Review Round 3, 2020 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how we're all totally lapping up this top of the ladder smashing crap teams out of the park every week thing, acutely aware that what happen power will destroy all of our hopes and dreams sometime very soon and we'll be back to F*** Port and Sack Hinkley.

Travis Boak, man. I hate to always go back to things being framed through criticism of Hinkley but... how much did we miss out on in those years where he was wasting away on the forward flank?

I'm really enjoying watching Todd Marshall play. His attack on the footy and consistent involvement in games this year has improved out of sight.

I like how we're all totally lapping up this top of the ladder smashing crap teams out of the park every week thing, acutely aware that what happen power will destroy all of our hopes and dreams sometime very soon and we'll be back to F*** Port and Sack Hinkley.

Every day is a gift until that time.

MaVKwCz.jpg

So what was the opposing teams unbiased opinion on fremantle.
I kind of wanna know because we're melting down on the freo board and some reality would be nice.

I kind of wanna know because we're melting down on the freo board and some reality would be nice.
Your ball movement is just strange. Win possession, instantly make a short sideways kick. Chip the ball and around until virtually back where you won possession in the first place. Then bit off a super risky kick into the corridor or across goal and often to what is at best a 50:50 contest anyway.

Fyfe and Walters are super stars though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your ball movement is just strange. Win possession, instantly make a short sideways kick. Chip the ball and around until virtually back where you won possession in the first place. Then bit off a super risky kick into the corridor or across goal and often to what is at best a 50:50 contest anyway.

Fyfe and Walters are super stars though.
cheers, I agree freo are not a kicking team we cannot execute properly.

We did enough, fairly professional performance in the wet. We should be very difficult to beat if both Marshall and Dixon are holding marks.

Boak is a jet. Spewing out Duursma, we really can't replace him with a like for like.

Rockliff is just not a damaging player.

No, he's not, but what Rockliff does is stays involved and keeps his teammates involved. I feel like when he's up and about we're far less likely to have a huge flurry of goals against because he is able to win the ball and control the play a bit until we've neutralised a big momentum disadvantage. The question is whether you can play both him and Wines in a slow midfield. Losing Duursma hurts because he's a great runner and not having him will accentuate our slow midfield.

cheers, I agree freo are not a kicking team we cannot execute properly.

And unfortunately a young team that isn't quite gelling is exactly the kind of team we do well against, because our game is to just win clearances and then cut off your rebound attempts all day. Teams that we struggle against have excellent ball movement and win a lot of one on one contests, and that's tough when we're overall a much more experienced, battled hardened side.

Despite that, we really only got away from you in the 2nd quarter. It wasn't a thrashing.

Lycett, Westhoff, Dixon and Marshall might be the best ruck/tall forward set up in the game right now. I’d love to now our score for and against when the opposition’s second ruck is on the ball. They’ve monstered Day, Walker/Fogarty and Taberner.

Not many teams have 2 genuine ruckmen so it’s proving a real point of difference so far this season.

I really think the next 2 weeks is the come down. With such a high attrition rate game, already compromised match practice, lack of personalised facilities combined with injuries add in a bruised team looking for a win then multiply that by a team who looks as good or better than us. Then we be jones’n for home very soon. Tough last 2 games after this.

Good: Ollie had a great return, he was hard, repeated efforts and didn't butcher the ball too many times. The changes to our game plan with ability to slow or speed up, and the disposal looks good when they think about what they are doing.

Bad: baring the 2nd Qtr, we had the return of the wheel around blind 30-50 meter kick, and the bomb it in the forward 50 kick. I was waiting for a 3qtr spray but nothing.

Move onto next week.

Duursma a blow but this kid is a pro. He will rehab like a pro and be back as early as possible.

Boak is machine mode. Wines after sloppy 1st quarter justified his selection. Lycett dominated. Dixon, Westhoff and Marshall provided good targets. Dixon more of those vice grip marks please. Eberts forward pressure and tackling elite. Hartlett and DBJ formidable rebound off half back. McKenzie has been a revelation so far. Butters is class. Really liked Amons 2nd quarter, he is a benchmark for me. Not that he is solely the difference but if he is getting hands on footy with time, we tend to be dominating.

Messy game but 2nd quarter was the difference. We did not panic 2nd half. Although top 4 teams would have converted chances and would have been much different last 5 mins. But you need to win dirty. And we did.

I mean I still say you smashed the draft last year. Young and Serong should both have arguably have been top 5 picks and to get both AND Henry puts you in a very good place for the future.

As for the game, you guys are just wasteful, its infuriating to watch as a fan when it happens to your team. You did all the hard stuff to get the ball in then lacked the composure to finish time and time again. Every time that happens you lose momentum and give a freebie to the opponent.

Freo doesnt deserve to be a 0-3 side though, probably more in the 10th - 14th range I would think.

Good: Ollie had a great return, he was hard, repeated efforts and didn't butcher the ball too many times. The changes to our game plan with ability to slow or speed up, and the disposal looks good when they think about what they are doing.

Bad: baring the 2nd Qtr, we had the return of the wheel around blind 30-50 meter kick, and the bomb it in the forward 50 kick. I was waiting for a 3qtr spray but nothing.

Move onto next week.
Wines certainly got a lot of it, but he burnt the ball terribly
Really wish he could up his efficiency

I understand he is in and under type so won't be going at 90%, but surely he can improve above the 48% from this week. I'd be happy with 65-70%

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back