Preview Round 16 - Bombers vs Swans - Saturday 02 Jul @ 1:45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarke is depth and not even signed for next season

They don’t rate him highly

Jmac when in form is best 22, he's been out of form and we have wingmen/hb who can perform a similar role. Jmac is not best 22 if he's out of form. Clarke pretty much shutdown one of the best hb in the comp last week while being effective in our forward 50.

I think they are gonna back JMac to get in form come finals, but nice to see Fox rewarded for the defence played last game. Cunningham given a wake up call.

Although I don't deny that Fox and Stephens will need to have good to great games from now on to hold their spots over Cunningham.

Last edited:
When was Lloyd dropped?
Did I say he was? I didn't say I was talking about the selectors.

Edit: My point is that Lloyd and Cunningham, like JMac, when in form, absolutely waltz into our 22. Some have argued for the former to be dropped when out of form (something I eventually agreed with), but hey, JMac seems to be no problem even if he isn't really doing much for us at the moment. Lends a bit of support to a personal theory of mine that some notice the flashier (highlight) players more and give them more leeway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still best 22 easy

Lloyd should make way then or Florent who have been worse despite the weekend
Is an average of about 15 touches and 1 tackle per game for a wing best 22? Because that's what McInerney has provided for the last 2 months. His disposal hasn't been at its creative and penetrative best either.

You've been a Stephens critic, and he's averaged better than that this season, and had 23 touches and 2 tackles last week.

On second thought I'm wondering if Clarke is that unlucky. He's a limited player, I think even his biggest advocates would agree about that. So it makes sense he'd be something of a "role player" whenever he's in the team. I even said during the week that his best chance at a long-term future with us is as a defensive forward role player.

The problem with role players though is that if the coach deems you to not have a particular role needed on any given week, your value to the team plummets. Clarke literally got praise from the opposition coach last week for the role he performed, and a week later his own coach hasn't seen the need for such a role in this game.

So is Clarke unlucky, or is that just the reality of being a role player?

Is an average of about 15 touches and 1 tackle per game for a wing best 22? Because that's what McInerney has provided for the last 2 months. His disposal hasn't been at its creative and penetrative best either.

You've been a Stephens critic, and he's averaged better than that this season, and had 23 touches and 2 tackles last week.

No reason both can’t be our wingers I like Campbell more forward. In a weird way JMac needed that break

I reckon our lads would be more fired up to make it a memorable game for Parkers 250th than Essendon showing some fight for an action that happened weeks ago...
I also don't think any bombers player has actual mongrel in them. They seem like a very timid bunch...
Draper is their hitman.

On second thought I'm wondering if Clarke is that unlucky. He's a limited player, I think even his biggest advocates would agree about that. So it makes sense he'd be something of a "role player" whenever he's in the team. I even said during the week that his best chance at a long-term future with us is as a defensive forward role player.

The problem with role players though is that if the coach deems you to not have a particular role needed on any given week, your value to the team plummets. Clarke literally got praise from the opposition coach last week for the role he performed, and a week later his own coach hasn't seen the need for such a role in this game.

So is Clarke unlucky, or is that just the reality of being a role player?
Every team needs role players. Could have played the same role as he did on Sinclair against Hind this week, and the Bombers would lose the majority of their ability to rebound IMO.

Every team needs role players. Could have played the same role as he did on Sinclair against Hind this week, and the Bombers would lose the majority of their ability to rebound IMO.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm saying maybe Horse doesn't see it that way. If he felt the need for Clarke to perform that role outweighed the possible contributions from McInerney, then maybe he'd have kept Clarke in over McInerney. Any given week it could be different.

I'm not disputing the need for role players, I'm saying their security in the team is always going to be on something of a knife's edge as their value to the team can differ so much from week to week.

We're 11th league wide in the inside 50 tackle count.
Reid and Buddy lead the way for us in that stat.

At the end of the H&A season the ladder leaders have over the previous 6 seasons finished 1st, 2nd, 4th, 3rd, 4th and 1st in the I50 tackle count.
Last year we were 5th in that stat. Melb, Lions, WBD and St K were the top 4.

Last year Wicks was our pressure forward, but has dropped off this season.
Clarke came in last week and although he only had the one tackle, but did a fine job locking down Sinclair.
I would have thought given his performance last week, along with our generally poor I50 tackling/pressure, he would have been retained this week.

McInerney for Campbell (relatively like for like) makes much more sense to me than Clarke out.
Campbell may be the future, but performances should be rewarded.

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm saying maybe Horse doesn't see it that way. If he felt the need for Clarke to perform that role outweighed the possible contributions from McInerney, then maybe he'd have kept Clarke in over McInerney. Any given week it could be different.

I'm not disputing the need for role players, I'm saying their security in the team is always going to be on something of a knife's edge as their value to the team can differ so much from week to week.
That's fair. I think players like McInerney and Campbell have been a bit too inconsistent with what they have offered us this season, whereas with Clarke, you at least know what you're going to get every week.

For me though, it's really just the optics and morale side that leaves me a bit disappointed. Can't be a great thing for players in the twos see someone earn a recall, do exactly what they're asked, and be dropped for someone who has been woefully out of form for the majority of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back