Preview Round 2: Sydney vs Adelaide, Friday @ SCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no circumstances where Hayward is fit that I think that he does not play... certainly not based on the first game of the season. If I'm choosing between Blakey and Dawson, then it probably depends on the opposition, but Hayward stays...

I don’t disagree with that.

I am just putting the three together as similar types of players (medium forwards, Blakey is a true tall but effectively holds the spot as a medium type until he matures and plays as a true tall).

My point is more our forward line only needs 2 of these types but currently has 3.

I don’t know which to leave out as I like them all so I didn’t want to pick one to drop lol

In reality probably Dawson who is the slowest of the three (Hayward was recorded as the fastest player on the weekend at 32km/hr, followed by Cunningham at 31.2 and Blakey 4th overall at 31.1 which is bloody quick for a guy at 195cm).

Heeney to the middle first bounce please

And the rest of the young brigade. If Horse is serious about bringing in change to the midfield he has to accept we're not gonna get peanuts done with JPK and Parker, neither of who are suited to the new rules. They can still contribute but IMO they can't be our main men in there anymore.

I am just putting the three together as similar types of players (medium forwards, Blakey is a true tall but effectively holds the spot as a medium type until he matures and plays as a true tall).

My point is more our forward line only needs 2 of these types but currently has 3.

I don’t know which to leave out as I like them all so I didn’t want to pick one to drop lol

In reality probably Dawson who is the slowest of the three (Hayward was recorded as the fastest player on the weekend at 32km/hr, followed by Cunningham at 31.2 and Blakey 4th overall at 31.1 which is bloody quick for a guy at 195cm).
I do that think that Jordan Dawson is going to be unlucky in the timing of his career... If he stays with the Swans, he'll be depth simply because of his lack of pace, imo. With Papley, Hayward and Ronke (?), unless there's an injury (touching wood) he's just not going to get a look in. If Ronke doesn't come back up to scratch, then they will shop around again... for speed.

And the rest of the young brigade. If Horse is serious about bringing in change to the midfield he has to accept we're not gonna get peanuts done with JPK and Parker, neither of who are suited to the new rules. They can still contribute but IMO they can't be our main men in there anymore.

Parker should start there Imo. He was pretty instrumental in the 4th quarter saturday

Parker Heeney and probably hewett I guess at the bounce

Kennedy can go forward

Out of the three Hayward is easily the safest. Had a quiet night on the weekend as did all the others with only 9 touches but still ended up with 6 tackles and were it not for uncharacteristically inaccurate kicking, would've had three goals. I suspect just like last week, it will be between Dawson and Blakey (it may end up quite a similar tale between these two all season tbh)

Heeney to the middle first bounce please
I must admit, I'm hoping for a game where Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Heeney and Mills make up the midfield for the bulk of the time. It will mean the rest of the team is performing well and there are no fires to be put out for both Heeney and Mills to be playing mids at the same time, I reckon.

I do that think that Jordan Dawson is going to be unlucky in the timing of his career... If he stays with the Swans, he'll be depth simply because of his lack of pace, imo. With Papley, Hayward and Ronke (?), unless there's an injury (touching wood) he's just not going to get a look in. If Ronke doesn't come back up to scratch, then they will shop around again... for speed.

I have said this before but they should trial him off half back perhaps in the NEAFL. He is a strong mark and a booming left foot kick who could be damaging coming out of defence.

I don’t know if he has the aggression required to play on the ball at AFL level and whilst we have slower types that are better than him, he will find it hard to get a look in there.

Up forward he will be competing with Blakey and Hayward for a forward spot. I don’t like his chances of winning that battle over the course of time.

Out of the three Hayward is easily the safest. Had a quiet night on the weekend as did all the others with only 9 touches but still ended up with 6 tackles and were it not for uncharacteristically inaccurate kicking, would've had three goals. I suspect just like last week, it will be between Dawson and Blakey (it may end up quite a similar tale between these two all season tbh)

We need all these promising players to limit these off nights/nothing quarters of footy as an aside

And Blakey is almost certain to win that battle over the course of time I would think.

We need all these promising players to limit these off nights/nothing quarters of footy as an aside

Unfortunately you can't press fast forward on development. Hayward is 20. It's his third year. By this point in George Hewett's career, he had only just debuted. Dawson has only played 6 games. These guys will just take time. What doesn't help them is playing in a team where the leaders aren't leading by example.

I have said this before but they should trial him off half back perhaps in the NEAFL. He is a strong mark and a booming left foot kick who could be damaging coming out of defence.

I don’t know if he has the aggression required to play on the ball at AFL level and whilst we have slower types that are better than him, he will find it hard to get a look in there.

Up forward he will be competing with Blakey and Hayward for a forward spot. I don’t like his chances of winning that battle over the course of time.
So, if we're moving him down back, who could we replace? You like Lloyd on the wing, but I think he has good smarts, and if McVeigh retires and Mills goes to the middle, then I like Lloyd down there... however for the sake of argument, say Lloyds on the wing and Mills is in the middle, then we've got Reg &/or Melican, Rampe, Aliir, and who else would you play?

Unfortunately you can't press fast forward on development. Hayward is 20. It's his third year. By this point in George Hewett's career, he had only just debuted. Dawson has only played 6 games. These guys will just take time. What doesn't help them is playing in a team where the leaders aren't leading by example.

You saying we need Dean Towers back?/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Melican out for Thurlow would be the only change I would make.

But if Franklin is really having to be managed as much as Horse suggests he should make way for Ronke until he is actually ready.

If it were up to me this week

Lloyd goes to the wing for Clarke

COR or Fox replaces Lloyd of HB

Thurlow comes in for Reg

Ronke comes in for Dawson

* this experiment of with Papley in the middle and tell him and Ronke not to leave the 50

We can’t let Laird , Smith and Atkins run a muck of HB , we need pressure from Ronke and papley

Hewett gets M Crouch

Thurlow comes in for Reg

**** this experiment of with Papley in the middle and tell him and Ronke not to leave the 50

We can’t let Laird , Smith and Atkins run a muck of HB , we need pressure from Ronke and papley

Hewett gets M Crouch

Only thing Hewett should get is 25 touches playing as a pure ball-winner.

Thurlow comes in for Reg

**** this experiment of with Papley in the middle and tell him and Ronke not to leave the 50

Hewett gets M Crouch

Horse is thinking jack in for Dawson

So, if we're moving him down back, who could we replace? You like Lloyd on the wing, but I think he has good smarts, and if McVeigh retires and Mills goes to the middle, then I like Lloyd down there... however for the sake of argument, say Lloyds on the wing and Mills is in the middle, then we've got Reg &/or Melican, Rampe, Aliir, and who else would you play?

I mean more for him to develop in the NEAFL in that role rather than seniors.

I would bring in Thurlow and COR. Thurlow offers a big accurate kick of the footy and both offer more pace that those they replace.

Lloyd on wing would also be an upgrade on Clarke.

Backline would be
Rampe Melican Thurlow
COR Aliir McVeigh

I reckon Melican out for Thurlow would be the only change I would make.

But if Franklin is really having to be managed as much as Horse suggests he should make way for Ronke until he is actually ready.
From listening to him (Horse) on SEN today, I think he believes that the best, and perhaps only, suitable training for Buddy is to play. He said that if he hadn't played on the weekend, then he would have trained alone on Saturday. And while it would have been okay, it cannot provide the intensity of having an opposition. All things considered, they think the best way for most of the seniors was to play limited time, increasing weekly. Or that's what I heard, perhaps not what he actually said. It's in the media thread, have a listen... :) tell where i misunderstood if you like!

I mean more for him to develop in the NEAFL in that role rather than seniors.

I would bring in Thurlow and COR. Thurlow offers a big accurate kick of the footy and both offer more pace that those they replace.

Lloyd on wing would also be an upgrade on Clarke.

Backline would be
Rampe Melican Thurlow
COR Aliir McVeigh

But two things won't happen.

Horse won't move Lloyd out of the back pocket. And Horse won't drop Clarke. I think he really rates Clarke because he's a tough hard nut who will crack in, just like the kind of mids Horse loves. But Clarke didn't do anywhere near enough to impress on debut for us so I really hope I'm wrong with regards to his spot being safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back