Preview Round 16 2021 - Melbourne v GWS Giants, 1.45 pm @ MCG, Sat 3 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
In the last three weeks, GWS has been unable to beat either the last or second last placed teams. This week we play the ladder leaders, Melbourne, at their home ground. One guess how this is going to end up. Last time we played Melbourne, in Manuka, we were well in the fight until we lost around 800 games of experience in a quarter as Phil Davis, Stephen Coniglio and Matt de Boer all got injured, and we just ran out of puff with the reduced bench.

I don't know why we capitulate to poor teams - is it the gameplan, are the players just not motivated, or what? Over the last few weeks we've trickled a few experienced players back into the team; expect more this week as Hogan, Coniglio and Taylor come off the injury list - but do they need a run in the seconds to regain match fitness? I reckon we've missed Sam Taylor the most - with him playing, our defence was holding pretty well; we've crashed without him in three of our last four games. Hogan was well provides a focus and hardness that our attack otherwise lacks.

For mine, we've done our dash to make finals this year, and should focus on developing the kids for the future. I doubt Leon thinks that way - unfortunately, I think his approach is part of our fundamental problem.

What I'd like to see is some of our long term underperformers sit out - Harry Himmelberg (less so Jeremy Finalyson, but I can understand why some would have him on the chopping block), Matt de Boer (unless he's given a hard tagging role on Clayton Oliver), and it's probably time to spell Bobby Hill, who shows flashes but not substance for long enough. While I don't think he's been the biggest problem, I'd sit out Kennedy to allow Lachie Ash into the team - he's our future and needs to play. Personally, I'd keep the inexperienced ruck combo and pump games into them, but I'd expect to see Briggs go out for the experienced Mumford to battle Gawn. I'd normally opt to drop Reid, but we probably have no-one else who can play that lockdown defender role that he does (not that well - a missing piece of our list).

Tom Green & Lachie Ash should be straight in. If Sam's OK to play (syndesmosis injury may leave him a little underdone) I'd probably bring him in and keep Buckley, with Idun having a rest - that reprises our optimal tall setup (when we've played well from defence!) of Davis/Taylor/Buckley/Haynes, giving Haynes more latitude to take intercepts. Bringing Jesse Hogan in, provided we're sure of his fitness, would help in the front half.

My ins: Green, Ash, Hogan, Taylor.
My outs: de Boer, Kennedy, Himmelberg, Idun. (I've opted to keep Bobby in for his speed, which we're going to need. Idun doesn't necessarily deserve to be dropped, although he probably needs to do more in the counterattack, but mainly for balance in defence at this point.)

Davis Taylor Buckley
Haynes Ash Cumming
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Flynn Hopper Taranto
Greene Lloyd Daniels
Hogan Briggs Finlayson
IC: Perryman Green Reid Hill Medi-sub: Kennedy

Leon's likely ins: Mumford. Despair.
Leon's likely outs: Briggs. Hope.

Have at it.

After some thought I reckon I’ve settled on my preferred ins and outs
In:Greene/ash/hogan/Taylor
Out: Kennedy/MDB/Reid/Briggs

this has idun playing as the small defender (he played well on betts a few weeks ago), and TOJ as the back up ruck
This makes a huge job for Flynn this week but even if we played two rucks gawn will towel us up anyway. He only needs to half the contests and limit HOTA

After some thought I reckon I’ve settled on my preferred ins and outs
In:Greene/ash/hogan/Taylor
Out: Kennedy/MDB/Reid/Briggs

this has idun playing as the small defender (he played well on betts a few weeks ago), and TOJ as the back up ruck
This makes a huge job for Flynn this week but even if we played two rucks gawn will towel us up anyway. He only needs to half the contests and limit HOTA
We lost first time around because Flynn couldn’t play a full game against Gawn and he destroyed us. Either mummy plays with Flynn or both young tucks miss out.

play mummy this week and then give him the week off against the Sun’s who don’t have an experienced ruck.

if Taylor and Hogan get up and play 1’s I think we are a red hot chance in this game

We lost first time around because Flynn couldn’t play a full game against Gawn and he destroyed us. Either mummy plays with Flynn or both young tucks miss out.

play mummy this week and then give him the week off against the Sun’s who don’t have an experienced ruck.

if Taylor and Hogan get up and play 1’s I think we are a red hot chance in this game

That and losing, what, 4 stars out of the game in the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

Well I want Hogan in. But I don't want to drop TOJ or HH either. And I don't think we can have three key forwards AND a resting ruck... which is why I advocated one ruck

Its a jumble

like Ash & Green in
non-plussed with Mummy but understand it up against Gawn

Name Sam Reid as the medical sub for the next 8 games - he’s versatile and doesn’t have to play much (if at all) and that way he gets to 100 club games so we can get first dibs on Elijah in a few years time.

Hopefully Ash and Green come out with a vengeance to send a message to the coaching staff for dropping them

Lachie Ash must be dazed and confused being swung between the 1s and the 2s each week.

A costly selection error to omit him last week.

Let’s hope this week he help us escape the virtual prison that is our D50.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a bad line-up on paper, but team mindset is the real problem. If they were serious about finals, we would have beaten North and the Hawks.

Sam Taylor's the one we really miss. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not back until the derby. Syndesmosis injuries take a long time to heal properly and appropriate rest is the only thing that works.

It's not a bad line-up on paper, but team mindset is the real problem. If they were serious about finals, we would have beaten North and the Hawks.

Sam Taylor's the one we really miss. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not back until the derby. Syndesmosis injuries take a long time to heal properly and appropriate rest is the only thing that works.
Very true
It’s so hard to predict a return date cos it’s such a complex joint to be injured

Himmelberg staying in is really disappointing. Guy should’ve been sent a message. 4 goals in 6 games, not even a goal/game this season. I know he plays as a high HFF a bit but what an awful season. Riccardi should’ve taken his spot this week.

Himmelberg staying in is really disappointing. Guy should’ve been sent a message. 4 goals in 6 games, not even a goal/game this season. I know he plays as a high HFF a bit but what an awful season. Riccardi should’ve taken his spot this week.

I think our problem is that only Hogan is a genuine KPF1.

HH, a genuine KPF2/3, has been forced into that KPF1 role since R1 and he was solid and very hardworking - albeit never great - in the first few rounds. He just looks ground down and exhausted to me. I’m not sure he so much needs a ‘message’ as a simple ‘rest’. Surely they’ll spell him next week against the Suns if Hogan is available?

Riccardi is a slightly weirder one, although he’s also feeling the spillover effect of our lack of a true KPF1. So are they grooming him to play KPF2/3 or KPD2/3?

Then we’ve got KPF 2/3 TOJ who was bizarrely in exile without explanation by Leon while HH was being belted in our early round games. And overall, TOJ might now be having the most successful season of all our KPFs.

I imagine we’ll be taking our two top 10 draft picks and looking for a KPF and/or KPD. We just need to avoid being distracted at the draft and buying ever more inside mids.

Last edited:
That's a predictably lazy, attention seeking take from Barrett above.

In the Footy Phil they have spent the past two episodes eloquently explaining the rationale behind the Green omission.

I agree the Ash in/out/in was harder to rationalise.

Green an obvious media target because Phil has been very, very strong on him being Rising Star.

In a micro sense you can maybe rationalise all the selection U-turns, but big picture these players - who are definitely central to the future of the club - are in and out each week and that cannot be great.

I think our problem is that only Hogan is a genuine KPF1.

HH, a genuine KPF2/3, has been forced into that KPF1 role since R1 and he was solid and very hardworking - albeit never great - in the first few rounds. He just looks ground down and exhausted to me. I’m not sure he so much needs a ‘message’ as a simple ‘rest’. Surely they’ll spell him next week against the Suns if Hogan is available?

Riccardi is a slightly weirder one, although he’s also feeling the spillover effect of our lack of a true KPF1. So are they grooming him to play KPF2/3 or KPD2/3?

Then we’ve got KPF 2/3 TOJ who was bizarrely in exile without explanation by Leon while HH was being belted in our early round games. And overall, TOJ might now be having the most successful season of all our KPFs.

I imagine we’ll be taking our two top 10 draft picks and looking for a KPF and/or KPD. We just need to avoid being distracted at the draft and buying ever more inside mids.

In other words, we're missing Jeremy Cameron.

In other words, we're missing Jeremy Cameron.

He was a 2nd tall. He and the team were at their most damaging when Patton and Lobb were taking contested marks inside 50.
This is why Cameron at Geelong is so damaging. Hawkins does all the heavy lifting drawing the defenders and Cameron gets plenty of real estate to work his magic

He was a 2nd tall. He and the team were at their most damaging when Patton and Lobb were taking contested marks inside 50.
This is why Cameron at Geelong is so damaging. Hawkins does all the heavy lifting drawing the defenders and Cameron gets plenty of real estate to work his magic

Agreed.

Riccardi last year showed glimpses of KPF1 in his first few games of 2020, but it’s proven fleeting to date.

Hogan promises it all, but will he ever again play a 20 game regular season?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back