Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

We headed the form team of the competition through sheer grit and determination and structure.

Carlton pulled a few out of their arse in the third and we found creative ways to muff a few golden opportunities.

But nothing has really changed from the start of the year. We simply lack class at the moment all across the park. And our industriousness is just not enough to get us home against the better sides.

Gresham is really struggling and devoid of confidence. Marshall really needs a hand, and Caminiti in the middle is not the answer. Hill needs to be better in clinch moments, and if he can’t be he needs to stay in a different lane. We’re two classy midfielders short at the moment as well.

Bring Hotton in against the Tigers, let’s give him a taste.
All fair calls.

Don't reckon we play finals in Lyon's time at this rate. The list just isn't anywhere near it at the moment. Hawks and North probably just as much talent pooled. Still think we look like if Owens, Windhager and Pou aren't stars we are in the bottom 4 for a while. We overachieve for what we have but we are a very limited list. Most guys seem to get to around 22 and turn into GOPs or spuds.

nothing has changed my mind since 2021, list needs a rebuild. will be disappointed if Lyon thinks this list will win a flag, pretty certain he knows a rebuild of some magnitude is needed.

We’ve seen what bytel can do mate. He’s not good enough
totally agree but Bytel is the only player who has probably done enough at Sandy this weekend to push someone out of the team and pretty certain there will be a few pushed out this week, maybe fall out with a weak flop probably is a more accurate description.

Interestingly Billings was deemed not good enough to get a game at any level this week, crikey has he fallen off a cliff.

Anyone saying it was luck or ass from them.

They had 23 scoring shots to our 14. 56 inside 50s to 44 and 46 clearances to 22.

They were better for 3 quarters of the game.

Better for half imo, we took most chances in first half and they missed quite a few of theirs, poor kicking is poor footy after all. After half time, straight torched, lost the ground essentially.

Just let Gresh go and if the draft is that compromised aim to bring in Henry and Flanders

Henry would cost us Owens, Windhager and 3 firsts. I dread us going to deal with Bell.

I think it's a bit of both. King is a slack whinger, Gresh and Snags are selfish and dumb, Butler is a flashy B grader who is okay but would be fringe at a good club, Caminiti is a baby still as is Pou.

Our mids have always been a problem. Losing Acres for Hill as a straight swap looks poor but giving up so much capital was very poor list management.

Hawks draft him at pick 33.
Trade him to Freo and get pick 23.

Saints think they are such hotshots for doing a megatrade for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CROUCH AND STEELE 0 DISPOSALS IN THE LAST QTR
And there it is in a nutshell.
How the hell does that happen?
Crouch was a monster in the first half.

Fk. I hate losing to these tossers. :mad:

Better for half imo, we took most chances in first half and they missed quite a few of theirs, poor kicking is poor footy after all. After half time, straight torched, lost the ground essentially.
Fair, 6 scoring shots to 4 in the first quarter. Could argue they were better or it’s a tie.

Either way, they didn’t ass a win, they clearly beat us.

Listening via radio...would love to see footage of the non-holding the ball just before half time. And the overturn by goal review. From commentators should have been 33 point lead at half time
Either way, we still s**t the bed.

Midfield Mitchito looks exciting for the future. Slowdown as the game went on by 9 touches and 4 contested in the first Q in his first real run as a mid to start a game.

His contest work is insane for a young player, when the ball is in dispute near him he grabs it cleanly and breaks tackles with easy. Then he went and took that decent pack constested mark at half forward.

I know the comparisons have been made but he has real Fyfe type qualities.

Pou is still a baby but has been compared to Bont.

Windy seems to be a slower burn of the lot of them so far, but I think he could be an LDU like player for us, when he moves to the middle permanently he'll be able to break the lines and stream away from packs.

About as dreadful a quarter I’ve seen in some time that last one today. Listless and just exhausted???

Some of our entries that we didn’t turn into scores were comical. Gresham not getting to Max over the back. Higgins missing Gresham with a two metre handball running into goal. We shoot ourselves in the foot in ways you couldn’t imagine sometimes.

Season is shot but you watch us beat Richmond next week and let the flame flicker for yet another couple of weeks. A unique form of torture.

Listening via radio...would love to see footage of the non-holding the ball just before half time. And the overturn by goal review. From commentators should have been 33 point lead at half time
I think the issue with the touched was that the soft call was touched. I don’t think the evidence was there to overturn it although I think it was probably the correct call.

Others disagreed but the non holding the ball was correct. The ball didn’t leave his possesion hand and he got a fist to it.

They got the rub of the green overall but.

The guys drank their own bathwater after a great first half- stopped chasing in the second half, and let Carlton run free off the half back line. Lyon didn't try and shut down the Carlton corridor game for some reason and let them run in numbers. King's has an attitude problem- cracks it when things go against him.

We lacked dare in the last. Went conservative and slow while they really tightened up on us. The worst combination.

I had forgotten about that overturned goal review. Marshal's fingers went from not touching the ball, to fully bent backwards with the poor frame rate, surely if it was at a higher quality it would have shown he touched it before the ball crossed the line.
I understand it will never be perfect, but how is that good enough to overturn the umpires decision?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back