Preview Round 7 v GWS Giants. Saturday 1:45pm, GIANTS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year...

In previous years it's been relatively easy to do this preview. I pretty consistently compare and contrast the different sections of the field, who has the advantage of each, and then tip the Giants. Obviously last year I finally got the last bit wrong after six straight losses - not one of our most heralded losing streaks that we ended last year, but still up there. On the field we did everything right and despite the Giants keeping it "close" once we got a jump on them, they never really looked like pulling it back.

However from the above context it's pretty obvious I'm talking about the regular season only. The game in finals was a completely different matter. The Giants had knuckled down to a blue collar pressure approach, while relying on some of the best intercept markers in the game - everyone knows about Haynes, but Davis was top 5 last year as well. Combined with Taylor's coming of age they basically just shut down our increasingly desperate and frantic attempts to score. They smashed the Dogs (a not-so-quiet media darling at the time), and then pipped us (not a media darling) and the Pies (a premiership favourite by that point) with this combination of hitting hard over the ball and chopping off attacks. It came apart in the grand final but mainly due to players like Tomlinson and others panicing under pressure until their opportunity was gone.

This year...

So... we have two almost diametrically opposite matchups last year to confound predictions this year. What about form this year? Well, again it's a puzzle on both counts. We've looked good. I'm discarding Round 1 for both teams, because who cares what happened back then (a quick reminder - the teams currently in 2nd and 3rd and 8th lost by four or five goals each. 4th and 14th, and 6th and 16th played games that were decided by a kick or less. We weren't in lockdowns. What a time). Easily disposing of WA and SA teams, including the at-that-point intimidating Port, saw us on top of the world before one quarter against Geelong bought all our doubts and insecurities crashing back. Our midfield and defense has been pretty solid in general and our forward line has shone at times, and other times basically played their structures well enough to keep us on top.

GWS has struggled, losing to the Dogs (again) and NM (what!) before apparently reaching redemption over Collingwood (how can one loss kick off such a messed up fortnight for a club I don't know, but I love it) and Hawthorn (except now it turns out they're crap)... and then struggling against the same Port team we just beat comfortably. More prediction confounding! GWS's midfield has been a rollercoaster, with Kelly looking like a star but only 50% of the time, Coniglio playing the role Mitch Robinson does for us for approximately 17 times the pay packet, and Hopper taking a step back, seemingly deferring to the out of form Coniglio. Taranto should be back this week, and might be the spark they are looking for but god knows how they'll fit them all in without rotating someone (their captain?) out of there. Whitfield is the only real star delivering each week, and the shorter quarters has hampered his ability to run teams off their legs. The defense has been fine but their forward line has been border-line dysfunctional. How a team with four genuine options to goal can struggle to score is mind-blowing.

In conclusion...

Overall I think we've easily demonstrated the most since the restart. Sitting in 3rd isn't a fluke. We're the only team to beat 1st and we lost one quarter to 2nd. GWS sitting in 10th isn't really a fluke given their form to date, but it's also pretty clear they're underperforming in the regular season (again). As an admitted fan, member, and follower of both teams, I can't help but wonder what Fagan would be able to do with GWS's talent given his ability to take role players and turn them into key parts of our team by playing to their strengths. OTOH Leon Cameron seems to turn stars into role players by picking them and expecting them to win individual battles without support.

I'd argue GWS still has more talent on the field, though the gap is closing quickly with McCluggage, Berry and others developing well, but our ability to stick to structures and break down repeated issues in GWS's (poor zone defense, slow ball movement, a preference to contain rather than pressure) should see us handle this. (Caveat: unless they somehow flick that switch that turns them into a high pressure, high intensity team that they seem to randomly toggle after a loss sometimes. I would be more confident if they'd beaten Port.)

Great preview dlanod.

Fox Sports brought up an interesting stat.

The Lions have a bit of an issue defensively - as funny as that sounds with Harris Andrews turning into arguably the game’s best backman.

Once teams get inside 50 against Chris Fagan’s side, they’re deadly. The Lions rank 17th for conceding scores from inside 50s, and 16th for conceding goals.

If their excellent midfield can stop you from getting forward, they don’t have any problems. But then the midfield falls off, like it did in the third quarter against Geelong, they turn into Swiss cheese.

Great preview dlanod.

My interpretation of that would be a number of our inside 50s are from turnovers which leave our midfield streaming ahead of the ball, resulting in easy entries the other way.

Our record against GWS is pretty appalling and if memory serves, we’ve never beaten them in Sydney, so we’ll have to be at our absolute best to win.

Unfortunately, I’m more resigned facing GWS than I was Port or Geelong.

Therefore we’ll probably win.;)

Our record against GWS is pretty appalling and if memory serves, we’ve never beaten them in Sydney, so we’ll have to be at our absolute best to win.

Unfortunately, I’m more resigned facing GWS than I was Port or Geelong.

Therefore we’ll probably win.;)
Round 16 last year in my opinion maybe our best performance of the year.

Agree we will have to be at our best to win. Very tough team.

Double bounce back factor here, both teams coming off disappointing losses, will be a very big game, can't wait!

Great preview dlanod.

I think this is a “weakness” in the Fagan game plan. our defence push up hard to ensure repeat entries, but allow considerable space behind that can be exploited if the opposition can make a clean exit from their defence. So we concede goals with their forwards running in space, but generally not enough to allow the opposition to kick a winning score. Works well when our forwards are on their game and aggressively hunt defenders, which explains why some forwards are consistently picked even though individual Stats appear poor. However when we get out pressured by the opposition, like third quarter against Geelong, the structure and game plan comes aPart.

Literally last year. ;)

My interpretation of that would be a number of our inside 50s are from turnovers which leave our midfield streaming ahead of the ball, resulting in easy entries the other way.

Probably has come as a result of using the corridor a lot more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only tall reserve we took to Sydney is Skinner.

People seem obsessed with this but it is a one hour plane ride down. They might also want to rotate guys who are in hub in order to give games to the guys not playing so I am not reading too much into the reserves they had last week.

FWIW though Skinner started life as a defender and is very decent in that role. We just had so many defenders and so few forwards that they played him up forward for a while and he has grown into that role. No reason he could not play as a swing man.

As an aside I wonder if the players are getting nervous with parts of Sydney now being persona non grata to Qld.

People seem obsessed with this but it is a one hour plane ride down. They might also want to rotate guys who are in hub in order to give games to the guys not playing so I am not reading too much into the reserves they had last week.

FWIW though Skinner started life as a defender and is very decent in that role. We just had so many defenders and so few forwards that they played him up forward for a while and he has grown into that role. No reason he could not play as a swing man.

As an aside I wonder if the players are getting nervous with parts of Sydney now being persona non grata to Qld.
David Noble mentioned last week that any player who flies in after a the others will need to quarantine for 2 weeks from when they get there as the club played a Melbourne team Last week.
So if we fly someone in on Thursday this week they will have to quarantine for 2 weeks from that point.
So I think it is unlikely we will fly someone in for this one game especially as we now know we are back to Brissie next week.

Yikes but not surprising - our recruits are offering no run at all

I have absolutely no idea how the stat relates to our recruits offering no run at all. You could say that it shows they are poor defensively I guess, but I think the overall point made by dlanod that this is reflective of our gameplan to press up high and get repeat entries is probably more accurate. I don't know what our inside 50 differential is against but I'd guess that it is pretty good.

I have absolutely no idea how the stat relates to our recruits offering no run at all. You could say that it shows they are poor defensively I guess, but I think the overall point made by dlanod that this is reflective of our gameplan to press up high and get repeat entries is probably more accurate. I don't know what our inside 50 differential is against but I'd guess that it is pretty good.
+67 for inside 50 Differential after 6 rounds.
Only lost the count 1 against Freo -1 in that game.

Would much prefer to see Witherden in this side than Birchall. Hopefully he gets a chance to redeem himself again soon.

First few weeks I agreed, he just looks slow.. but I think he is getting better each week, his elite kicking has set up so much for us.. makes us look so much better coming out of the back half.. I'd sooner like to have Answorth come into the back 6 and push starc further up the field than witherden though..

Great preview from someone who follows both clubs.
GWS form is very inconsistent as you have pointed out but are only 1 game behind the Lions.
Hopefully we get them on a down day.
A win against the runners up in 2019 will give us a good boost heading back home for the next game.
Revenge from last year should be motivation enough to play out the full 4 quarters this week
Will be a hard game to win on GWS home turf.

First few weeks I agreed, he just looks slow.. but I think he is getting better each week, his elite kicking has set up so much for us.. makes us look so much better coming out of the back half.. I'd sooner like to have Answorth come into the back 6 and push starc further up the field than witherden though..
He's quicker than Birchall and just as good (if not better) kick. AND, he's a 21 year old with plenty of footy in him.

Must stop:
- Greene everywhere he goes
- Haynes getting easy marks in our F50
- Whitfield late in quarters

I reckon we’ll see a more fired up Lions outfit this week. Mids will be keen to get first hands on it. Neale will have his hands full. Will need some big games by Lyons and Zorko.

I’m pretty confident we are going to create enough opportunities to win. The difference between winning and losing might be how straight we kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back