Autopsy Round 17 2017 Sydney Swans vs Greater Western Sydney Giants. Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Was he really that bad? I've watched the game twice and thought he was pretty decent.

We will need him over the next month badly- St Kilda, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Geelong all have very dangerous smalls.
Mate.
Sometimes the sh.t on here is deluded.
It's like the high of the win has worn off so time to get a kick out of smashing players with tbe keyboard.

I'd back Breust (or Cyril), betts (or Cameron) and Menzel to beat smith at this stage of their respective careers. I'd rather smith retire at seasons end than McVeigh or grundy. Though I'm not sure we have a small defender to replace him.
Just back your own players mate.
They've just won 9 of the last 10.

I've been thinking about our predicament with Reid getting injured in yesterday's game. It's taken me 24 hours but I've finally had a brainwave.
I don't think I've heard anyone mention this recently, so...................Why don't we try Allir at CHF against the Saints? And..... being rather tall, he might be handy in the ruck too. Thoughts?

Was it just me or did the Swans start winning the clearances in the last quarter? Does anyone know what we did differently to turn it around?
Qtr by qtr clearances
GWS 12-6 11-11 13-7 17-10

Was he really that bad? I've watched the game twice and thought he was pretty decent.

We will need him over the next month badly- St Kilda, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Geelong all have very dangerous smalls.
Don't think he's played badly, defensive unit has been cohesive and he's solid enough. Thought he was manning Greene most of the night and didn't think either of Greene's goals were on him. Lost a one-on-one against Johnson in the last quarter but that happens sometimes.

Don't think he's played badly, defensive unit has been cohesive and he's solid enough. Thought he was manning Greene most of the night and didn't think either of Greene's goals were on him. Lost a one-on-one against Johnson in the last quarter but that happens sometimes.

If he was he won't be the first or last small forward to get a few kicked on them by Greene. The bloke is a gun. Even so I think Greene only kicked 2. That is decent enough by Smith.

I've been thinking about our predicament with Reid getting injured in yesterday's game. It's taken me 24 hours but I've finally had a brainwave.
I don't think I've heard anyone mention this recently, so...................Why don't we try Allir at CHF against the Saints? And..... being rather tall, he might be handy in the ruck too. Thoughts?

Pass. Lets not completely change our structure that we have worked so hard on achieving this last 2 months. No issue if AA comes in and plays Reid's role but I do question whether he is confident enough in his knee yet and wasn't great in the reserves this week.

Pass. Lets not completely change our structure that we have worked so hard on achieving this last 2 months. No issue if AA comes in and plays Reid's role but I do question whether he is confident enough in his knee yet and wasn't great in the reserves this week.
Was actually taking the p*ss, Lukie, but thanks for your reply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was he won't be the first or last small forward to get a few kicked on them by Greene. The bloke is a gun. Even so I think Greene only kicked 2. That is decent enough by Smith.
Agreed. I thought neither of Greene's goals were conceded by Smith. One was a direct turnover at half back from Hanners - can't defend that and the other Greene got it straight out of a stoppage and snapped it. Smith's effort was more than reasonable.

Agreed. I thought neither of Greene's goals were conceded by Smith. One was a direct turnover at half back from Hanners - can't defend that and the other Greene got it straight out of a stoppage and snapped it. Smith's effort was more than reasonable.

Exactly, so he has maybe conceded 1 goal on the most dangerous small forward in the game...Hanners should cop the other one!

Anyone think our runner struggled with the messages?

Aliir is a good runner and communicator, could he be the runner this week?

Probably set his alarm wrong and deliver the wrong message to the wrong player.

Rampe was on Greene the whole night.

It was smiths kicking that was bad. Though the week before it was unusually good.

It's got me wondering, who are the best small defenders in the comp at the moment?

Rampe was on Greene the whole night.

It was smiths kicking that was bad. Though the week before it was unusually good.
I thought I recalled a number of instances where Smith was running with Greene, but perhaps I mistook him for someone else or the defenders rotated.

Smith's never really been renowned for his kicking, as long as guys like Lloyd, Rampe, Mills are on its not too much of a concern. Weaknesses of individual players in our defence most weeks are covered by the strengths of others.

Amazing to come away with the win and the fact we had pretty much a few goals buffer at every break including the final siren shows we really put in a four quarter effort. GWS are over-rated. They had a lot of injuries and played like s**t, but that was mostly because we finally put real pressure on them. Even their elite ball-users who WERE playing just did not have the luxury of all the time and space in the world that they usually have against us. I genuinely believe if we served up another 87 tackle effort combined with the defensive pressure all around the ground we applied, we would beat them full strength. Fight me.

This game also made me realise how much our midfield has changed. For so many years the definition of our midfield doing well has been how much of the ball Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker and Jack have had. I feel like that definition has changed now. A good midfield game for us now seems to be a dozen good players getting enough of the ball to make an impact, rather than 2 or 3 dominating with little support. Kennedy had 28, but then there was only 4 possessions difference between Hannebery, Jack, Lloyd, Parker, Jones, McVeigh and Heeney. Same as last week against the Suns: Lloyd and Parker had 30 and 29, but then Jack, Towers, Heeney, McVeigh and Papley had between 20 to 22 each. Against Melbourne, we had only one mid get over 30 (Parker), which would usually spell trouble for us. But Hewett, Kennedy, Lloyd, Jones, Newman, Papley, Heeney, McVeigh and Jack all had over 20 touches. We may get frustrated because it feels like our three All Australian star mids aren't performing at the standard we're expecting but it really hasn't hurt us at all, and that is a really good thing.

Double what.

Our back six the best in the business. We got smashed in clearances, contesteds and I50s and totally smashed their forward line.

It showed again that when the Swans bring their intensity they can win.

I still wouldn't want to meet full strength Giants in the finals though.
I think there's a bit of confusion arising here because "Mickey Mouse" can mean really good, or really bad. Pretty sure the original comment meant the former.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back