Review Round 17, 2022: Box Hill Hawks v Werribee Tigers, 16 July 2022, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks' 15 point loss last weekend at home to Southport saw the Hawks slip outside the eight heading into this weekend's crunch game against Werribee, who are coming off a percentage boosting 62 point win over the Coburg Lions last Saturday. The hawks are now a game outside the eight, with fifth through eighth all on eight wins, compared to Box Hill's seven wins. Box Hill only is eighth on percentage, with Richmond and the Suns snapping at the Hawks' heels.

However, a win over Werribee would see Box Hill climb back into the eighth, as Werribee is one of the four teams ahead of Box Hill by a game. The Tigers sit sixth at the moment, on percentage.

Indeed, a top four finish isn't yet out of the question for Box Hill, if they can rediscover their form. While Casey Demons have essentially sewn up the minor premiership, being undefeated after 14 rounds, and Southport look pretty settled in second place with 11 wins, only two wins separate third (Brisbane Lions, on 36 points) down to 11th (the Suns, on 28 points). So, if the Hawks can find their mojo and some other results go their way, the Hawks could make a late season charge to the top four.

Conversely, a loss to Werribee could make things difficult for Box Hill to reach the finals this season. The Hawks travel to Preston next Sunday (24 July) to take on the Northern Bullants, then have a bye at the end of July in round 19, followed by a trip down the Peninsula to play Frankston, then a home game in round 21 against Geelong before finishing the season with a match against the Swans (the last round is a floating fixture, so the date and time of the game has not yet been confirmed, but it will be a Box Hill home game).

Accordingly, on the run home, the Hawks have matches against two teams currently inside the top eight (Werribee and Sydney Swans), with a third against a club that sits a game behind Box Hill currently (Geelong), but they also have a game against the bottom team in the competition (Northern Bullants).

As usual, the game will be streamed live on AFL.com.au, and there will be radio coverage brought to you by 3WBC 94.1FM, and the Box Hill Hawks twitter account will bring score updates.

Teams to be named.

Haven't got to a Box Hill game yet this year which is pretty ordinary by me, if I was still living in Bayswater I'd have made an appearance for this one today. Big game for them.

As in he's done his hammy a third time??
I thought the most recent injury report said that he had finally recovered from it!

All the senior emergencies are listed here.

Given we may now ‘play the kids’ of the line up I’d think only Lynch Serong Kosi would get more than a ‘token’ game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perplexing decision by Beasley to give the opponent the breeze despite winning the toss.

Very sloppy game so far. We're defending hard but have shot ourselves in the foot with poor delivery. Serong deserves more reward for his efforts.

Perplexing decision by Beasley to give the opponent the breeze despite winning the toss.

Very sloppy game so far. We're defending hard but have shot ourselves in the foot with poor delivery. Serong deserves more reward for his efforts.
Nah, love the Box Hill City Oval kicking with the wind last quarter comeback.

Geez it's great having Shiels in Box Hill at his stage of his career.

He is just class and composed, sets such a good example for the younger blokes. Exactly what you need.

Very wasteful quarter from us.

Lynch very good in the ruck.

Jeka looks great as a defender, intercepting when required and using his clean skills for defensive exits.

Sheils/Howe/Phillips expected performances.

Ramsden & Serong are both raw but show AFL qualities. Both will benefit from increasing their endurance and size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back