Preview Round 5, 2023: Giants v Hawks, Norwood oval, 3:20pm Sunday April 16th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staggered reeves survives, we are not serious.

I mean he's doing the #1 most important part of a ruckman's job extremely well. Elite even.

Our midfield is looking the most functional it has in five years, at least in the centre clearances.

If he can work on the other aspects we have a serious player. Getting games into him is going to expedite that.

Failed to post this the other day, but it's still sitting here so i will belatedly post now:

The VFL write-up suggests that Bramble still has things to work on, so I don't think he's going to come in.
I'll be disappointed if Max Lynch doesn't come in and surely at least one other change is needed, so given the positive reviews on Seamus, either he or Long (or both) to come in would be good. I wanna see Butler as well, but the VFL review read like they wanna see him continue to find the ball at vfl level before bringing him up.

Edit:
I find the Reeves vs Meek debate interesting - the stats in favour of Reeves are undeniable and both the Coach & Captain have referenced our midfield performance recently, suggesting those stats aren't going unnoticed within the 4 walls. For me though, when i watch us play I hardly even notice Reeves. I do notice Meek though, so the stats delta is surprising.
I hope Lynch has another big game and forces the match committee's hand cos i think he deserves a shot.

Failed to post this the other day, but it's still sitting here so i will belatedly post now:

The VFL write-up suggests that Bramble still has things to work on, so I don't think he's going to come in.
I'll be disappointed if Max Lynch doesn't come in and surely at least one other change is needed, so given the positive reviews on Seamus, either he or Long (or both) to come in would be good. I wanna see Butler as well, but the VFL review read like they wanna see him continue to find the ball at vfl level before bringing him up.

Edit:
I find the Reeves vs Meek debate interesting - the stats in favour of Reeves are undeniable and both the Coach & Captain have referenced our midfield performance recently, suggesting those stats aren't going unnoticed within the 4 walls. For me though, when i watch us play I hardly even notice Reeves. I do notice Meek though, so the stats delta is surprising.
I hope Lynch has another big game and forces the match committee's hand cos i think he deserves a shot.
That’s what I thought last week as well. Meek didn’t have a great game by any stretch of the imagination but at least he had an impact of sorts around the ground (especially in the first half). He had a couple of clearances and even went for a bit of a breakaway run (not very far though 😉).

Reeves on the other hand, unless it was a centre square throw up, he had zero impact around the ground. Even in the marking contests that he would get to I was amazed how little physical impact he would have for someone standing 210cm.

Reality is that even if you combined the current output of both Meeks and Reeves together you would still be struggling to match the output of a decent AFL ruck.

Lynch has another good game in the twos this weekend and Reeves and Meek don’t improve I reckon one of them will be for the chop next game.

Like DGB’s inclusion from a structural perspective. It allows Siss not to play the lock down role and for him to play to his strengths but I hope we will see him up forward ……. with Greene and a resting ruck and Moore/Bruest/Brocky/Chad at the feet could add moore score board pressure as we are struggling to kick a score at the moment

Last edited:
Losing Day is certainly gonna hurt, but I do like the inclusions for this week. Very excited for Seamus, hopefully he goes well and shows what he has worked so hard for

The ruck situation is an interesting one for sure. If they are going with Reeves and Meek as plan A, and want to stick with it for as long as realistically possible, then you can see why a change hasn't been made there as of yet. However, in the modern game, ruckmen not only need to do their job in the ruck contests, but also must be a vital cog around the ground. We've struggled with the long down-the-line outlet kick with no Lewis and our rucks not doing enough in the marking contests, their apparent lack of mobility seems to be a hindrance. Now not saying Lynch will solve this, but if he produces another dominant game at VFL level then either Reeves or Meek will be on notice, if not already

We've showed small sample sizes this season that we are very capable of playing some really good footy, putting into place the way we want to take the game on (first quarter last week was super stuff). Our midfield has looked vastly improved and competitive too which has been terrific to see
Finding avenues to score has been a bit of an issue that is yet to be sorted (boy do we miss Lewis!)

Looking forward, hopefully, to another step in the right direction of development on Sunday at a neutral venue against a team that is vulnerable if you turn it up physically against them

Having not seen much of S Mitchell jr., what will be his role?

Humiliating a coyote who has all sorts of tools at his disposal for the sole purpose of his destruction by using his elite speed.

meep meep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Line-ups

Hardwick - Frost - DGB
Greene - Hogan - Cadman

Impey - Sicily - CJ
C. Ward - H.H. - Kennedy

Reeves - Newcombe - J. Ward
Flynn - Green - Jelly

Amon - Worpel - Morrison
Lloyd - Coniglio - Callaghan

Moore - Greene - Wingard
Ash - Haynes - Cumming

Breust - Meek - Brockman
Idun - Taylor - Buckley

Bench: Nash - Mitchell - Long - MacDonald
Bench: Hamilton - Whitfield - XO'H - Peatling

We get it inside 50 the least in the comp so that should limit their influence

Fair point. I now see part two of Mitchell's master plan:

Part I - concede so many easy consecutive goals it allows our midfield to practice CBA's.

Part II - don't get F50 entries to our small forward line, so opposing intercept players don't dominate us.

Awesome to see DGB and Seamus playing together. From what I know they’re very good mates, having been drafted together.

Disappointing to see Scrim out for the same reason as it feels like he and CJ really bounce off each other.

Given the plethora of small/medium defenders on the list. I don’t know how Seamus Mitchell fits into the future plans. Maybe a midfield role down the track? Hopefully he can make the most of this opportunity and pull off what Dylan Moore did towards the end of 2020.

Given the plethora of small/medium defenders on the list. I don’t know how Seamus Mitchell fits into the future plans. Maybe a midfield role down the track? Hopefully he can make the most of this opportunity and pull off what Dylan Moore did towards the end of 2020.
We’re well stocked for half backs with electric pace. CJ, Seamus and Bmac.

Where they are all playing in 12 months will be interesting.

Who are our small defenders? Impey, Bramble Hardwick and ? That's the spot he's competing for, we're building huge a serious line of rebounding defenders with speed and kicking skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back