG

The Selection Table

Possible Outs -

Goldstein – Towelled up by Xerri so perhaps needs a rest to be managed or support from Bryan. Discuss.

Durham – Rolled ankle watch

Jones – Was subbed out, not sure why. Is he injured? Not doing what he was told and now has to sit in the naughty corner?

Tsatas – If Cox is well. I thought Tsatas played well enough to get another game.

Possible Ins -
Bryan – As above
Cox – If he’s well again
Parish - ???

My Prediction – Pffft. You’re nuts if you think my tipping is worth looking at. I’m just following Silk’s template. Tigers will now have a point to prove but they’re missing too much class in the middle and McKay only has to mind Balta. Who we play on Nankervis is a mystery but we should get this done.

Essendon by about 5 goals.

Let’s go Donnnerrzzz!!

Mandaang guwu. Cheers silk, back to you!
If I could I'd give a bonus like for using the word "dynastic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back