Autopsy Round 20, 2021 v Essendon - first win against Bombers at the MCG in 98 years

Remove this Banner Ad

He put Gulden and then McInerney in there. Neither had much impact (as expected - they are not inside mids.)

But he is mistaken about what the problem is. Actually, I think Horse is smart enough to recognise what the problem is. Perhaps because of loyalty, he is in denial about what the problem is.

Neither did jpk.. Thought jmac was pretty good - 6 clearances inc one cc. We have to give people more than a half before writing them off as a mid

Probably been mentioned but jeez the commentary team saying Errol "Golden's" name every time he'd get the ball

Brayshaw was the one and then halfway through the match he changed from Golden to something a bit closer. As much as it was time for Bruce Mc to stop he at least prepared with a lot of research. The current crop just wing it.

I can’t see Florent being a multiple Brownlow winner that some suggested

Solid B at best imo

Did some suggest that? I assume you have the quotes handy as I'd be curious for the context.

Exactly what happened in 2017 one awful game against Geelong and NTTAWWT our comeback from 0-6 meant nothing.

Sport is cruel like that.
Phark me that was a schittehouse finals series. Port vs Eagles by two points the only ripsnorter game.

We annihilated Bombers, only to be annihilated by Geelong, only for them to be annihilated by Adelaide, only for them to be annihilated in the GF by (bloody) Richmond.

Last edited:
Longmire mentioned in his presser that the family (and i presume all the player's families) were still a couple of days off coming out of quarantine.

News today indicates QLD might go for a further 2 week lockdown, so what will that mean for families coming out of quarantine, and now in a different state once more form the playing group?

I fear you may be right, Punts. The clearance issues are doing my head in, but we somehow keep winning.

Can only tick the box for the game in hand and wonder how we're going to fix it for the next - if we can.

We don’t necessarily have to win them, we just need to neutralise them from the next link in possession by stopping that one or at least disrupting it. Which is something I think we do well and remember heading a star on last week against Freo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He put Gulden and then McInerney in there. Neither had much impact (as expected - they are not inside mids.)

But he is mistaken about what the problem is. Actually, I think Horse is smart enough to recognise what the problem is. Perhaps because of loyalty, he is in denial about what the problem is.
Gee Ceasar I hope you rang Horse and told him what he needs to do, lucky for him he has you to advise him.
Longmire mentioned in his presser that the family (and i presume all the player's families) were still a couple of days off coming out of quarantine.

News today indicates QLD might go for a further 2 week lockdown, so what will that mean for families coming out of quarantine, and now in a different state once more form the playing group?
As they are in quarantine in Qld, I think they will be allowed to travel direct to Vic when their time is up and join their partners.
Can't imagine Hickey's wife will be travelling any more, she is apparently a Gold Coast girl so with all the uncertainties surely she'll stay there with family.

Hub life must be harder on their families, yeah the players would miss everyone but at least they can throw themselves into footy and aren’t stuck in their houses I guess

When did anyone say (tongue in cheek comments excluded) that Florent would win multiple Brownlow medals? Seriously, some will pretend anything is true just for a small victory when that player plays a less than amazing game.

Pathetic tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair I thought Punts was going with the joke as well, maybe I read it wrong

I fear you may be right, Punts. The clearance issues are doing my head in, but we somehow keep winning.

Can only tick the box for the game in hand and wonder how we're going to fix it for the next - if we can.
We're still winning because the centre clearances are over rated. In the last few years the game has shown that it's actually the team who waits on the outside is the one with the advantage. From memory the tigers rarely won a clearance battle.

The game has shown that you're better off being pressed and then pick them off streaming the other way transitioning from defence.

Over the last 10 years we were that hard at the contest always first to the ball team. The result was a grind it out, tiring style of play which left us scratching our heads as to why we would get picked off by younger, weaker teams despite us having great talent. That's not our DNA anymore and here we are losing the ball at the cold face yet scoring and winning with ease. It's not a coincidence.

When did anyone say (tongue in cheek comments excluded) that Florent would win multiple Brownlow medals? Seriously, some will pretend anything is true just for a small victory when that player plays a less than amazing game.

Pathetic tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And how would anyone remember it? Sheesh I can't even remember what I posted myself yesterday.

Yesterday's game, particularly the second half, was one of those games that showcase the very best of our game, so skillful and exciting and everything that we all fell in love with.
Yes plenty of comment from the (justly-maligned) commentary team about what a great football spectacle it was from both teams.

We're still winning because the centre clearances are over rated. In the last few years the game has shown that it's actually the team who waits on the outside is the one with the advantage. From memory the tigers rarely won a clearance battle.

The game has shown that you're better off being pressed and then pick them off streaming the other way transitioning from defence.

Over the last 10 years we were that hard at the contest always first to the ball team. The result was a grind it out, tiring style of play which left us scratching our heads as to why we would get picked off by younger, weaker teams despite us having great talent. That's not our DNA anymore and here we are losing the ball at the cold face yet scoring and winning with ease. It's not a coincidence.

I dont think centre clearances are overrated I just think there is more than one way to be successful.

If we win the premiership it will be built off of our backline and forward lines and less our midfield. If the Western Bulldogs (which west are they a part of again?) win the premiership it will be because of their very deep midfield and the 200+ frees they will receive during their finals.

Ultimately the only rule is to be effective and as we have seen from many games this year when we let opposition teams control centre clearances they have been able to score which is obviously not a good thing.

Clearances are important for momentum
Don’t necessarily have to win them or even break even

If you can slow them it makes a difference

When essendon could just waltz out and get it forward within seconds of the bounce it’s massive and puts the defence under the pump

At least delay them and make them slow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back