Autopsy Round 3, 2022: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a shame that we don’t have Coffield or Highmore ready to go atm. Particularly Coffield, because his style of intercept /attacking for a defender would slot very nicely into our team. He was killing it in the preseason too poor guy. A fit Highmore would be next best. Lienert’s been a worthy depth player to replace the both of them.
Highmore is 100% fit. He's just not seen as best 22 at the moment

Yep, other than Battle's performance against Freo we have not had much of an intercept game up and going.
Because a lot of the time we just punch it away rather than trying to intercept

Specifically remember at the start of the game, Howard wasn't under too much pressure but punched it back into a dangerous zone and the tigers scored

Yep, other than Battle's performance against Freo we have not had much of an intercept game up and going. And that is not surprising because as long as Howard and Battle have their hands full with threatening direct opponents (e.g. Lynch and Balta) they are not going to have much chance to peel off. Webster, Paton and Membrey (when he goes there) have some intercept marking ability, but none are likely to do it more than once or twice a game. This is why I'd really like to either see Joyce or Highmore into the side.
At the minute the defence looks like it could be cut open but it isnt. Hanging on grimly in the last line of defence just like the good old days. The 6x6x6 is making it difficult to cut off kicks into a forward line ( from centre bounces) because the kicks are often going over the halfbackline and landing 20-40 m out and resulting in one on one stuff. Just the way Jeff Dunne used to like it. This suits guys like Paton and Sinclair because they are good ground players and made their name off mopping up loose ball.

Opposition fullbacks are already having nightmares thinking about Max, and facial hair has nothing to do with it.

Having said that, there's plenty of swagger about that moe!
Look, someone has to say it so I'll volunteer to be the sacrifice. I think of Max as Borat, St Kilda's cultural ambassador!!!

That is the best game the Saints have played for years. We were behind after giving it a red hot go. For years that has been the green light for an honourable loss. But the boys showed the character, belief, tenacity and connection with each other that we have been craving to see for a very long time. Big call I know, but I see this win as the turning point in our fortunes as a team and a club. We have just proven we can match it with a very good, highly skilled, experienced team and beat them. We can match and beat anyone when we turn it on like this and that should now become or benchmark.

Just on another point, the Messiah should be told to handball only when under pressure but when he is clear to kick it, because his delivery is a thing of beauty!!
That last quarter really came out of nowhere, we were actually composed in the backline even under pressure, winning the midfield battle and able to deliver the ball to our forwards with more precision and not on their heads. If we can play like this more consistently, even 50% of the time, we should be challenging for finals.

Credit when credit is due. Go saints!!!

This also shows how important Paddy Ryder is to the team. We need to line up a Ryder #2, can Heath do it?

At the minute the defence looks like it could be cut open but it isnt. Hanging on grimly in the last line of defence just like the good old days. The 6x6x6 is making it difficult to cut off kicks into a forward line ( from centre bounces) because the kicks are often going over the halfbackline and landing 20-40 m out and resulting in one on one stuff. Just the way Jeff Dunne used to like it. This suits guys like Paton and Sinclair because they are good ground players and made their name off mopping up loose ball.
Unlike Hill, who I have only recently appreciated, is very poor below his knees.

That last quarter really came out of nowhere, we were actually composed in the backline even under pressure, winning the midfield battle and able to deliver the ball to our forwards with more precision and not on their heads. If we can play like this more consistently, even 50% of the time, we should be challenging for finals.

Credit when credit is due. Go saints!!!

This also shows how important Paddy Ryder is to the team. We need to line up a Ryder #2, can Heath do it?
I think whoever it is on our recruiting team has a great eye for ruckmen.

First, got Ryder.

Made a big offer on the unheard of Draper, didn’t get him but made Essendon pay him big money, he then went on to become their starting ruck.

Made offer to north’s contracted and unused xerri.
They wouldn’t trade and now he’s having a breakout as their 1st ruck, dunno if that’s form over Goldstein or an attempt to please him and get his signature...
But surely we are still in his ear (OoC this year if I’m not mistaken)

Otherwise if we make an offer to someone else we have never heard of this year I’m all in.

If you'd like a pinch of salt I suggest you check out the Richmond board.

Yeah I’ve been reading through it too, hilarious stuff. To be fair to them though I agree with them regarding the umpiring. It’s been disgraceful all year and we were the ones getting lucky with it for once. Gresham’s throw, Ross caught HTB, Membrey’s free in the last quarter. Id be furious if it was the opposition getting away with stuff like that.

Blight on the game the umpiring is.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Winning contested possessions over the 3 games too and that is a stat that the top teams like to win.

There is usually a strong correlation to the contested ball count and the AFL ladder. ( a couple of anomalies though ).

Here is the 2022 contested ball ladder so far / contested possessions scored against ( reverse order ) / actual ladder. Games with the most contested possessions.
Melbourne Carlton Lions. 3 (Melbourne )
Pies GWS Melbourne 3
Carlton Cats Carlton 3
StKilda Melbourne Hawthorn 2
Lions Lions Fremantle 2
Suns North Pies 1
Port Crows Cats 0
Crows Tigers Swans 2
Hawks StKilda StKilda 2
Cats Bombers Suns 2
Bulldogs Pies Tigers 1
GWS Swans GWS 2
North Fremantle Bulldogs 1
Fremantle Port Crows 0
Swans West Coast North 0
Tigers Hawks Port 1
West Coast Suns West Coast 1
Bombers Bulldogs Bombers 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I’ve been reading through it too, hilarious stuff. To be fair to them though I agree with them regarding the umpiring. It’s been disgraceful all year and we were the ones getting lucky with it for once. Gresham’s throw, Ross caught HTB, Membrey’s free in the last quarter. Id be furious if it was the opposition getting away with stuff like that.

Blight on the game the umpiring is.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At the same time , Richmond were clearly trying to be "on the edge" physically. Lot of holding as well. That sort of thing can get the umpires looking at you in the wrong way.

Was at the game. Saw a lot of throws on the Richmond side of things as well which weren’t called. Goes both ways, we just had the second half of momentum to capitalise.

There was one horrendous one where the ump was looking directly at the Richmond player who threw it and didn’t call it.

Anyways, that’s umpiring every team gets lucky/unlucky several times throughout the season and can then make up their own conspiracies or patterns they think are working against them.

I think whoever it is on our recruiting team has a great eye for ruckmen.

First, got Ryder.

Made a big offer on the unheard of Draper, didn’t get him but made Essendon pay him big money, he then went on to become their starting ruck.

Made offer to north’s contracted and unused xerri.
They wouldn’t trade and now he’s having a breakout as their 1st ruck, dunno if that’s form over Goldstein or an attempt to please him and get his signature...
But surely we are still in his ear (OoC this year if I’m not mistaken)

Otherwise if we make an offer to someone else we have never heard of this year I’m all in.
Not convinced about Draper- still only 23 though. Couple of games I have seen him he has not done a huge amount. Going well in H/outs though. Dons have big wraps on him and I presume he can only get better.

I was firmly in the Gresham forward bandwagon over preseason but he’s just becoming too good as a midfielder to move him now I think. He’s too good at contested ball and clearance to not have him in the middle and it’s not like we have the luxury of Ablett, Selwood, Bartel etc in the middle to keep him out of there. He’s a midfielder and that shouldn’t change when others come back, he’s a game changer.

Brad Hill at HB works again most teams but Brad Hill in general just doesn’t work against Richmond. Great move to switch him to HF.

I’ve been a fan of the Crouch move since we made it and he’s done nothing to change my mind. He’s a bull and he’ll be critical while our other mids develop. Contested ball is pretty important.

Still not convinced about the land of the giants up forward but it didn’t cost us the game like I thought it was going to. You can probably get away with it on a smaller ground but on the MCG I think we’ll be made to pay if we go with it again. We looked better when we started hitting up leads and not bombing it in and you don’t need to be 200cm to mark a ball on the lead.

Who knows what NWM will be but he has looked good. He may end up being a very nice icing on top piece I just really hope we drafted the cake with the two picks after him.

Yep, other than Battle's performance against Freo we have not had much of an intercept game up and going. And that is not surprising because as long as Howard and Battle have their hands full with threatening direct opponents (e.g. Lynch and Balta) they are not going to have much chance to peel off. Webster, Paton and Membrey (when he goes there) have some intercept marking ability, but none are likely to do it more than once or twice a game. This is why I'd really like to either see Joyce or Highmore into the side.
Yeah I'd like to see them try it with Joyce so he could play as a defensive stopper. Reckon Battle would have a field day back there.

Yeah I'd like to see them try it with Joyce so he could play as a defensive stopper. Reckon Battle would have a field day back there.
There's a growing sentiment in here for this.
With Jimmy and Wilkie around I think Joyce can do a job, letting Batts and Doogs push up the ground. At that point I'd probably double down on it and though he's been pretty good replace Lienert with Highmore and Pato being the 7th defender.
hat starts to look like a very hard group to overcome for the oppo.

To think we still have Jones, Hunter & Billings to add to the mix

The real question is, will they get added to the mix? Who is coming out of the side? Hunter Clark is awesome when he’s on but he isn’t exactly offering electrifying pace, and that seems to be crucial to our game plan. We would have to drop someone like Hayes or maybe Lienert.

The real question is, will they get added to the mix? Who is coming out of the side? Hunter Clark is awesome when he’s on but he isn’t exactly offering electrifying pace, and that seems to be crucial to our game plan. We would have to drop someone like Hayes or maybe Lienert.
Any of Lienert, NWM, Wood, Hayes or Long would be out if Jones, JB or Clark were good to go this week.

100% they will

All may need a game in the VFL for match fitness and it might mean someone is unlucky but they are all best 22 with out a question

Hayes, Lienart, Wood and NWM would probably be the 4 under the most pressure right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back