Preview Round 16 Vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. Last time we made a 143 point improvement from that game. We're not doing that again, surely. At least an effort like last week will be tolerated big time.

Melbourne
Round 1: Port Adelaide 19.19 (133) defeated Melbourne 8.6 (54)
Round 2: Essendon 28.16 (184) defeated Melbourne 5.6 (36)
Round 3: West Coast 27.15 (177) defeated Melbourne 13.5 (83)
Round 4: Melbourne 22.12 (144) defeated Greater Western Sydney 15.13 (103)
Round 5: Brisbane 17.20 (122) defeated Melbourne 14.10 (94)
Round 6: Carlton 18.13 (121) defeated Melbourne 8.12 (60)
Round 7: Gold Coast 16.18 (114) defeated Melbourne 7.12 (54)
Round 8: Richmond 15.16 (106) defeated Melbourne 11.6 (72)
Round 9: Fremantle 19.16 (130) defeated Melbourne 6.4 (40)
Round 10: Hawthorn 21.17 (143) defeated Melbourne 6.12 (48)
Round 11: Collingwood 17.20 (122) defeated Melbourne 5.9 (39)
Round 12: Bye
Round 13: St Kilda 16.8 (104) defeated Melbourne 10.9 (69)
Round 14: Melbourne 15.13 (103) defeated Footscray 15.10 (100)
Round 15: Sydney 16.20 (116) defeated Melbourne 13.7 (85)

What a good effort last week, and proved that the win against the Dogs wasn't entirely a fluke. However, it wasn't enough to get the four points.

Players to Watch:
Dean Terlich: Again, excellent last week, and continues to strengthen his B&F chances in his first season - an amazing achievement. Terlich collected 27 disposals last week against the Swans and also got a nomination for mark of the round. Terlich has been consistent since he got his opportunity in the second round and should be in the top three in our B&F.

Jack Fitzpatrick: Mentioned him last week but he was fantastic against the Swans. Having battled chronic fatigue since the age of five, and type one diabetes, his coming of age since he came back into the side is a feel good story in a torrid season. Kicked three goals last week (admittedly one of them came from a shocker of a free kick), and should be backed to do another good job at the Cattery.

Geelong
Round 1: Geelong 14.9 (93) defeated Hawthorn 12.14 (86)
Round 2: Geelong 16.16 (112) defeated North Melbourne 17.6 (108)
Round 3: Geelong 18.11 (119) defeated Carlton 15.13 (103)
Round 4: Geelong 19.10 (124) defeated Sydney 16.7 (103)
Round 5: Geelong 15.17 (107) defeated Footscray 13.8 (86)
Round 6: Geelong 20.11 (131) defeated Richmond 13.9 (87)
Round 7: Geelong 17.11 (113) defeated Essendon 11.19 (85)
Round 8: Collingwood 15.12 (102) defeated Geelong 14.12 (96)
Round 9: Geelong 18.8 (116) defeated Port Adelaide 9.14 (68)
Round 10: Geelong 18.15 (123) defeated Gold Coast 10.11 (71)
Round 11: Geelong 24.13 (157) defeated Greater Western Sydney 15.8 (98)
Round 12: Bye
Round 13: Brisbane 15.13 (103) defeated Geelong 14.14 (98)
Round 14: Geelong 11.19 (85) defeated Fremantle 7.2 (44)
Round 15: Geelong 11.16 (82) defeated Hawthorn 10.12 (72)

Geelong continued their push for a fourth premiership in seven years with their 11th straight victory of the Hawks since the infamous 2008 Grand Final, following from their big win over the Dockers the week before. The kids continue to shine and help the Cats build a huge foundation for the next decade.

Players to Watch:
Joel Selwood: Let's face it, the bloke's a gun. 34 touches and 151 SuperCoach points last week. Say what you want about his ducking technique, the fact is that this bloke can get the footy and when he does, he uses it bloody well. Kicked a goal last week, and laid seven tackles. Would think Selwood would figure for top 10 in Brownlow calculations given Geelong's 12-2 W/L record IMO.

Jordan Murdoch: Big last quarter on the weekend kicking three goals, and collecting 17 disposals for the game. Murdoch had his best game for Geelong since making his debut midway through last year and has now shown his potential in big games. Pretty highly rated down at the Cattery.

Prediction
While the smartarses will think that another 186 might occur here Geelong traditionally struggle against teams which are struggling. It took until the last quarter to shake off GWS, as well as Gold Coast, but also lost to Brisbane. However, when they are on, they are really on - reference their two wins over Hawthorn, their defensive performance against the Dockers, and their win over the reigning premiers in Sydney. Another effort like last week against the Swans would be hugely appreciated from the supporters. Go Dees.

Hello Melbourne, forgive the intrusion but I wish you no ill. No one likes to see what happened last time and you are a changed team. Schwarter happens to be a hero of mine, and the pain in his SEN voice reflects what hell you guys have been through. On a positive note I love the look of Jack Fitzpatrick enough to grab him for my Supercoach. We also have a player that fought the health odds in Lonergan, and class will always out, so here's hoping your boy can cut a bit of Irish luck. In my experience at the game I've respected the Melbourne and Footscray supporters for their equilibrium and humour, and our club has encouraged humility in the culture across the board. Since we can be spasmodic and you guys have experienced a turnaround-you just never know.
38 goals in your last 3 games is not to be taken lightly. So here's to a good game and the kermits not making too many daft calls.

We will lose this obviously, but I think we will be competitive throughout the day, we may very well go down by 10 goals but it will be a compettiive 10 goal loss, if that makes sense. The boys seem to have a bit of pride about their performances again.

Hi Dees fans , just wanted to make comment in regards to Jack Fitzpatrick and Jack Watts - both these guys looked like they didn't really fit in under Neeld but now he has been replaced they appear to have a new lease on there football life, watching both the bulldogs and Swans games you can see they are a lot more confident in there ability to make a contest and take a decent grab...long may it continue

Hi Dees fans , just wanted to make comment in regards to Jack Fitzpatrick and Jack Watts - both these guys looked like they didn't really fit in under Neeld but now he has been replaced they appear to have a new lease on there football life, watching both the bulldogs and Swans games you can see they are a lot more confident in there ability to make a contest and take a decent grab...long may it continue

Thanks for your post mate. A couple of us met the two of them the other day and were backed up as much. They were treated very poorly by Neeld, they weren't his boys.

Thanks for your post mate. A couple of us met the two of them the other day and were backed up as much. They were treated very poorly by Neeld, they weren't his boys.

from the outside looking in it looked like that he would have been happy to let Watts leave and Fitzpatrick would have been delisted

from the outside looking in it looked like that he would have been happy to let Watts leave and Fitzpatrick would have been delisted

100%, unless Jack F had played like this with Neeld in charge.

I think he would have been dropped for St Kilda, myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am really enjoying the 'new' Melbourne of the last few weeks, the fight is there and on effort the boys will take it to Geelong but unfortunately we're so poor skilled that turnovers will see a significant Cats win I think. Further improvement is what we need to see.

I'm always up for that at the G or Etihad, not sure about Geelong tbh

Geelong is one of the best! The only area you can get a ticket to is the standing area and it's full of some of Geelong (and the world's) finest!!!

Good for a laugh, just pull yer head in!

Geelong is one of the best! The only area you can get a ticket to is the standing area and it's full of some of Geelong (and the world's) finest!!!

Good for a laugh, just pull yer head in!
I bet it is mate, just never been to the sleepy hollow and don't fancy my first time alone.

Now you can understand my aversion :p
My first time was the video that whoopsman posted. Went down with a Geelong-supporting mate. They were something like 6-7 goals up at half time and he had the nerve to ask whether I wanted to leave early. He's still cleaning egg off his face to this day.

You can see why I decided to move down the highway. Too bad we haven't been able to replicate that result since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back