Round 23 Boycott, if they wont listen, make them listen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting reading some of the comments here.
To me, these are the best ways to send a message...

- Placards, be they directed at hinkley, koch, thomas, all would send a public message. TV might not show it, but the papers will, the radio will and social media will do the rest.
- NTUA. silence would be deafening.
- boos for the prez. He's an egotist with a carefully curated profile, no better way to send him the message direct than by vocals. Fox don't care if He gets torn a new one...

Unfortunately I prob wont be at the game because of... more important issues going on.. but if I was arms would be crossed.. and prob turn my back when ntua came on.

One thing I would love would be a silent protest from the cheer squad. IE no celebrating after goals, no flag waving, no putting the opposition off when lining up for goal, no chants. just silence. Unfortunately I think a fair few in the area are in the "Support the club and Ken through thick and thin or go join the mob down the road" mentality.

I for one wont be participating in NTUA, and ill be staying in my seat. I encourage others to not to join in either.
We didn't stand for NTUA against Sydney. Would like to claim a commitment to the cause but I do have to disclose that it was simply too bloody cold to stand up once we'd got all our blankets etc sorted ;).

Have you actually attended a game at AO this year? All bar 2 games have been affected by weather. I have slipped on the plastic pants on over my jeans 4 times this year. I have only had to do that 1 other game since we moved to AO. I have worn an RAA freebie hand out poncho for several games and taken my rain jacket to most games.

After the hottest summer on record, this has been the coldest and wettest lot of home games in a season, since I returned to Adelaide 9 seasons ago.
Enjoy it while you can REH - another 20 years and you will be slipping on the plastic pants underneath the jeans

You do come off like a deranged moron more often than not. Your obsession with our crowds is borderline psychopathic. Up until this year our home crowd averages were all north of 38,000. To put this in context, in Soccer mad Italy, in it's capital, Rome, a city the size of Melbourne, it's 2 Serie A world famous Giants Roma and Lazio average crowds of 38,000 and 34,000 respectively. Our crowds are fine. The fact that so many rock up to watch our terribly coached football team is a solid reflection of Port supporters appetite to show up, in a market where our cross city rivals outnumber us 2 to 1. STFU about our crowds. You are sounding like Rucci, blaming the crowd for Ports pitiful performance. People are fed up, just like you are with your incessant negativity.

Exactly right 👍 our crowds in fact compare pretty well even against Juventus, AC and inter Milan given the size of san siro stadium. I know my club Torino fc would kill for ports crowds tbh.

By the way what is the obsession with crowd numbers in the AFL? Is it like this in nrl or is it an Australian thing because you never see this in Europe or even on soccer commentary there

Has there ever been a sporting club whos made a decision on a few thousand boycotting supporters? Anywhere in the world?

Yes, happens in Europe often especially when it comes to the transfer market. I.e the inter ultras almost drove their captain Mauro Icardi out of the club

Not sure elsewhere in Europe but try telling Italian ultras that they can’t make their voice heard when it involves their club😉

Kochie today said that
Port Adelaide does not walk away and abandon the relationship, that is not what a Port Adelaide traditionally does.
( I guess that is what he is hoping)
Abandon the relationship with whom exactly?
Ken?

Koch needs Russell Ebert to give him a refresher course on Port Adelaide’s ruthless but successful history.

Exactly right 👍 our crowds in fact compare pretty well even against Juventus, AC and inter Milan given the size of san siro stadium. I know my club Torino fc would kill for ports crowds tbh.

By the way what is the obsession with crowd numbers in the AFL? Is it like this in nrl or is it an Australian thing because you never see this in Europe or even on soccer commentary there

You don't hear the crowd numbers in any sport in the world. The commentators never mention it. In Aussie Rules it's mentioned 17 times a game. It's odd.

I see numerous people in my day to day (work) life who would normally be classified by people on here as “happy clappers to varying degrees. They’re done, all of them. They emphatically want Hinkley gone. Even the ones who used to be all “but he seems so nice...” have completely changed their tune.

This has become so widespread to the point where the club will ignore it at its peril. It’s spread so far beyond the Big Footy “fringe element” now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see numerous people in my day to day (work) life who would normally be classified by people on here as “happy clappers to varying degrees. They’re done, all of them. They emphatically want Hinkley gone. Even the ones who used to be all “but he seems so nice...” have completely changed their tune.

This has become so widespread to the point where the club will ignore it at its peril. It’s spread so far beyond the Big Footy “fringe element” now.
Absolutely right. I know many of these people also.

i cant see how watching Ken smiling after a pointless win over Freo with the look of justification on his face would be appealing for anyone to see

Its a Melbourne thing - we're the greatest sporting capital in the world, despite no metric to prove it, so the AFL adopted it, and all the AFL executives bonuses KPI's are around crowds and TV ratings, so that's all they talk about when they get criticized, is oh but the crowds are up.

The stupid Melbourne media lock it, Bruce says some s**t like 33,000 is a "pretty good crowd" for North v Hawks under the roof a couple of Friday nights ago, yet if Port get under 40,000 its a poor crowd.

And stupid idiots believe bigger crowd = more profit for the club. It doesn't necessarily mean that as it depends on the stadium deal. Melbourne clubs didn't sell in big numbers, 11 game memberships before 2000, so a big crowd at the MCG meant big gate takings. But that's old hat.

The 6 established non Vic clubs, and the bigger Vic clubs selling 60,000 memberships don't get big gate takings like they used to as they now sell memberships instead of people just rocking up and paying at the gate.

The new Perth Stadium sees the 2 WA clubs have big game day receipts but that's because unlike Subiaco they cant sell out the new stadium to members, as the WA government said they have to leave 10,000 seats less 1,385 stadium members, (which there weren't any at Subiaco) for the public to be able to buy so that's why their game day receipts figures look high.

it imperritive that we do boycott this game, you have to make it very clear and transparent this is how you feel, the board must not be given any reason to think this is something that can be ignored

They should be leaving the game with a bitterness against Hinkley and a will & desire to sack him

X2.

I'm obviously a big poster on here, but all the rest of the family and friends I know don't live and breathe Port like I do, yet they are all of a similar mindset. This club is buggered on field and change is required at the top.

The atmosphere has disappeared in the outer, the disenchantment is seriously audible. We almost jeer our own players more than we cheer. This isn't just because we're s**t fans, but an accumulation of years of failure and disappointment, recurring themes, and little hope.

The NRL dare not do it as it would only highlight how horrendous their crowd numbers are.

In the AFL it is some kind of dick measuring contest.

Changed my plans. I'll be there. Booked into the Meridian on Melbourne Street. No boycott from me. I'm so **&ng passionate about my team why would I? I'm not a sheep. I'm not happy with how our team is. But I'm not helping by turning my back. I'll never turn my back on Port Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back