Preview Round 24: BigFooty Preview – Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to start getting the Melbourne footy fan to come to our games to become secure financially .

I was bloody disappointed when the Pies match got 39 00 through the gate.

Sheeds and Leigh used to sell our games so well.

I wanted the pies match to be at the MCG with 80 00 there.

By all accounts I’ve heard the 39000 at Marvel is the fault of an incredibly shitty ticketing system (same for the 78000 for Pies vs Cats). Something about reserved seating being sold out giving the impression there’s essentially no GA and what not.

Plus I’m the end members won’t always show up for every game despite having a reserved seat. We’ve seen it with the Gabba with the Crows sellout where only 30k showed up despite being sold out because it wasn’t a must watch game like Easter Thursday.

I like Lyons in the side for this game.

Much maligned player.

I think some here have forgotten how consistently good he was over several years since we got him for peanuts from the Suns.

Far too much recency bias because of his injury plagued 2022.

Playing him that often that season was an indictment of the selection process rather than the player

Just had a flick through Saints formline and it’s a bit hard to gage.

Fell in againts roos. Lost to Blues. Beat Tigers and Cats who are both completely cooked, may as well be viewed as bottom 4 teams when assessing.

Decent team who I expect will take it up to us, but their form is being well over-rated.

I’m no great fan of playing him now but St Kilda’s midfield doesn’t really have explosive types so I guess it’s a decent matchup for Lyons.
I think this is a mistake. St Kilda have really been getting teams on the outside of late with their run. With Lyons coming in we're really putting all our eggs in one basket: win clearances or struggle on the spread.

It also means we're playing blokes out of position. It'll push Dev to a wing or into Linc's pressure forward role, where he'll chase and tackle but is not as good overhead. It'll push Hugh to a wing, particularly if Ah Chee is not quite 100%, when he's actually been pretty good in the guts in recent weeks.

Surely Kai or Harry is the sub. I have a feeling we will need that injection of pace, and we might find we need it earlier than we're hoping.

We've gone from having one too many small forwards vs Gold Coast and Freo to now having one too many midfielders. I mean the latter is preferable but I worry about our very vanilla starting combo of Neale, Dunkley and Lyons.

I think this is a mistake. St Kilda have really been getting teams on the outside of late with their run. With Lyons coming in we're really putting all our eggs in one basket: win clearances or struggle on the spread.

It also means we're playing blokes out of position. It'll push Dev to a wing or into Linc's pressure forward role, where he'll chase and tackle but is not as good overhead. It'll push Hugh to a wing, particularly if Ah Chee is not quite 100%, when he's actually been pretty good in the guts in recent weeks.

Surely Kai or Harry is the sub. I have a feeling we will need that injection of pace, and we might find we need it earlier than we're hoping.

We've gone from having one too many small forwards vs Gold Coast and Freo to now having one too many midfielders. I mean the latter is preferable but I worry about our very vanilla starting combo of Neale, Dunkley and Lyons.
Might be wrong, but I very much doubt they will all be in there together too often.

I suspect this is a one off to manage the game time of Neale and Dunks. Lyons will not be a make or break in terms of winning or losing and should absolutely be able to protect our star mids heading into finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got nothing against playing Lyons in this particular game. He can soak up some punishment and still probably get the ball a few times which takes the physical pressure off our guns . In a game we should be winning. They're resting King ,obviously they'd love to win it but will they be flat out ?

Don't think it'll backfire this week but if they happen to get themselves in it then we swing the changes.

Really surprised that Cal has got up ,that was a heavy tumble from a big height and watching him try to run in the 3rd quarter I thought he might be done for some weeks.

Thankfully he must be ok. Fages said he 'only' had spasms . Very fortunate.
If they thought it was broken ribs which was my original worry they wouldn’t have bought him back on and risked puncturing a lung.

Lyons may get 30 disposals and be BOG. He has done it MANY times before but out he goes for Dev who has done what/ when?
Runs defensively and runs ******* fast. How many disposals do you think Lyons would get if asked to play Devs role?
I don’t mind Lyons being on for this game. But I’m picking Dev over him if it’s a choice between the two. Just like we did when it came down to the crunch last year.

I really like the balance of this team. It’s extremely versatile and brings pressure everywhere. I actually think Lyons in makes a lot of sense, it keeps our opposition guessing as we have multiple games plans available with this line up and Neale and Dunks have needed help recently with Ashcroft out.

I'd rather Linc and Fletch in with Lyons as sub

Vs the quicker sides Lyons will likely be badly exposed playing a full game. He's 31 now & not the player he was 2019 - 2021
Let’s see how he goes now that he is playing without osteitis pubis. His selection indicates that Fagan has realised we need another strong body in the midfield. Too often, when Bailey of McCluggage are in the middle, they are not strong enough to contain players like Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Crisp, De Goey. Bailey in particular does not have a well developed defensive midfield game and too frequently you see opposition midfielders brush him off and move the ball out of the middle with relative ease.I think Lyons will get plenty of midfield minutes, but it is his capacity to impact forward half stoppages and kick goals himself that really sets us up. You can be guaranteed that Lyons has a tightly defined role. And it will free up Neale and Dunkley to be much more attacking out of the middle. Finally, if Neale is coping a ‘heavy tag’ Lyons gives us another option. Lyons gets first hands on the ball and makes sure it ends up in the right teammates hands. His lightening quick hands are a real weapon. You can see it below.

Last edited:
Let’s see how he goes now that he is playing without osteitis pubis. His selection indicates that Fagan has realised we need another strong body in the midfield. Too often, when Bailey of McCluggage are in the middle, they are not strong enough to contain players like Viney, Petracca, Oliver, Crisp, De Goey. Bailey in particular does not have a well developed defensive midfield game and too frequently you see opposition midfielders brush him off and move the ball out of the middle with relative ease.I think Lyons will get plenty of midfield minutes, but it is his capacity to impact forward half stoppages and kick goals himself that really sets us up. You can be guaranteed that Lyons has a tightly defined role. And it will free up Neale and Dunkley to be much more attacking out of the middle. Finally, if Neale is coping a ‘heavy tag’ Lyons gives us another option. Lyons gets first hands on the ball and makes sure it ends up in the right teammates hands. His lightening quick hands are a real weapon. You can see it below.

Plus Bailey can’t stick a tackle
To save his life at the moment. Gets way too easily brushed aside by full time mids.

We need to start getting the Melbourne footy fan to come to our games to become secure financially .

I was bloody disappointed when the Pies match got 39 00 through the gate.

Sheeds and Leigh used to sell our games so well.

I wanted the pies match to be at the MCG with 80 00 there.
If we play them in the grand final this year, then regardkless of the result , a big rematch next year at the G woulkd be in order.

The problem I have with Lyons is he weakens an area we are already average at (defence from center clearances) and strengthens an area we are already good at (stoppage clearances).

Up forward Lyons is a very similar ball and chain as Gunston. Useless on defensive pressure, a downgrade on aerial ability, a downgrade on transition but an upgrade at stoppages.

Undoubtable he takes midfield minutes as it's his only real position, so McCluggage / Bailey / Dev will lose time there. We are now also playing four wingers (Berry, Fletcher, Dev + Ah Chee), so I assume Zorko goes into a defensive forward role, similar to what he did last week.

I just wish we had backed in our team from last week and replaced McCarthy with a like for like. Would of loved to get a look at Cockatoo again, or even a surprise of Coleman II.

I don't think it will cost us the match, but I don't love it.
Agree about Cockatoo. His form in the VFL has been pretty good and a big bodied midfielder who can run both ways would be perfect for tomorrow's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back