Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

arrrgh

I think our best and probably only chance of winning a game is if jump a team, we kick straight early and get a lead while we're fresh then have 2 or 3 bursts the rest of the match to hold on.

We simply can't go toe to toe a whole match and expect to last

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Positive and Negative:

Eagles supporters who dump on second to third year players at quarter time, only for them to turn it almost completely around and fight out the game. Ginbey, Hough, Chesser.

Past 3-4 weeks: "Oh, Ginbey can't find his own ball. Having serious doubts if he can have an AFL career. Should've drafted Josh Schacheche instead!"

How about some patience you chumps?

I'll stick with the positives.

• there's the semblance of a gameplan but we don't have the cattle.
  • Ginbey made me eat more words. Couldn't be happier he proved me wrong.
  • Yeo uninjured and back to he best, albeit for a half.
  • Reid
  • Barnett I was pleasantly impressed with
  • Jamieson shows he may have a future in the backline
  • Brockmans disposals are quality and a one touch player
  • Chesser developing
  • no Gaff or Witherden

Shame we were up against a top tier team.

Positives
Ginbey and Yeo tried their asses off.
Gov, TB and Hough defended well.
Flashes of Reid.
Hunt is probably our best player.
Petch seems to have developed into a forward.

Negatives
Way too many to list, but at least we are trying to take the game on, even if it means we stuff up a 3 metre handball.
Wouldn't mind seeing some more tackling efforts. Reid included.

On the plus side, Duggan improved his kicking and actually hit a few targets. Briggs was far too big but Barnett competed well. The difference in footy IQ when Maric, Brockman, Reid and Hunt get the ball is noticeable. Long also to a degree.
I hope Maric plays a full game this week and we can find a secondary role for Long up near the ball next week for this reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives only here also, obviously GWS are an elite side and they cut us up.

• Chesser looked awesome in second half
  • Ginbey using his frame to stand with the ball, accept the pressure and dispose.. very nice and P. Cripps like in that sense
  • Reid good again
  • Yeo looked good
  • JJ had a run; historically he takes a bit of time and match fitness to build momentum and rebound effectively. Started as an enthusiastic butcher but will improve

We really need a ruck though.

Positives
Hunt. Was BOG for us imo.
Reid...enough said.
1st quarter ball movement and pressure was beautiful

Negatives:
BBW at FF. Until we have Flynn back, he has to be our #1 ruck.
Our disposal and forward entry was still horrendous.
Cole...doesn't look confident at all when the ball goes near him

Also of note:
Petrucelle showing us a bit this year, hope he keeps it up.
JD, Waterman and Cripps worked their asses off today, can't ask for much more.
Duggan cleaned up his game from last week's steaming pile of sh*t
Jones provided A bit more dash from the back line, although his disposal left a lot to be desired

We didn't help ourselves with the turnovers, but we were playing a side tipped for the top 4 for the second straight week. Think these first few weeks are going to be pretty brutal until we get to the Richmond game, but it was heartening that we were (for the most part) trying to pressure and had a crack.

Ginbey had a good game, and I thought Hunt was also solid and didn’t drop his head. Brockman looks like a quality pick up — much like Reid, you notice when he has the ball as he makes the right decisions and does it quickly. Yeo busting tackles and slotting running goals was nice to see, too.

Hopeful we’ll get to see Hall and Burgiel soon.

Darling looks almost done. Reminds me of Pavlich in his last couple of years. Still can do the odd positive thing but slow and beaten 90% of the time. I feel that Waterman could replace him permanently. Bring in big Jack Williams to give us something to kick at.

Ledwards is never going to fit in this team. He has poise but is too slow and doesn't really have a role. We could bring in Hall for him this week.

Negative -
fumbles from senior players. Just unforgiveable
Chesser bad moments
Umpiring - like WTF? I mean whatever
Cole turnovers

Positives

Seemed like we tried something else for kick ins
Chesser responding after errors really good to see.
Brockman glimpses.
Reid. Just wow at times.
Hough- should be getting more love. Exciting.
Cole effort.

Missed a few. Really weird mixed bag today I feel.

+ Barrass, Gov, Ginbey, Yeo until he ran out of gas all good, Kelly worked hard as did Darling.
Effort was there, pity a lot of it was wasted.

- Basic skill errors and brain dead turnovers killed us.
We have drafted players in the last 3 or 4 years who aren't equipped for today's style of game, piss poor by the recruiting staff.
Someone should tell the AFL they can call the umps off now, we are already dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back