Game Day Round 2, 2024: West Coast vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of Jetta’s mastery was his ability to run, evade and time the pulling of the trigger just perfectly.

The closest I get to that level of excitement from the current team (Harley aside) is watching Jones’ run and dash, you just have to hold your breath on the disposal and whether he has any clue on where he is going. Jones sticks out like a sore thumb compared to our other backs who are probably missing the Rotham to the deep pocket outlet.

Looking at Jetta's highlights, he often pulls his 1st available option after spotting that it isn't quite on and then goes again and pulls the trigger on a pin point pass to a player in the clear.

Difference between an elite natural player with skills and footy IQ and a solid journeyman such as Duggan who just goes with the first thought or Witho, who procrastinates, procrastinates and procrastinates and then pulls the trigger on a kick that has no margin for error and which has been telegraphed to the opposition.

ELITE ball use. Those incisive kicks are what pick apart modern defensive set ups.

Who in the current team would be a) willing to bite those kicks off and b) be able to actually execute them?

In addition to Jetta’s elite skills by foot we also had Shep, Hurn & Schofield who were also tidy by foot.

Hopefully Burgiel comes on - we need ball movement off half-back.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just on half backs I am liking Jordyn Baker playing there seems he can defend one on one
He is also a very good kick and tackles strongly
So hopefully he Burgiel can continue to develop

As I will say
Jayden Hunt as been a shining light for us
Witherden and Cole have shown no ability to rise to the occasion
Both one on one they are poor defenders

Jarmaine Jones has shown good form when not injured
Looking at the rest of the list there is only Josh Rotham who should play as a half back
But Simpson hates him and plays him as a undersized key defender
(personally prefer him on a wing)

Then apart from Liam who is playing mid now we lack half backs
Every draft there seems to be elite half back's with elite pace and endurance in the
10 to 15 pick range we need a couple

As I will say
Jayden Hunt as been a shining light for us

To put this in its proper perspective- our “shining light” was let go from Melbourne with their blessing becuase he wasn’t in their B22.

He’s one of our top 5 players.

It shows just how far off the pace our list is.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Attack starts from defence. Only Gov has any sense of attacking disposal. Hunt was a valuable inclusion but most are C grade unfortunately. Dour stoppers at very best and the game has moved well past that.
Dour stoppers.

We can't stop anything. Plus there is a distinct lack of dour.

We're soft as down back.

I really don't see a lack of flashy HBF as an issue

That's not where our problems.

Jetta and ball users are cherry on a cake. Out issues lie with basics.

We may be a four goal better team but we are still down by 80 points

I really don't see a lack of flashy HBF as an issue

That's not where our problems.

Jetta and ball users are cherry on a cake. Out issues lie with basics.

We may be a four goal better team but we are still down by 80 points

I don’t agree with this.

Ball use in coming out of the back half has become a key part of the game. Lack of good
ball users in back half means we are constantly locked in our back half.

Great users from hbf are critical in playing front half football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones replacing Witherden
Chesser replacing Gaff
Barnett replacing Allen (with Williams spending more time forward)

Maric already named as sub

We’re quicker than last week
Barnett runs 20 metres in 3 seconds, thats really quick for a ruck. For comparison Dewar runs 20 metres in 3.01 seconds.

Barnett runs 20 metres in 3 seconds, thats really quick for a ruck. For comparison Dewar runs 20 metres in 3.01 seconds.
Really looking forward to seeing this kid in action. The bits I’ve seen of him he’s very aggressive in tackling and bodywork.
Young?Agressive? Big?
Gee that sounds like something we’ve desperately needed for a while . Yes I realise he’s not going to dominate, I just want to see a few flashes of that “something”!!

Really looking forward to seeing this kid in action. The bits I’ve seen of him he’s very aggressive in tackling and bodywork.
Young?Agressive? Big?
Gee that sounds like something we’ve desperately needed for a while . Yes I realise he’s not going to dominate, I just want to see a few flashes of that “something”!!
Thaught he looked our best ruckman in the short amount of game time he got against Adelaide in the pre season hit out. I too look forward to watching Harry "Bat Man" Barnett in action. I hope he can rid Gotham city of all evil. No pressure.

Remember Old Lady GIF by IFHT Films

I'm just happy to be here...
Maybe something exciting will happen?
A kid will stand out, some decent passages of play, a speccy goal, a senior will lift, a close game?
Farewell to the big blue blowup chook - the banner is back!
Bring on the melts!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back