HF: J.Gresham, B.Hill, M.Owens

F: J.Hayes, T.Membrey, J.Higgins

FOLL: R.Marshall, J.Steele - C, B.Crouch

I/C: L.Stocker, D.Butler, M.Phillipou, C.Sharman

EMG: N.Coffield, R.Byrnes, J.Billings, T.Campbell

In: J.Hayes

Out: S.Ross (Injured), M.King (Managed)

Last edited:

Side for the first final is taking shape, Lyons in, now we cross our fingers and hope Gunston makes it back in time as well.
To be honest, when we get to finals footy it becomes more about contested footy so it looks like a team that is beefing up in that area.

I’m no great fan of playing him now but St Kilda’s midfield doesn’t really have explosive types so I guess it’s a decent matchup for Lyons.
If there’s one team where we could probably get away with going a bit slower, with the intention of giving Lachie and Dunks a bit of a break than it’s the Saints. Not a whole lot of speed there either.
That is what has me worried, Lyons plays well and we make the mistake of thinking he would be good to have in the team against the fast running fast transition Port side. He would be blown off the park against Port IMO.

Side for the first final is taking shape, Lyons in, now we cross our fingers and hope Gunston makes it back in time as well.
We looked so much better in the middle and around the stoppages when Lyons came on. He had two goal assists, stuck his tackles, and had the strength to force repeat stoppages if the ball wasn’t played to our advantage. He also didn’t panic and he used the ball well. His experience will be vital in the cauldron of Finals Football.

That is what has me worried, Lyons plays well and we make the mistake of thinking he would be good to have in the team against the fast running fast transition Port side. He would be blown off the park against Port IMO.
Who comes out when Linc is fit then.
Better not be the defensive Dev

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy for Lyons to get a full game with Neale and Dunkley in the side.
This will tell us how the midfield mix can or cannot work with Lyons playing.
Of course, he could just play forward but i doubt it.
I think it can work but let's see how things turn out.

I worked out 35% replacing Neale and Dunkley bench time + 25% his own bench time.
That leaves 40% forward and midfield time. So, 40% on the field at the same time as Neale & Dunkley.
i don't think that slows us down much at all.

We looked so much better in the middle and around the stoppages when Lyons came on. He had two goal assists, stuck his tackles, and had the strength to force repeat stoppages if the ball wasn’t played to our advantage. He also didn’t panic and he used the ball well. His experience will be vital in the cauldron of Finals Football.
Coming in against a fresh hard running Port side in a final is different than coming in later in the game against a depleted unmotivated Pies side in a H&A game IMO.

What has caught us out continually over the last few years is fast transition, gut running, quick play on footy, that is exactly the way the other top 4 sides like to play. I hope history doesn't repeat.

Lyons finished in the top three in the Bf three years in a row, in a team that was a top four team. Apart from Neale no other Lions player will achieve this.

Last year he was playing with OP.

We have NO information on his groin status at the present. We do not know if he has recovered.

So let's play a rookie as a punt rather than Lyons. Its only the last game of the season.

MM go back and look at three seasons of a top four team and see who was an elite on ball player and I suppose you would prefer Dev, a honest battler, who will NEVER get a top 5 in the BF.

We are close and need to play our best players

Who comes out when Linc is fit then.
Better not be the defensive Dev
Absolutely would lose my shite if Dev goes out and Lyons stays in for first final, Dev's defensive gut running and attacking gut running for that matter is so so important to our structure IMO.

Has to be Linc straight back in for Lyons.... surely.

3KZ is Football will be stoked. If Matho was in this would be his best 22
Hey BRAB, I have had to lead Fages along slowly and let him think that these selections have been his ideas.

My campaign, supported by a number of senior supporters, has borne fruit.
Lester, Lyons, Ah Chee and Robertson are the Over 50’s Clique members and all are now in the senior side as we approach out Premiership TILT. Fundamentally what this turn of events demonstrates The Over 50’s Clique is the place to go to for good ole timeless football wisdom.

Last edited:
Really surprised that Cal has got up ,that was a heavy tumble from a big height and watching him try to run in the 3rd quarter I thought he might be done for some weeks.

Thankfully he must be ok. Fages said he 'only' had spasms . Very fortunate.

Lyons finished in the top three in the Bf three years in a row, in a team that was a top four team. Apart from Neale no other Lions player will achieve this.

Last year he was playing with OP.

We have NO information on his groin status at the present. We do not know if he has recovered.

So let's play a rookie as a punt rather than Lyons. Its only the last game of the season.

MM go back and look at three seasons of a top four team and see who was an elite on ball player and I suppose you would prefer Dev, a honest battler, who will NEVER get a top 5 in the BF.

We are close and need to play our best players
Before we got Dunkley... an upgrade.

I think Lyons at his best is a very good player played to his strengths, I just think he is bad for the balance of our side with Neale and Dunkley both fit to play.

Who are you dropping for Lyons for the first final? Dev, Jaspa or Linc doesn't come back in?

Coming in against a fresh hard running Port side in a final is different than coming in later in the game against a depleted unmotivated Pies side in a H&A game IMO.

What has caught us out continually over the last few years is fast transition, gut running, quick play on footy, that is exactly the way the other top 4 sides like to play. I hope history doesn't repeat.
Were you at the Collingwood game? I thought Fagan’s move of playing Lyons at Half Forward, when he wasn’t in the middle was genius. Two goal assists and unlucky not to kick one himself. The ability to have Lyons lurking around at forward half stoppages is going to really help us, as will his high football IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back