Preview Round 7: Bloods vs Hawthorn 4pm Sunday @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How he fits?

He can't kick for s**t and we have developed into a precision team and second half of last year he looked 45, so fitness mostly

If he is fit and can win contested possies still then yep walks in.

But in the final he had to go hide forward (where he lifted )

and of course No one should waltz in after missing a few months of footy

Finally big question - who is he replacing ? easy to say he walks up , which spot he taking?

I've seen people say campbell, so ok Parker is sub , cool
I think the bolded is my biggest concern about where Parker fits, and why I kind of want to keep him in a specific role and not have him be so much up the field.

He's kind of always had a bang-the-ball-forward mentality because he's just such a naturally aggressive and competitive bloke. We need him to bring that aggression and competitiveness towards the opposition players, but then show some smarts and composure when he has the ball. If he doesn't then he'll stick out like a sore thumb in our game plan.

For all the flaws we might've had on display at times this year, hospital handpasses and rushed dump kicks that go about 2km in the air but all of 20 metres in territory haven't been among them.

I'd rather see him be less involved but equally as damaging, that's why I want him playing forward in a simple marking/crumbing/goal-kicking sort of role in Hayward's place. Show his great talents but not have as much chance to stuff with our game plan.

I think the bolded is my biggest concern about where Parker fits, and why I kind of want to keep him in a specific role and not have him be so much up the field.

He's kind of always had a bang-the-ball-forward mentality because he's just such a naturally aggressive and competitive bloke. We need him to bring that aggression and competitiveness towards the opposition players, but then show some smarts and composure when he has the ball. If he doesn't then he'll stick out like a sore thumb in our game plan.

For all the flaws we might've had on display at times this year, hospital handpasses and rushed dump kicks that go about 2km in the air but all of 20 metres in territory haven't been among them.

I'd rather see him be less involved but equally as damaging, that's why I want him playing forward in a simple marking/crumbing/goal-kicking sort of role in Hayward's place. Show his great talents but not have as much chance to stuff with our game plan.

Probably needs limited minutes in the 2s this week. If he gets through ok, then a return v the Giants. He and Taylor then effectively share a position fwd and mid. There is no reason for Luke to do more than the occasional cba. His kicking in general play is fine.

He obviously replaces Hayward.

Agree , love him , but it's going well

Currently travelling through Japan, what is the best site to watch the game. Regardless of anything, any win against Hawthorn gets celebrated.

I'm in Japan also! If you happen to be on a cruise ship, it's on sport24.
I’m in Kyoto and will be in Hiroshima on game day…hopefully the air bnb has sport 24 going, hanks for the tip.

I’m in Kyoto and will be in Hiroshima on game day…hopefully the air bnb has sport 24 going, hanks for the tip.
Funny thing, I can watch the VFL streams no problem at all on the AFL website…

Mobility is the BIG question mark on Parker v Hayward. Can he shutdown and apply the pressure? Can he get out the back and take those offensive marks? In close he is ace. In open field he is a dinky. He marks as well as Hayward. He does not spread, apply pressure over distance like Hayward. Sometimes there is a lot of space forward. Sometimes Hayward goes back to the defensive 50 and then runs forward to the offensive 50. Parker cannot do that. He cannot be the marking linking target on the wing. It depends what you want. Do you want the Hayward package. Do you want the Parker package if it is in fact Parker for Hayward.

You lose something with Hayward out and you probably gain experience with Parker in. If Parker does come in it stresses other areas of the team and field but probably strengthens the area around goal. Maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's also carried the load and been a warrior , needs a lighter load as he get older and can't put a price on his leadership.

I can't see him taking Haywards spot, they like haywards defensive work and he is a good 10cm taller as a target. Mind you Parker is a good grab.

I'd just be curious what our fully fit 22 looks like in the coaches mind.

I'm guessing they keep 3 talls, maybe they see Wicks or Fox out for Parker for instance and some shuffling around .

We certainly want less Errol under packs

Mobility is the BIG question mark on Parker v Hayward. Can he shutdown and apply the pressure? Can he get out the back and take those offensive marks? In close he is ace. In open field he is a dinky. He marks as well as Hayward. He does not spread, apply pressure over distance like Hayward. Sometimes there is a lot of space forward. Sometimes Hayward goes back to the defensive 50 and then runs forward to the offensive 50. Parker cannot do that. He cannot be the marking linking target on the wing. It depends what you want. Do you want the Hayward package. Do you want the Parker package if it is in fact Parker for Hayward.

You lose something with Hayward out and you probably gain experience with Parker in. If Parker does come in it stresses other areas of the team and field but probably strengthens the area around goal. Maybe.
Hayward hardly does those things anyway so yeah I'll take the Parker package thanks rusty!

Hayward hardly does those things anyway so yeah I'll take the Parker package thanks rusty!
You say
Hayward hardly goes back to the D50.
Hayward hardly applies pressure in the F50.
Hayward hardly does not become an outlet from our D50.
Hayward hardly does not apply tackling pressure in the F50.

Parker has a lot of running, pressure, outlet and tackling to do to cover those 4 things.

Explain how Parker can do those 4 things or alternatively do other stuff that enables the side to accommodate him.

or just check out and not answer the question.

How he fits?

He can't kick for s**t and we have developed into a precision team and second half of last year he looked 45, so fitness mostly

If he is fit and can win contested possies still then yep walks in.

But in the final he had to go hide forward (where he lifted )

and of course No one should waltz in after missing a few months of footy

Finally big question - who is he replacing ? easy to say he walks up , which spot he taking?

I've seen people say campbell, so ok Parker is sub , cool
He can’t kick?

I’d actually regard him as the best set-shot we have!

My view: he’s a terrific kick. It’s just he’s often forced into dump-kicks under pressure from stoppages because he doesn’t have the option of break-away speed.

He’s one of our best players & will add quality to the side on return - whenever that may be. Personally, I hope it’s in the forward line.

Last edited:
That’s the last thing he’d do, our president has convinced him to talk at HT and do an event before the game.
Hawthorn are marketing it as "Say bye to Buddy" when, he isn't even appearing on the ground.

He's also carried the load and been a warrior , needs a lighter load as he get older and can't put a price on his leadership.

I can't see him taking Haywards spot, they like haywards defensive work and he is a good 10cm taller as a target. Mind you Parker is a good grab.

I'd just be curious what our fully fit 22 looks like in the coaches mind.

I'm guessing they keep 3 talls, maybe they see Wicks or Fox out for Parker for instance and some shuffling around .

We certainly want less Errol under packs
It is 3cm not 10. People are going quite bonkers, compared to Hayward , Parker is

• A better mark
  • A better kick
  • A factor in general play and stoppages
  • A source of concern for the Oppo
  • Smarter, an organiser and leader
  • Clearly underrated
Twice in 6 rounds Hayward has had halves where he had next door to doughnuts.

You say
Hayward hardly goes back to the D50.
Hayward hardly applies pressure in the F50.
Hayward hardly does not become an outlet from our D50.
Hayward hardly does not apply tackling pressure in the F50.

Parker has a lot of running, pressure, outlet and tackling to do to cover those 4 things.

Explain how Parker can do those 4 things or alternatively do other stuff that enables the side to accommodate him.

or just check out and not answer the question.
I say Hayward hardly does those things, yes. Not only does he not do them often enough to warrant a spot in the 22 (IMO), I think Parker could do them all and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back