Preview Round 24: BigFooty Preview – Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree about Cockatoo. His form in the VFL has been pretty good and a big bodied midfielder who can run both ways would be perfect for tomorrow's game.

The fact he's even fit enough to play midfield time is a testament to how hard he's worked this pre-season and season in general. Shame he didn't get an opportunity.

By all accounts I’ve heard the 39000 at Marvel is the fault of an incredibly shitty ticketing system (same for the 78000 for Pies vs Cats). Something about reserved seating being sold out giving the impression there’s essentially no GA and what not.

Plus I’m the end members won’t always show up for every game despite having a reserved seat. We’ve seen it with the Gabba with the Crows sellout where only 30k showed up despite being sold out because it wasn’t a must watch game like Easter Thursday.

Do reserved seat holders actually need to ‘claim’ their seat (like us down here need to claim our mobile ticket), or are they automatically presumed attending (as such counted towards ticket sales, regardless if they attend or not?).

Lyons may get 30 disposals and be BOG. He has done it MANY times before but out he goes for Dev who has done what/ when?
I have said it a few times now but I love Dev in the side because he gives balance to our side, he is fantastic defensively.. gut runs both ways, a great role player.

We have Lyons weapons covered with Neale, Dunkley and pinch hitting from a few others.

I have said it a few times now but I love Dev in the side because he gives balance to our side, he is fantastic defensively.. gut runs both ways, a great role player.

We have Lyons weapons covered with Neale, Dunkley and pinch hitting from a few others.
I am not convinced of having Jarryd Lyons in for full games of finals intensity footy, but I do think that he would be a perfect sub to come on late in a close final where we need to win the contested ball to be able to win the game.
Especially late in finals games it’s all about the contest and he could be our trump card with his experience and contest winning ability.
We get Fletcher to run as hard as he can for 3/4 of footy before Lyons comes on and helps us win the game in the middle.

Do reserved seat holders actually need to ‘claim’ their seat (like us down here need to claim our mobile ticket), or are they automatically presumed attending (as such counted towards ticket sales, regardless if they attend or not?).

Up in Brisbane we are presumed attending and are counted towards sales. There’s programs that allow you to return your ticket if you aren’t attending but I assume it’s not always used.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Up in Brisbane we are presumed attending and are counted towards sales. There’s programs that allow you to return your ticket if you aren’t attending but I assume it’s not always used.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They probably need to offer something more substantial as an incentive.

Lions will score over 100 points and win by 37 pts. This will secure a top 2 position and stuff up the stats loving media's narratives.

This game will also continue the Saints poor form interstate in Queensland this year. To be fair, the Lions last game on the GC was also average.

Let’s see how he goes now that he is playing without osteitis pubis. His selection indicates that Fagan has realised we need another strong body in the midfield. Too often, when Bailey of McCluggage are in the middle, they are not strong enough to contain players like Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Crisp, De Goey. Bailey in particular does not have a well developed defensive midfield game and too frequently you see opposition midfielders brush him off and move the ball out of the middle with relative ease.I think Lyons will get plenty of midfield minutes, but it is his capacity to impact forward half stoppages and kick goals himself that really sets us up. You can be guaranteed that Lyons has a tightly defined role. And it will free up Neale and Dunkley to be much more attacking out of the middle. Finally, if Neale is coping a ‘heavy tag’ Lyons gives us another option. Lyons gets first hands on the ball and makes sure it ends up in the right teammates hands. His lightening quick hands are a real weapon. You can see it below.

Here's hoping it works out as another experienced big body would beef up our mid field as you say.

Lions will score over 100 points and win by 37 pts. This will secure a top 2 position and stuff up the stats loving media's narratives.

This game will also continue the Saints poor form interstate in Queensland this year. To be fair, the Lions last game on the GC was also average.

My very good Saintsfooty mate reckons this is a legit 50/50 game, and the 4.8 on offer early was plenty overs for them. Says Saintsfooty are hitting form at the right time (noting they’ve knocked off 11th, 12th, 16th and 18th in the past 5 weeks).

I think Sharp is a big chance to be sub tomorrow.
Not because he signed a new deal though.
I am a little concerned about Fletchers recent form.
Fletcher looks like he will be a fine player for the Lions in the future.

Tomorrow he will have has played 11 games and sometimes 11 games in your 1st year is about all a young body can handle.
His last 4 games have been average really.
9 disposals v Suns then 8 disposals v Dockers. He was subbed off in both games.
In my opinion the club gave him a bit of a break by naming him sub the following week v Crows.
When activated he had 6 disposals in 40% game time.
His next game v Pies just the 9 disposals. Not subbed off as we had two injuries that day.

Now posters will say disposals are not that important if the player is given a role.
Fletcher would be playing the same role as when he got his first game in round 14 v Swans.
His disposals and (marks) for the other 6 games
Swans 13 (4), Saints 12 (4), Tigers 18 (7), Eagles 10 (3), Demons 14 (4), Cats 19 (8).

I agree with others i am a bit iffy on starting Lyons. Saints are an outside running team these days.

The caveats are - their midfield includes Crouch and Steele. Hardly fast runners. So i don't think our midfield will have a massive issue versus their's.

We will need to make sure we A don't lose clearances and B spready well when we don't have it. The midfield matters here but for the saints it will be more about making sure our small forwards are being accountable.

I wonder if part of the thinking was making sure Lyons keeps some fitness? Didn't play a lot last week and didn't play 2s. He would be a very important player if Neale in particular went down.

I was at one end this week and kids were there so i wasn't great at observing tactics - but he seemed to play half forward when not on ball? Anyone seen a heatmap for Lyons or noticed where he seemed to be?

King out is big but Hayes played well in the 2s and is a handy player. I am wary that every time we seem to be in a good position we slip on banana peel. Would love a really hot start and get the crowd in to it! Just please not the crows game again.

I think Sharp is a big chance to be sub tomorrow.
Not because he signed a new deal though.
I am a little concerned about Fletchers recent form.
Fletcher looks like he will be a fine player for the Lions in the future.
When I watched the replay, I paid close attention to Jaspa (I usually pick one or two players each match and look out for them. While he probably wasn't as dynamic offensively as earlier in the season, his defensive positioning looked excellent to me. A reminder it's not always about how much you get the pill - what you do when the opposition has it is equally as important, but harder for us mugs to quantify.

When I watched the replay, I paid close attention to Jaspa (I usually pick one or two players each match and look out for them. While he probably wasn't as dynamic offensively as earlier in the season, his defensive positioning looked excellent to me. A reminder it's not always about how much you get the pill - what you do when the opposition has it is equally as important, but harder for us mugs to quantify.

Especially wing where you can sometimes run all day with not a lot to show for it.

Think pre finals bye will be very good for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, I felt as though both Berry and Fletcher pretty much had defensive roles on Sidebottom and Daicos and played their roles well.

Especially wing where you can sometimes run all day with not a lot to show for it.

Think pre finals bye will be very good for him.
Both your points have merit.
However, the coaches/Fagan took him off two games in a row.
Usually, you take off your worst performing player if no one is injured.
I think it would have been 3 if Ah Chee (wing/fwd) in particular and Linc were not injured.
They have named Fletcher again for the last H&A game which did surprise me a little.

I am not so much worried about his selection v Saints, but playing in a finals campaign is another level altogether.
Hopefully he proves me wrong in tomorrow's game.

I agree with others i am a bit iffy on starting Lyons. Saints are an outside running team these days.

The caveats are - their midfield includes Crouch and Steele. Hardly fast runners. So i don't think our midfield will have a massive issue versus their's.

We will need to make sure we A don't lose clearances and B spready well when we don't have it. The midfield matters here but for the saints it will be more about making sure our small forwards are being accountable.

I wonder if part of the thinking was making sure Lyons keeps some fitness? Didn't play a lot last week and didn't play 2s. He would be a very important player if Neale in particular went down.

I was at one end this week and kids were there so i wasn't great at observing tactics - but he seemed to play half forward when not on ball? Anyone seen a heatmap for Lyons or noticed where he seemed to be?

King out is big but Hayes played well in the 2s and is a handy player. I am wary that every time we seem to be in a good position we slip on banana peel. Would love a really hot start and get the crowd in to it! Just please not the crows game again.
Yep. Good comments about Lyons. With him starting we are basically putting all our eggs in the winning clearances basket.

VFL team not playing this week so definitely think it could partly be to do with maintaining fitness. I don't exactly stick around for hours after the final siren, but regardless we don't ever seem to put our sub through their paces post match like a lot of other clubs do. The fact that Gabba generally has kick-to-kick after the game may have something to do with this.

Also agree that it looked like he spent a fair bit of time forward. Attended 7 centre bounces out of the 20 there were in the 2nd half.

I also rate Hayes. Tough player.

Their mids and small forwards cover so much ground.

I haven’t read much of this thread, or any analysis for this game, but is there a harder running two way team in the comp right now, than St Kilda?

Their mids and small forwards cover so much ground.

Gws prob equal. But agree

Gws prob equal. But agree
I love GWS but a lot of their mids go forward and don't rush back still. They're lucky Taylor and Buckley are smashing all comers.

I love GWS but a lot of their mids go forward and don't rush back still. They're lucky Taylor and Buckley are smashing all comers.

Listen my sample size is then beating a team by 130 ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back