Preview Round 24: BigFooty Preview – Brisbane Lions v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we got Dunkley... an upgrade.

I think Lyons at his best is a very good player played to his strengths, I just think he is bad for the balance of our side with Neale and Dunkley both fit to play.

Who are you dropping for Lyons for the first final? Dev, Jaspa or Linc doesn't come back in?
I was totally against Lyons coming in . Probably a bit put off by the hubris of the club playing him last year when he was clearly costing us.

I have to cast my mind back to what he did for us when we recruited him. I still wouldn't play him but have to admire the way he's toughed it out through the 2's and proven his fitness again.

Were you at the Collingwood game? I thought Fagan’s move of playing Lyons at Half Forward, when he wasn’t in the middle was genius. Two goal assists and unlucky not to kick one himself. The ability to have Lyons lurking around at forward half stoppages is going to really help us, as will his high football IQ.

I think he’s going to be the perfect sub for us. Not caught out so easily with pace when coming on fresh on the second half and is able to make an immediate impact compared to the younger blokes who come on a lot and struggle to work themselves into the game.

I was totally against Lyons coming in . Probably a bit put off by the hubris of the club playing him last year when he was clearly costing us.

I have to cast my mind back to what he did for us when we recruited him. I still wouldn't play him but have to admire the way he's toughed it out through the 2's and proven his fitness again.
OH I agree, nothing personal against Jarryd, I just think he is not good for our defensive structure or the overall balance of our side.

I think he’s going to be the perfect sub for us. Not caught out so easily with pace when coming on fresh on the second half and is able to make an immediate impact compared to the younger blokes who come on a lot and struggle to work themselves into the game.
I don't mind Lyons as the sub but you leave yourself open to being exploited on transition if we are unfortunate enough to cop an early injury... say in the first few minutes of a big final.:eek:

Absolutely would lose my shite if Dev goes out and Lyons stays in for first final, Dev's defensive gut running and attacking gut running for that matter is so so important to our structure IMO.

Has to be Linc straight back in for Lyons.... surely.
That may very well be what happens.
I am just glad that Lyons gets a chance to see how he goes alongside 2 elite players in the AFL.

He should be super hungry to keep his spot.

Hopefully we don't have any injuries v Saints.
Playing Lyons this week gives him another AFL game before finals should he be needed.

A bit late coming up this week.
Someone probably had to check it after getting it wrong last week.

Team_Selection_Article_Graphic_Template.png

That may very well be what happens.
I am just glad that Lyons gets a chance to see how he goes alongside 2 elite players in the AFL.

He should be super hungry to keep his spot.

Hopefully we don't have any injuries v Saints.
Playing Lyons this week gives him another AFL game before finals should he be needed.
We can play them both.

With King out their forward line looks pretty average. I don't see them kicking a huge score against our defence.

Conversely, our forward line should overwhelm their defence.

Lions by 35.

A bit late coming up this week.
Someone probably had to check it after getting it wrong last week.

Team_Selection_Article_Graphic_Template.png
This is our strongest side for the year. It is really well balanced, having a great mix of strength and speed. Backline looks rock solid, with the only concern being Payne’s slight loss of form. The midfield is ELITE and the forward line is deadly. Zorko is showing some very impressive form, with his field kicking really opening teams up. Tough call, but come Finals, Fletcher probably comes out for McCarthy, serving as SUB. I think we are just about looking at the Premiership Team there and one which contains all of my “Pets” 🤗
#OldLionsForLyons
#LyonsNoPanic

Last edited:
The problem I have with Lyons is he weakens an area we are already average at (defence from center clearances) and strengthens an area we are already good at (stoppage clearances).

Up forward Lyons is a very similar ball and chain as Gunston. Useless on defensive pressure, a downgrade on aerial ability, a downgrade on transition but an upgrade at stoppages.

Undoubtable he takes midfield minutes as it's his only real position, so McCluggage / Bailey / Dev will lose time there. We are now also playing four wingers (Berry, Fletcher, Dev + Ah Chee), so I assume Zorko goes into a defensive forward role, similar to what he did last week.

I just wish we had backed in our team from last week and replaced McCarthy with a like for like. Would of loved to get a look at Cockatoo again, or even a surprise of Coleman II.

I don't think it will cost us the match, but I don't love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets just see how Lyons goes with a full game. If he returns to his old tortoise self and gives up a couple of goals then out he goes. If he does well then we take it on a game by game basis, depending on the opposition.

7 News in Brisbane just announced another sellout this game making it the fifth this year.
Is it still ok to rock up with a GA membership for a "sell out"?

7 News in Brisbane just announced another sellout this game making it the fifth this year.
We need to start getting the Melbourne footy fan to come to our games to become secure financially .

I was bloody disappointed when the Pies match got 39 00 through the gate.

Sheeds and Leigh used to sell our games so well.

I wanted the pies match to be at the MCG with 80 00 there.

I don't mind Lyons as the sub but you leave yourself open to being exploited on transition if we are unfortunate enough to cop an early injury... say in the first few minutes of a big final.:eek:
Lyons may get 30 disposals and be BOG. He has done it MANY times before but out he goes for Dev who has done what/ when?

Absolutely would lose my shite if Dev goes out and Lyons stays in for first final, Dev's defensive gut running and attacking gut running for that matter is so so important to our structure IMO.

Has to be Linc straight back in for Lyons.... surely.
Linc back in for Fletcher (sub)

We need to start getting the Melbourne footy fan to come to our games to become secure financially .

I was bloody disappointed when the Pies match got 39 00 through the gate.

Sheeds and Leigh used to sell our games so well.

I wanted the pies match to be at the MCG with 80 00 there.
8000 would be pretty disappointing at the G

Just like someone else we know who is now a LOCK in defence.

Anyway, this is a huuuuuge game for our club. Possibly the most riding on an outcome since the Threepeat days.

The difference between a win and a loss might mean finishing as high as first and as low as fourth.

I'll be really disappointed if we come out with anything but a full on attitude towards the game because just a win, any win means a top two finish.

Fire them up Fages. Put the pressure on them. If not for this game, then when?

We don't need any more "learnings"

You could say that for any type of injury to a player. Like if we had Fort as the sub and Neale went down or Lohmann as the sub and Andrews went down. In the end Lyons has been the one sub from outside our 22 right now who’s come on and managed to come into the game and be almost immediately up to speed with the game.

Let's hope people actually turn up for this game.
No clash with Matilda's this time.
So minimum of 34K hopefully.
A lot depends on BCC members and corporates in regard to the final figure.

Just for fun checked ticketmaster.
All singles except for
Section 318. There was 25 seats not singles going for $450 food & beverage included.
Section 328 center wing seats 6 together going for $270. Located behind interchange, see image below.
These seats are 3 rows from the front and slightly more to the left.

1692874615197.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back