Review Round 15, 2018 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Freo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Best indicator for me that Rayner is starting to find his feet is the time he spent in the centre and the impact he had in there. Will be a goal-kicking midfielder in the Dusty/Parker mould I have no doubt. Dusty may have the edge in skill but Rayner's aerial ability is something that will set him apart from most midfielders. He was an elite overhead mark at U18 level and will only improve in that area as he matures.

I've watched the replay twice and will probably watch it again. Can't get too much of a good thing.

Berry is an extremely impressive player. He'd walk into any other side. Hope we've got him Eddie-protected. When he tackles they stay tackled. When he bores in look out.

Cutler is greatly reducing the intervals between his very good and bad. His kicking action is terrific.

Mitch sets the tackling standard. When he isn't there he is badly missed. Not in terms of possessions but attitude.

The hardest win of all, but I wish our coaches would avoid talk of the "longest trip". That would be the trip the WA sides make every second week. It's a national comp [more so when Tassie gets a team].

And while we're at it, it's true that Freo lost 2 good ones, but we were missing a quite good one too. And Berry was well on top of Fyfe before his injury.

What a day at the footy, too many beers on a school night after the game....paying the price now haha

Like many have mentioned, McLuggage was very impressive. He's such a smooth mover across the ground, seems to have a high cruise speed when getting around and the ability to weave in and out of traffic to clear the ball was first rate. McLuggage is the silk and Berry the brawn in that combo, they're going to be very good in a couple of years time. Rayner will also be a great package in the midfield, needs to tidy up some of his disposal and decision making but all the ingredients are there.

We set up well defensively all game, coupled with some poor Freo disposals made it very difficult for them to transition the ball. We were first rate though. Our hands in close were far too good for Freo and were able to clear the ball to the release runners.

Good clean ball made it a welcome change for the forwards, McStay contested for the ball really well and Eric had an 'almost' game. Would like Hippy to be cleaner with his touches, hopefully it improves.

Walters (Freo) need to seriously stop leading with the head in tackles, i thought ducking was your prior opportunity gone yet he never got pinged....go figure!!

All in all what a win at a fantastic new stadium. I haven't been to Adelaide oval yet but this one here in Perth for mine is the best that I've been to.

What a day at the footy, too many beers on a school night after the game....paying the price now haha

Like many have mentioned, McLuggage was very impressive. He's such a smooth mover across the ground, seems to have a high cruise speed when getting around and the ability to weave in and out of traffic to clear the ball was first rate. McLuggage is the silk and Berry the brawn in that combo, they're going to be very good in a couple of years time. Rayner will also be a great package in the midfield, needs to tidy up some of his disposal and decision making but all the ingredients are there.

We set up well defensively all game, coupled with some poor Freo disposals made it very difficult for them to transition the ball. We were first rate though. Our hands in close were far too good for Freo and were able to clear the ball to the release runners.

Good clean ball made it a welcome change for the forwards, McStay contested for the ball really well and Eric had an 'almost' game. Would like Hippy to be cleaner with his touches, hopefully it improves.

Walters (Freo) need to seriously stop leading with the head in tackles, i thought ducking was your prior opportunity gone yet he never got pinged....go figure!!

All in all what a win at a fantastic new stadium. I haven't been to Adelaide oval yet but this one here in Perth for mine is the best that I've been to.

Can't remember who the tackler was but he absolutely shat his pants when he got run down from behind. Dropped the knees when he saw contact coming.

Watched the game with my father n law on TV. He is not Australian and is over on holiday. He doesn't know afl but I was giving him some extra commentary during the game. After a couple of plays I had to catch myself as it was: that's Alex Witherden he's 19, that's Jarrod Berry he's 20, that's Hugh mcCluggage he's 20 that's cam Rayner he's 18, that's Eric hipwood he's 20! It hit home how young some of our key players are!!

As an aside my father n law commented on how hipwood looks like Nadal which my 7 year old laughed about as he is a tennis nut and told his grandfather that everyone thinks that!

The hardest win of all, but I wish our coaches would avoid talk of the "longest trip". That would be the trip the WA sides make every second week. It's a national comp [more so when Tassie gets a team].

Brisbane to Perth is literally the longest trip.

https://www.distancefromto.net/city-perth-au

Disclaimer: I don't count publicity stunts like Wellington or China.

(Just did my head in - Perth to Cairns is less than Perth to Brisbane.)

Can't remember who the tackler was but he absolutely shat his pants when he got run down from behind. Dropped the knees when he saw contact coming.

He does it a quite often, when he gets caught the umps seem to apply the 'Chris Judd' rule...play on!!

I think it was in the third term, on their half forward line he took at least 5 steps, ducked his head straight into the tackler....I maybe be biased but how that wasn't paid holding the ball has got me buggered.

He does it a quite often, when he gets caught the umps seem to apply the 'Chris Judd' rule...play on!!

I think it was in the third term, on their half forward line he took at least 5 steps, ducked his head straight into the tackler....I maybe be biased but how that wasn't paid holding the ball has got me buggered.

Yeah I think we're thinking of the same incident

It's not diffucult to come to the conclusion that there really are two sets of rules in Perth.

One for the home team and another for the oppostion.

There is obvious lack of consistency in application of two rules in particular"

1) Holding the Ball and 2) In the Back

And then there was the blatant high scrag on Berry in the marking comtest in the lasrt quarter. Yeah we got a goal out if it anyway but how the **** there was no free kick paid there is a total mystery. Worst non-decision this season by quite a margin:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
What about when Hipwood standing at 203cm was tackled around the head and the ump said play on! Special effort to get your arms above Erics chest.

Or when Nick Robertson took a mark and his opponent decided to make him earn it by wrenching his neck in a headlock and twisting his knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best indicator for me that Rayner is starting to find his feet is the time he spent in the centre and the impact he had in there. Will be a goal-kicking midfielder in the Dusty/Parker mould I have no doubt. Dusty may have the edge in skill but Rayner's aerial ability is something that will set him apart from most midfielders. He was an elite overhead mark at U18 level and will only improve in that area as he matures.
He has completely blown away my concerns on his supposed lack of tank. Looks very comfortable in the middle. He will still have to build up his two way running over time but he looks well ahead of schedule.

And you are right on his marking. I'd say he is already looking elite for his size at this level. Looks great overhead

The youth section of our list looks better as our younger players mature and new recruits get used to the game at this level. Still in all sorts of trouble with the 25 to 30 year olds on our list, especially if Beams departs.

The youth section of our list looks better as our younger players mature and new recruits get used to the game at this level. Still in all sorts of trouble with the 25 to 30 year olds on our list, especially if Beams departs.

It'll be a small setback I think. Zorko still has a while to go. Bailey can replace his pace in 3-4 years.

I think Beams will be easier to replace. By the end of the 2020 season he'll probably be our 5th best midfielder.

I agree. Thinking about where we are at now we have 7 players that I believe can become truly elite AFL Players on our list. I would put Raynor, Andrews, Berry, Hipwood, McCluggage, Cutler and Witherdon in that category. I think the midfield is covered, but I would love a bit more experience in the side after the next draft. Clearly we use early picks for best youth and then we look at who is available in that 25 - 30 bracket.

Long time between drinks. My son's first live game was the 'Polks torp' win against the Eagles. He was so young he didn't know we'd actually won until minutes after the siren. He thought we were still celebrating the goal.

Since then; he's been to (I think) another dozen Lions games. 4 at the Gabba, 2 in Melbourne, 5 or 6 here in Perth. (He was onfield mascot in 2 of them.) But today was his second live win - and he told about 137 Dockers fans in the 40 minute train ride home. Thankfully they were all quite patient and accepting, and I made sure he was polite and not gloating ('gloatful?') about it.

My 11 year old just went to bed wearing the jersey he wore all weekend. He has the cap he got signed by Luke Hodge at training yesterday sitting on his desk.

That's why you rock up when you're 1-12 and rank underdogs. That's why you ignore the snipes from colleagues, casual acquaintances and just plain dicks. That's why you don't spend too much time wondering why posters here who are often so consistently negative and spiteful.

I got so used to losing this decade that I now realise I forgot how valuable winning can be. After the Hawks win I was just so pleased for the Gabba faithful who show up fortnight after fortnight to expend your energy and passion, so often for naught. I had a headache at half time from yelling. I spent the second half stressed until we we up by 50 plus with only minutes to go. I am frankly exhausted now.

Sport is such a silly thing to get so wound up in. But I've done it for so long and I won't change now. My only regret is I finished my good scotch last night in some sort of perverse 'advance disappointment deadening'. The cheap stuff will have to do.

Go Lions! And Go Hard for the rest of 2018. The future is always coming, but it's closer than it's been for a long while.

One of the posts of the year I reckon. Great stuff!

The umps still got booed off the field at half time.

I just watched the replay.

it was a special passage of play in the second quarter where we drove then back with pressure act after pressure act, culminating with a walk in goal by McStay. Really inspiring stuff.

Reaction by at least some of the crowd:

BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:think::huh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or when Nick Robertson took a mark and his opponent decided to make him earn it by wrenching his neck in a headlock and twisting his knee.

Got the feeling his papers have ben marked by the umps since that time he had the temerity to take on and rag doll poor widdle Buddy.

I just watched the replay.

it was a special passage of play in the second quarter where we drove then back with pressure act after pressure act, culminating with a walk in goal by McStay. Really inspiring stuff.

Reaction by at least some of the crowd:

BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:think::huh::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is frustrating when the anger stems from a basic lack of understanding of the rules like when Berry got the 50m penalty.

Back