Review Round 15, 2018 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Freo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think from memory they were actually trying to get to pick 1, because they were keen on McGrath.
Bombers just wouldn’t hand it over.
Taranto was the very good back up plan.

At trade period the draft order was a lot more up in the air. From the outside looking in at that time:
  • Essendon were tossing up between McGrath and McCluggage.
  • GWS wanted McGrath if Essendon passed, but loved Taranto as a backup plan.
  • IIRC we rated McCluggage #1 but rated Taranto and McGrath right up there.

I hope this Rayner guy is as good as this Raynor fellow that is frquently refererenced in this forum.

We need to kill the O.

At trade period the draft order was a lot more up in the air. From the outside looking in at that time:
  • Essendon were tossing up between McGrath and McCluggage.
  • GWS wanted McGrath if Essendon passed, but loved Taranto as a backup plan.
  • IIRC we rated McCluggage #1 but rated Taranto and McGrath right up there.
We knew McGrath wouldn't be available at 3 so it was either McCluggage or Ainsworth. We weren't keen on Taranto.

Coaches thought we had the 7 best players on the ground. Surprised Clug didn't get more

FREMANTLE v BRISBANE
9 Dayne Beams (BL)
6 Jarrod Berry (BL)
6 Stefan Martin (BL)
4 Eric Hipwood (BL)
2 Cameron Rayner (BL)
2 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
1 Lewis Taylor (BL)

Well one of the coaches was astute enough to only give Beams 4.

Obviously marked him down on his aversion to defensive running:think:;);)

Slightly off topic, but not sure of the appropriate thread. Buying tickets soon for Saturday's game v Carl. Does anyone know if Section 24 or Section 21 are looking into the sun or not? Would prefer to avoid that.Thanks in advance.

Well one of the coaches was astute enough to only give Beams 4.

Obviously marked him down on his aversion to defensive running:think:;);)

Ross the boss gave him 5 for letting Neale run free in the first half probably

We knew McGrath wouldn't be available at 3 so it was either McCluggage or Ainsworth. We weren't keen on Taranto.

I really liked the idea of drafting Ainsworth at the time but getting Hugh has worked out just fine.

The need I thought we had for a medium midfield/forward in that draft got filled when we got Rayner in the next.

At this stage Rayner is probably an upgrade on Ainsworth anyway so it worked out well methinks.

We need to kill the O.
images

That's a little harsh, been playing well. :(

Slightly off topic, but not sure of the appropriate thread. Buying tickets soon for Saturday's game v Carl. Does anyone know if Section 24 or Section 21 are looking into the sun or not? Would prefer to avoid that.Thanks in advance.

both will be. You'll need the western side in order not to be, especially at that time of the day.

If you get the chance, take a look at all the goals for the Freo game on the Lions website and look at how often Lewy Taylor is involved in the play leading up to goals.

He is increasingly picking out the right target at the right time. A couple of them showed real thoughtfulness about not just the right target but the right disposal to get the ball there. An example was a great chip over to Cutler from the boundary to set up one goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really agree with this... in modern football you need to stay on your feet in contests. The days of diving on the ball (unless you can stand straight up again) are gone, especially with the rule where you slide in and take out the legs of the other guy. Falling over is a huge disadvantage defensively and has been an issue for us for a while. If you're on the ground your opponent can break clear and your ability to apply pressure and chase is gone. Robbo is still playing old style football in this respect, and it's a weakness in his game. Dayne Beams to a lesser extent. It's also a weakness for us generally... we go to ground too much during centre clearances and sacrifice our ability to apply defensive pressure. The best teams don't do it, they stay on their feet as much as possible. Anyway I suspect we're working on it, but it's one area of our game that we could significantly improve.
We are missing Rocky no doubt. He's going strong at Port. Oh well..

Ainsworth was attached to us because of his comments more than vice versa.

If you get the chance, take a look at all the goals for the Freo game on the Lions website and look at how often Lewy Taylor is involved in the play leading up to goals.

He is increasingly picking out the right target at the right time. A couple of them showed real thoughtfulness about not just the right target but the right disposal to get the ball there. An example was a great chip over to Cutler from the boundary to set up one goal.

I know you're a fan of LT and probably given to pumpimg up his tyres.

However, you are right here. I thought he had a fabulous game and that's why I gave him a vote in the poll ahead of Cutler, McStay and even Rayner

I really liked the idea of drafting Ainsworth at the time but getting Hugh has worked out just fine.

The need I thought we had for a medium midfield/forward in that draft got filled when we got Rayner in the next.

At this stage Rayner is probably an upgrade on Ainsworth anyway so it worked out well methinks.
Ainsworth would be a star in a top 4 team. Bit hard to shine in his position playing for Gold Coast. But I'm happy with Hugh and Rayner!

Ainsworth was attached to us because of his comments more than vice versa.

That is not quite right mate - we were right into him but was going for Mc first.

Funny story his uncle had a draft party....and after pick 2 was read got changed and ran out in his new Brisbane Lions jumper ready for Ben to be pick 3. Was hilarious when we didn't read his name out!

Please Len, go piss on someone else's parade. Lester also had 4 score involvements, 12 pressure acts and 6 intercept possessions. Two turnovers? Big ******* deal.
Stay in the world of fantasy......pressure acts!And you didn't mention tackles.Proportionate to possessions,he stuffs up with increasing invention.The switch,Ziebell goaled from, at Etihad ,is typical of his " showreel".

Back