AFL Toast Round 12: 70 Point Win Against Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. I don't boo, I don't like booing, and I appreciate that he had to do what was best for himself and his family. But in this case, if other people want to boo him then I think they have every right to, the way he went about it was absolutely atrocious.

I don't see booing as the personal insult that others do. It's more about the theatre and having the opportunity to be a part of the drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for the game. Plenty to like away from the obvious.

• Blocking for each other would be at an all time high. Even Jobe was blocking at clearances during the game :thumbsu:
  • Te team defense and roll over onto opponents was as good as i have seen for years if not ever.
  • Forwards leading to different areas or dragging their men away from the contest
  • Kelly. Just organizes the defense so well. Hope he play on.
  • Tommy Bell playing like Tarzan two week in a row.
  • Spread from the contest.
  • Hooker taking his turn and showing his value as a forward
  • The trust we have in playing good team defense allows us to spread and kill sides with our run.
  • Hartley back to watching the ball rather than the man. Makes defending a lot easier.
  • Stewart. May not clunk big marks but he is not just a plodding forward. Will be a bit up and down but i really like what i see.

There will be games where we look bad. The style we are setting up can fall apart if we do not use the ball well like the Richmond game. It is however bloody special to watch when it is working. The next step for us is to keep working in plan B for times when sides are shutting the middle down. The only real poor point for mine was the start of the second quarter. Our forwards let them run off the square too easily and it set up two of their quick goals. Other than that very happy.

Can Essendon win the premiership?

our best footy is better than anyone's this year. the Dogs haven't played anywhere near close to their best (premiership hangover) and Adelaide are the yardstick currently. that leaves it wide open.

we still need to close the gap between our best footy and our worst. our games against Richmond, Carlton & Melbourne were riddled with errors. we're also susceptible when opposing teams block the corridor. I haven't seen Woosha implement a plan B when A isnt working.

we are on the rise, but until we get some consistency week in / out; we aren't quite there yet.

The first quarter was the best we've played as a club since early 2013.

Now... any chance we can play with some continuity for the remainder of the season? The 'norm' now would be revert back to mediocrity for the Swans game in two weeks time. As a club it's time for us to put multiple wins in a row together and the footy on show last night proves we are capable.

Spot on.

They normally have their way with us up there & it's time we turn the tables. We jag a win up there on the back of last night & our draw opens right up!

Watershed game for us I think.

we still need to close the gap between our best footy and our worst. our games against Richmond, Carlton & Melbourne were riddled with errors. we're also susceptible when opposing teams block the corridor. I haven't seen Woosha implement a plan B when A isnt working.
I don't know about the Melbourne game but Carlton and Richmond both applied a lot of pressure and forced mistakes. I'm sure teams will be looking at how they can replicate that when they play us and until we are able to weather that sort of pressure we'd just be making up the numbers in the 8

Another pleasing aspect was when Port challenged us early in the second and kicked the first three of the term and got it back to 21 points. The old Essendon would've lain down and even lost from there but we responded and kicked something like the next 5 or 6.

our best footy is better than anyone's this year.

our games against Richmond, Carlton & Melbourne were riddled with errors. we're also susceptible when opposing teams block the corridor. I haven't seen Woosha implement a plan B when A isnt working.
Played at the right time we've seen that it can happen.

I always thought it might take 8-10 weeks for the banned players to come good. I didn't think we'd be 6th with Hurley in AA form and hooker to be such a beast. We're looking good with those young guys having a full season in them and Hartley learning fast how to beat no 1 forwards.

Agree on Woosh though, not very proactive or reactive when necessary on game day.

Could last nights win get anymore glorious.

Just found out my husband was eliminated from a knockout tipping comp at the TAB last night cos he picked Port.

Hahaha Loser (though the $500 would have been nice)
I just ******* love that you value your husbands humiliation about not backing your boys well in excess of $500 cold hard.

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we have some serious questions though
Parish will be fit after the bye. Who comes out?
Ambrose -> where does he slide in?
Langford -> tearing up the VFL. Whose spot can he take.

I like this depth.
Parish is a straight swap for Howlett. Langford could replace Colyer. Ambrose? We'll build that bridge when we come to it. He won't be fit until round 17 and when that comes around I expect he'll play 3 weeks, possibly 4, in the VFL as I don't think we'll need him desperately for the Bulldogs or Blues.

379681_452d25236433a1deb2be1f42da0346de.png

What a legend!

Does the VFL play this week?

Parish comes in for Howlett.

Langford is the hard one. Have no idea who to drop for him after that game. Myers maybe, Langford though wont block like Myers does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back