Preview Round 15, 2018 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

i haven't seen enough of Frost, either in his Collingwood days or at NEAFL level to really have an informed opinion.

I'd be happy to recieve some enlightenment from better informed contributors.

It seems to me though, that if he is reasonably competent as a defender, he probably is on "standby" for Darcy, I guess that would mean that McStay and Walker could then provide a certain amouny of flexibility at either end of the ground. I think I'd prefer Walker and Gardiner/ Frost as the lockdown defenders and McStay up forward as plan A.

Walker looked good after he went down back against GWS and MC Stay appears to have been groomed all season as a KPF. Apart from some atrocious set shot kicking for goal, I think he's actually looked the part so this is the way I would roll if I were in charge

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d hope

In: Frost, Robinson, Bastinac
Out: Andrews, Bailey, Mayes

Hodge Gardiner Robertson
Rich Frost Witherden

Taylor Robinson Zorko

Rayner Hipwood Beams
McStay Walker McCluggage

Foll: Martin, Berry, Bastinac

Matho, Lester, Cutler, Christensen
And McStay in for Big O out, according to your team. 4 changes all up.

nothing against the BIG O but why is fagan keep persisting with him in the FWD line, he hasn't offered much we should just be playing two tall fwds and maybe rest Stef one week and give BIG O a shot as the number one ruck.
Fagan has said a couple of times now that with the Big O there Hipwood has more freedom and is playing better. I took that to mean his is quite tall and attracts a tall backman where ever he is so they can double team Hipwood if that ever did happen. I've always taken it as an indication they want to get as many games into the Big O as he is the anointed one to replace Martin either next year or the one after.

nothing against the BIG O but why is fagan keep persisting with him in the FWD line, he hasn't offered much we should just be playing two tall fwds and maybe rest Stef one week and give BIG O a shot as the number one ruck.
He's the best we have... who we gonna play there instead? Walker? He's s**t as a forward and has had his chances. Besides he plays better down back IMO. McStay can't ruck, Hipwood can't ruck and will get broken in half if he does...

Have a listen to the bye week Roar Deal podcast. David Noble was on it, and gave a great insight into the club's look at our forward line.

To sum up (from memory, and a couple of weeks later, so don't hold me to it):
- Having the three-tall forward line is straightening us up and helping us retain structure well
- Oscar's clunking a couple, but he's good at bringing it to ground, and that's a win for us. Overall, the things we're measuring that aren't always frontline stats, Oscar's excelling at.
- With Big O, our forward 50 pressure is actually increased (compared to an extra small), and his defensive work is highly rated by the club
- Having someone as tall is Oscar in the forward line is creating some mismatches when it comes to defensive players. Depending on who the KPDs are, they might have to send their best defender to Oscar just because of his height, which would have the potential to give someone like Hippy a shot at the 2nd defender, instead of the first. So it's creating synergies across the forward line. I think he said this exact thing happened in the Dogs match (or maybe the North match? I can't remember).
- Very good second ruck, offers a different dimension compared to Stef.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back