Durham - Setterfield - Martin
Perkins - Langford - Mass
Stringer - Flip - Tippa
Draper - Merrett - Parish
Shiel - Caldwell - Hind - Hobbs
Davey

would prefer Langford fwd and Weideman back

‘Let’s keep an eye to the future’

Rewards Phillips’ 4-stat/0-mark game rucking against a back flanker and literally plays 1 of the last 12 kids we’ve drafted

I like Scott but jeez I hate the insistence on playing senior players irrelevant of form

Hmm

Ridley - Zerk - Kelly
Redman - Weideman - McGrath
Durham - Setterfield - Martin
Perkins - Langford - Mass
Stringer - Flip - Tippa
Draper - Merrett - Parish
Shiel - Caldwell - Hind - Hobbs
Davey

would prefer Langford fwd and Weideman back
Whjy do we need Weid back?
Matchups aren't ideal but
BZT - Hawk
Ridley - Cameron
Redman - Rohan
Kelly - Henry

Looks like Hind AND Mass might play back in that setup?

Secret to controlling Hawkins and Cameron. Defend as well as we did for 3/4 on Tuesday. If they do not have the space to work in then it is harder to get results. Personal wise the others just have to help out BZT and Ridley.

I thought I saw in the last quarter Snelling pulled up short on one occasion, I'm assuming he is 100%
Was that after chasing someone in the middle, early last quarter? I saw someone grab their leg but thought it must have been cramp.

I'm thinking Mass might play forward with Tippa.
Hind to play back. Langford will probably play back especially with Heppell and Laverde both out.
I expect Hobbs to play mostly in the forward line replacing Langford's role up there with occasional stints on ball.

I wouldn't read too much into the changes in terms of long term whose our best 22 etc. We are coming off a 5 day break. They are heavily incentivized to bring in some fresh players with plenty of run and that's what they've done.

Oh and I'm so glad Merrett is back. Team looks so much better with him.

Laverde is a big loss made so much worse by the fact that Reid isn't ready yet having only just returned from injury. If Reid had been playing VFL since the start of the year i'd be pretty hyped right now but alas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

GEELONG OUTS: Stengle, Stanley, C. Guthrie, Parfitt, Selwood, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Evans, J. Henry
GEELONG INS: O'Connor, Simpson, Rohan, Miers, Bews, Duncan, Bowes, O. Henry

ESSENDON OUTS: Cutler, Stewart, Smith, Wright, Guelfi, Heppell, Cox, Laverde, Ham, Baldwin
ESSENDON INS: Zerk-Thatcher, Durham, Weideman, Stringer, Hobbs, Setterfield, Phillips, D'Ambrosio, McDonald-Tipungwuti

Caldwell shifts back forward due to Merretts return and Hobbs replaces Snelling because he’s better then him as a SF that’s your two SFs and Mass is the F/D swing player
Hobbs being better than Snell in a SF role is entirely speculative. Snello finished 3rd in the BnF in the role and he wasn't exactly poor on ANZAC Day either.

What’s the deal with omitted vs managed vs injured? Is there a requirement to publish the reason for leaving a player out of a named side or is it all just bread and circuses?

What’s the deal with omitted vs managed vs injured? Is there a requirement to publish the reason for leaving a player out of a named side or is it all just bread and circuses?
omitted = plays in the VFL, no AFL match fee.

injured = doesn't have medical clearance to play. if the injury occurred during the course of their employment (while playing or training) then they are paid match fees for all the games they miss.

"rested"/"managed" or listed as an emergency & does not play at either level = medically fit to play, but treated like an injury for the purposes of the CBA and they get paid as if they did play.

16.3 Injuries not covered by Item 16.1

(a) Except where item 16.1 applies, an AFL Player who suffers an injury as a result of which he is unfit to play football in the AFL Competition, which injury is caused:
(i) by playing football in a Match; or​
(ii) by playing football in a second tier match; or​
(iii) at an official training session; or​
(iv) by attending an official AFL Club function; or​
(v) whilst on official club duties at the direction of the AFL Club, shall, provided the Player has not caused such injury by his own negligence, be compensated as follows:​
(vi) if injured in the AFL Competition, 100% of Senior Match payments for all Matches missed up to a maximum of 30 Matches provided that:​
(A) an Exhibition Match shall be treated as a Senior Match for the purposes of this item;​
(B) if a Player plays the last match of the AFL Season for his club in the AFL Competition and is required by his Club to continue playing in a second tier competition, the Player shall be treated as having been injured in a Senior Match in the AFL Competition;​
(C) if a Player is required to play in a second tier competition on a weekend when the player’s AFL Club is not playing a Match in the AFL Competition and the Player’s previous Match was a Senior Match in the AFLCompetition, the Player shall be treated as having been injured in a Senior Match in the AFL Competition; and​
(D) if a Player is injured at training or in circumstances described in clauses (iv) or (v) above, and the last Match he played was a Senior Match, the Player shall be treated as having been injured in a Senior Match in the AFL Competition.​
(vii) if injured in a second tier competition, and that Player is on the Primary List of a Club or is an Eligible Rookie, $1000 per match for each match in excess of three matches missed due to the injury, capped at $10,000.​

(b) For the purposes of clarity, the rate for a Match played in the Pre-Season Competition is the same rate as is applicable to a Match played in the AFL Premiership Season.

(c) The obligation of the AFL Club under this clause shall be subject to and conditional upon the Player using his best endeavours to rehabilitate himself and return to playing fitness as soon as possible. The obligation of the Player shall without limitation, include observing all reasonable directions of the AFL Club in relation to his rehabilitation including diet, exercise, special training and attendance for medical or pharmaceutical treatment.

(d) Any dispute as to whether an injury was suffered by a Player or is subject to the provisions of this item or whether a Player has used his best endeavours to rehabilitate himself shall be referred to the Grievance Tribunal who may where appropriate appoint an independent medical practitioner to provide an opinion.

(e) A Player who:
(i) is rested or listed as an emergency for a Match; and
(ii) the last match he played was a Match in the AFL Competition; and
(iii) does not play in a match in a second tier competition in the same round of matches,
shall be deemed to be injured for the purposes of clause 16.3(a) and shall be compensated in accordance with that clause and any such Match will be counted for the purposes of any match incentives provided for in a Player’s Standard Playing Contract. For the avoidance of doubt, the Player will not be compensated if the relevant club had a bye or was not scheduled to play in a second tier competition in the same round.

(f) A Player injured in one season and who is subsequently delisted or whose contract is otherwise terminated shall be entitled to the benefits under item 16.3(a)(vi) as if he were not delisted or the contract otherwise terminated provided that the Player:
(i) was entitled to the benefit of this provision during the period of his contract;​
(ii) has, insofar as reasonably practicable, brought the existence of the injury to the attention of the AFL Club prior to the Player being delisted or his contract being otherwise terminated; and​
(iii) maintains regular consultation with the AFL Club which previously employed him and does not do anything within the period to which he is entitled to the benefits under this item, to prejudice any Hospital or Medical Benefits payments or entitlement to such payments.​

(g) A Player who suffers an injury and who is entitled to the benefits set out in this item shall, in addition to the payments under this item, be paid any difference between the amount recoverable under any claim from the relevant Hospital and Medical Benefits Fund and the amount actually payable for the cost of treatment provided that such treatment was approved by a medical practitioner or other relevantly qualified professional such as a physiotherapist and such treatment was directly referable to the injury.

(h) The AFL shall ensure that Players who suffer injuries in representative matches organised by or conducted under the auspices of AFL, shall be entitled to injury payments from AFL as if such Player was injured as a Player for his AFL Club in a Senior Match.

(i) For the purposes of this item 16.3, where a Player is injured whilst playing a Match in a second tier competition within two weeks of returning from an injury suffered in a Match in the AFL Competition, the rate of payment shall be calculated on the applicable Senior Match payment the Player would have been entitled to receive if the injury had been suffered in a Match in the AFL Competition; and

(j) For the purposes of this item a Rookie shall be deemed to be eligible for selection to play in a Senior Match.
https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploads/2020/12/AFL_CBA_2017-2022-1.pdf pp 81-83

So for example, Jones last played at AFL level, was listed as an emergency, would've got his match fee for the Collingwood game.

If he's held over again this week and doesn't play VFL, same applies.

Same for Heppell, Phillips, Davey, etc. when they've been rested and not played in the 2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back