Preview Round 3 2018, Brisbane Lions Vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought a staight swap Robbo for Lester might have been the selection for the week.Wrong again.Lester eveyones favourite man really needs to lift those 2 missed shots in the third qtr last week were costly(expected him to get one of them).Because he is slow as treacle these are the things he must do to warrant his spot not just be a good clubman.

I am shocked at McStay's dropping. I do wonder if he will be a late in. I don't agree with the concerns around his positioning. I still believe that playing in our backline is the toughest gig in the AFL due to our skill errors up the field. I hope that McStay is given the opportunity to settle into the centre half back position.

I thought a staight swap Robbo for Lester might have been the selection for the week.Wrong again.Lester eveyones favourite man really needs to lift those 2 missed shots in the third qtr last week were costly(expected him to get one of them).Because he is slow as treacle these are the things he must do to warrant his spot not just be a good clubman.

I know stats are not the be all/end all but just for some balance, but you are aware of his current stats? For me, it suggests that he is currently not just a great clubman. ;)
  • Equal 2nd for marks inside 50
  • Equal 2nd for clearances from stoppages
  • Equal 3rd for tackles made
  • Is 4th for contested possession average.

I know stats are not the be all/end all but just for some balance, but you are aware of his current stats? For me, it suggests that he is currently not just a great clubman. ;)
You forgot 1st for running on the spot

I am shocked at McStay's dropping. I do wonder if he will be a late in. I don't agree with the concerns around his positioning. I still believe that playing in our backline is the toughest gig in the AFL due to our skill errors up the field. I hope that McStay is given the opportunity to settle into the centre half back position.
I can't help but think it was a straight choice between he and Walker with Walker getting in due to relief ruck ability alone.

I do have concerns about his positioning but giving him the opportunity to stay at CHB and not be a swingman would hopefully address that by giving him some consistency. Difficult to get positioning right when you keep changing roles and to be honest I haven't seen enough from him to warrant further trials up forward. CHB has been where he has shown the most IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, Fagan is saying to a lazy footballer, who oozes talent, that if he doesn't pull the finger out, he is not worth a game in last year's wooden spooners.

" Mate, you are not worth a game"!!!!!"

This is man management. If McStay (the modern Bewick) comes back like Walker did last season we are on our way.

Very true and I am pleasantly surprised to see McStay dropped. He was disinterested against Melbourne and played like it. We need the head and attitude switched on with our players and if they aren't then they won't develop and will become an anchor. Good selection decision and a statement I feel sending a message to the group. There would of been a lot of training in the pre-season around McStay as a lynch pin at center half back and to see that reversed and him dropped for attitude and performance speaks volumes after two games. It's what the club needs to get that discipline in and to not feel safe if you aren't contributing and going full steam.
A zippy forward line looks good and should worry port particularly hampering their run off half back if we loose posession. Good coaching.

I think people tend to oversimplify the effect of one player’s selection or non-selection and seem to assume the coach must not have considered the things that they are so vocal about. I would hazard a guess that the coaching staff spent quite a deal more time on selections, matchups and tactics than any of us this week.

Whatever the outcome, no doubt someone here will feel vindicated, when the reality is that there are going to be a large number of factors that determine the outcome of any game. The selection of one player is merely one factor.

It would seem that, as Fagan said today, Robbo had to come straight in and someone had to come out - for reasons that the coaches determined, that someone was McStay. Whatever the result of the game, if one selection was proof that someone can’t coach - well, that is as ridiculous as it sounds!

Anyway, Thursday night meltdowns!!
Well said - deserves more than a "Like"...

There would of been a lot of training in the pre-season around McStay as a lynch pin at center half back and to see that reversed and him dropped for attitude and performance speaks volumes after two games.
If that is the case, why, in our first game did McStay start in the forward line and stay there while our opponents had a 5 goal first quarter? What happened to all that planning and how is that indicative of him being perceived as a ‘lynch pin’ at CHB? I really do think McStay has not been managed well this season. I hope he returns to the Senior Side soon.

Lester actually got his hands dirty last week, 4-5 times he burrowed in and got a nice handball out in the 3rd and 4th. He also was assigned the task of blocking for Zorko which he apparently did very well, I didn't notice at the time. He is not a great player and he is very easy to point out, but he he does the little things well, i would have been shocked to see him dropped this week. His lack of leg speed really hurts him down in an overall sense.

Last edited:
I really don't think Mcstay was bad last week.

I think it is as simple as: we wanted to play a smaller team so one of Walker and McStay would miss out, and given Walker can also ruck he kept his spot.

It’s a shame it’s got to this with McStay. I have seen him play great games as a defender and showed huge potential. When he goes forward, not so much. I hope he plays backline in neafl and earns his spot back through good form

I agree stats arent everything but for a 26yr old 7th yr in the system who should be in his prime he is mediocre regularly.last week 16 touches, 3 tackles two missed shots on goal(not gimmes)gave away two frees.This standard isnot acceptable for a senior player in his prime let alone one that has limitations.
I agree stats arent everything 2nd most marks in the 50 for 0 goals.For a player in his prime 7th year in the system to get 16 disposals give away two frees make 3 tackles and have nearly anyone in the comp run away from him just isnt good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back