Game Day Round 11 vs. Fremantle, OS, 8:10pm Friday 24/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone suggest what the reasoning might be for naming Bruzzy on the Interchange?
I just can't recall the last time this happened.

I have no real issue with HH as a player

I'm just saying purely based on last week. Let alone the combined fortnight with the West Coast game where Fin was great.

Fin also has really good hands and he's not exactly slow.

I just think Fin seems to be really hard done by. But as Mollythedolly suggested yesterday to me (one of the rare posters to actually reply in a mature and reasonable manner) it could be a specific role thing,
Agree - Finn has good hands, but HH is elite, with a matching Footy IQ.
Arguably had 2 match winning moments this season - Tap to space for Nick to goal against Carl, and the “give” in the Adel game I mentioned earlier.
He is a great thinker in clutch moments- you can’t teach that.
And I say that while also being a Finn fan.

Locked In Glitch GIF by Xbox

Can someone suggest what the reasoning might be for naming Bruzzy on the Interchange?
I only think it's simply to confirm a few of the newbies in the 22 in their positions & not as potential subs : Dean, Allan, etc.

I think the sub will be either Parker or Richards.

Means nothing as far as Bruzzy is concerned, imo.

If Freo can't beat us with all our outs then they may as well shut the club down.

They've been talking a big game all week but this has the scent of a Collingwood backs to the wall game about it.

They cannot score and will keep us interested all night.

Freo by 3 goals at 3/4 time. Let's see what happens.

Thanks Bryza! Appreciate someone returning my comment, who has been around a while 😁

I remember a game against the Dockers in 2013, where we came back from about six goals down and almost cornered them in Perth. They ended up running away with it, but we did get in front for a short while. I think it’s a matter of taking our chances…

I think the media get more views talking down Collingwood. We are the reigning premiers, but we still are seen as gettable, despite the fact we have gone undefeated in 7 weeks.

It serves us well to go as the underdogs.
Thanks, Foreigner, for the rationalising my thoughts!

How many times can we remember going in as underdogs, and winning? The best examples might be:

Brisbane Rd 8 2002
Port Adelaide QF 2003
Eagles Rd 9 2005
Eagles EF 2007
Geelong Rd 9 2008
Western Bulldogs Rd 1 2010
Adelaide Rd 9 2012
Geelong Rd 8 2013
Geelong Rd 6 2017
Richmond PF 2018
West Coast Rd 17 2019
Geelong QF 2019
West Coast EF 2020
Adelaide Rd 12 2021
Melbourne Rd 13 2021 and 2022

That’s just looking at extreme degree of difficulty, given the opposition relative to us on the ladder. Tonight does not have that kind of feeling. I woke up pretty excited, until I had time to wake up, and start worrying again 😂

Just to add, they said last night that this is Sydney’s best start to a season since 1936. We were going back-to-back that year, and we got them in the grand final. If that isn’t an omen, I don’t know what is!

Thoughts Cousin of Daicos ?

Illusion of strong squad. “Maynard is on the BENCH?! Geez these guys are star-studded!”

Hide Dean, Harrison, Richards in pockets and flanks. Genius.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HH has amazingly quick hands - some of his “gives” to set up goals were sublime. Including the one in the chain for the winning goal.
When combined with his speed and Footy IQ he’s going to be very hard to drop.
The handball that led to the winning goal was so fast you needed to watch the footage several times to catch it.

Absolutely nothing to do with the game but have had some membership stuff ups where my packs went to the wrong place. Very proud to have my 50 year member badges arrive today.

Attachments

• IMG_4257.png
    IMG_4257.png
    669.8 KB · Views: 15
Why did Jordy fly to Perth if he's not playing? Seems strange
Maybe just to support the team from the sidelines - doesn't seem that strange to me. Perth isn't a bad place to visit this time of year either. Get out of the Melbourne bubble etc. Could be a number of reasons.

At least it's reassuring that selectors are prepared to move on players that they feel don't adequately perform or fit the team's structure. I didn't see much of either player on the TV last week, but I did see HH's crucial involvement in the winning goal. He is making a habit of inhabiting pivotal moments in games. I didn't see Finn do anything as team or score lifting.
Finn had 2 excellent goal assists - set up Pendles’ one two with JDG for a goal in the 1st Qtr. Then contested a mark at HB recovered first to give off a HB to Pendles who then hit JDG I50 for a goal.

Last edited:
Mean … Collingwood is older but that number is always grossly distorted by outliers. Needs further standard deviation analysis to quantify the effect of that. Take off the two highest and lowest for example and the mean changes a lot
Median. Where’s the middle player in the list sits ( ie player number 11.5 out of the 23) rounding up or down it doesn’t matter, Both sides have that player in the 50-99 games bracket. That’s pretty even.
Mode. The bracket where most of our players sit. Both in the under 50 category. Also even . We have two more in the 100-149 and two less in the 50-99 bracket so slight experience sdvantage there. For. Veterans over 150 games we only have only player more in those groups than Fremantle

Bottom line Pendles and Sidey are outliers and massively distort the average stats. But they are only two players.
Thanks - I've been working on that.

Vintage Throwback GIF by US National Archives

Thanks Bryza! Appreciate someone returning my comment, who has been around a while 😁

I remember a game against the Dockers in 2013, where we came back from about six goals down and almost cornered them in Perth. They ended up running away with it, but we did get in front for a short while. I think it’s a matter of taking our chances…

I think the media get more views talking down Collingwood. We are the reigning premiers, but we still are seen as gettable, despite the fact we have gone undefeated in 7 weeks.

Thanks, Foreigner, for the rationalising my thoughts!

How many times can we remember going in as underdogs, and winning? The best examples might be:

Brisbane Rd 8 2002
Port Adelaide QF 2003
Eagles Rd 9 2005
Eagles EF 2007
Geelong Rd 9 2008
Western Bulldogs Rd 1 2010
Adelaide Rd 9 2012
Geelong Rd 8 2013
Geelong Rd 6 2017
Richmond PF 2018
West Coast Rd 17 2019
Geelong QF 2019
West Coast EF 2020
Adelaide Rd 12 2021
Melbourne Rd 13 2021 and 2022

That’s just looking at extreme degree of difficulty, given the opposition relative to us on the ladder. Tonight does not have that kind of feeling. I woke up pretty excited, until I had time to wake up, and start worrying again 😂

Just to add, they said last night that this is Sydney’s best start to a season since 1936. We were going back-to-back that year, and we got them in the grand final. If that isn’t an omen, I don’t know what is!

Thoughts Cousin of Daicos ?

I think we'll win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back