Review Round 16, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams has 14 disposals in the second quarter. I don't think he was tagged for the whole quarter

It was being discussed in the commentary during the second quarter I think. But I didnt think the change happened until at least late in the quarter. But if someone wants to go rewatch the 2nd I'll trust them

IIRC the commentators mentioned the change late in the second. It could have happened earlier though.

Wouldn't surprise me if at centre bounces Zorko went to SPS (instead of the other way around) and instead of Curnow leaving Beams free he went over near him.

View attachment 525257

First bounce of the second quarter. Zorko and Beams in the same centre bounce, SPS next to Zorko and Curnow standing next to Beams
Off topic but outside of Cripps what an uninspiring midfield Carlton possess. There should be major warning signs about the quality of their list, particularly after so many high draft picks over the past few years. They look as bad as us under Leppitsch.

Watching some of the replay last night and noticed a good example of what Lester brings to the team. The clever toe poke from the boundary while on the ground to a team mate who took it down to our F50. Reckon Lester is an underrated player

Lester’s weaknesses are often obvious but I think some of his strengths can go unnoticed. He really is a smarter footballer than people often give him credit for. And I think the coaches like that they can just give him a job to do when he comes up from NEAFL.

He plays a role as required by the state of the game and opponent and every team needs players like him who can be called up, given a job and get on with it. Perhaps that makes him a classic depth player and not an automatic selection in the first 22 but we still need some players like him - good size, experienced, understands the structures, does the team things and plays whatever role is required on the day.

Watching some of the replay last night and noticed a good example of what Lester brings to the team. The clever toe poke from the boundary while on the ground to a team mate who took it down to our F50. Reckon Lester is an underrated player
Lester’s weaknesses are often obvious but I think some of his strengths can go unnoticed. He really is a smarter footballer than people often give him credit for. And I think the coaches like that they can just give him a job to do when he comes up from NEAFL.

He plays a role as required by the state of the game and opponent and every team needs players like him who can be called up, given a job and get on with it. Perhaps that makes him a classic depth player and not an automatic selection in the first 22 but we still need some players like him - good size, experienced, understands the structures, does the team things and plays whatever role is required on the day.

Yep - noticed numerous times his leading/dragging opposition players out and away from the eventual ball drop area, allowing Hippy etc. to lead into the created empty space. Also did a lot of unrewarded running across the ground, for so so long we have had stagnant movement from so many players, I'm now starting to see a lot unrewarded team running, if they are are not creating an option then they are creating more one-on-one options for team-mates. As I said, big picture team benefiting ball movement and a lot less dumb selfish one-two stat building and thoughtless kicking forward to numbers.

Has been working well against non-thinking training cones the last two weeks but a truer litmus test will come this week, in the cold and against a far smarter and skilful opponent in Hawthorn, who have a finals berth to play for.

Hopwood was involved in 11 goals. First goal of the game it was very smart to tap the ball on rather than take possession.

Yep - noticed numerous times his leading/dragging opposition players out and away from the eventual ball drop area, allowing Hippy etc. to lead into the created empty space. Also did a lot of unrewarded running across the ground, for so so long we have had stagnant movement from so many players, I'm now starting to see a lot unrewarded team running, if they are are not creating an option then they are creating more one-on-one options for team-mates. As I said, big picture team benefiting ball movement and a lot less dumb selfish one-two stat building and thoughtless kicking forward to numbers.

Has been working well against non-thinking training cones the last two weeks but a truer litmus test will come this week, in the cold and against a far smarter and skilful opponent in Hawthorn, who have a finals berth to play for.
I was reading about strikers at the world cup and the struggles of Messi. It was talking about their most important work is often the runs without the ball that create space. It opens things up for others to score. If they are the only option and all play goes through them then they can look poor.

This probably lines up reasonably well with AFL. Carlton (Sydney are kind of similar) were going almost exclusively through Curnow and we could somewhat shut it down.

If someone like Lester can be dangerous enough to drag open a hole for someone else its absolute gold. It isn't on the stats and can be hard to see on tv but it's what teams need to succeed

If Lester drags a player from Hipwood and it directly results in Hipwood marking and kicking a goal- then technically it's a goal assist even though he won't be credited with one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Lester higher than most but saying he's the Lionel Messi of Aussie Rules might be a bit too much.

;)
Haha a little much but the concept of creating space is a big one. We seem to have been better recently. Whether that is McStay O Lester or others doesn't really matter too much. But it's an important part of the game that is hard to see from the outside

Haha a little much but the concept of creating space is a big one. We seem to have been better recently. Whether that is McStay O Lester or others doesn't really matter too much. But it's an important part of the game that is hard to see from the outside

It definitely is and I think our current forward setup is doing it better than we have in a very long time.

Interestingly I noticed watching the Freo game live we often setup with the 3 keys as the deepest forwards. Might be just to keep the opposition defenders on their toes not knowing who will push up the ground.

All this talk of Lester creating space in the forward line, I'm confused, hasn't Lester been playing in defense since coming back into the side?

Maybe I'm going prematurely senile.:shoutyoldman:
Defensive forward role. General role is to pin down the opponents best rebounding defender.

It was mentioned earlier that the Qld Governor had been at this game...

..kept meaning to ask, was there a particular reason he was there or is he a Lion and snuck out to watch this brilliant match?

It was mentioned earlier that the Qld Governor had been at this game...

..kept meaning to ask, was there a particular reason he was there or is he a Lion and snuck out to watch this brilliant match?

Was there as Andrew Wellington’s guest seemingly.

Goodo thanks......hope he enjoyed himself, might in some way help us along the way somewhere.;)

Governors are pretty minor in terms of celebrity or public/political influence but it doesn’t hurt I guess.

So he has been playing forward, well paint me green and call me a cucumber I'm done. Optometrist appointment coming.
Seems to bob up all over the ground really. From tv the last few games I would have thought he 50% back 30% forward 20% middle. Would be good if someone had those heatmap things for him though

Back