Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much complaining about fin, how about getting excited about sully’s debut and HH making it into the starting 22. The level of emotional investment for an unproven player is quite odd. If you never watched footy and just read this forum, you’d be mistaken in thinking fins only peer is nick.

Play the kids doesn’t mean play the fin, we have other kids too, I myself am pretty pumped to see what HH can do tonight.

lol, best memories of my childhood when we were “given no chance”. I wonder if Kane is familiar with this one?

No hope in QF against Port at AAMI

Also, this classic, courtesy of West Australian colonists’ discrimination and Kane with egg on his face:

Kane salty about “dirty pies” getting the job done 😂

I’m fairly certain that Kane was cowering when Dutchy visited him on the Sunday Footy Show, too:

Kane SH1TTING his pants

Look, Kane has some good opinions, but his opinion changes with the Melbourne weather. Four opinions in one day. He has small man syndrome. But thanks for the high octane tonight, Kane. It’ll be nice hearing your rebuttal on Monday…

Last edited:

I don't look at the Stat Sheet

I look at the fact that he never gets more than 1 full game at a time to even attempt to do anything.

I'd be FAR more understanding of his plight if I saw him get a block of 3-4 games NOT as the sub and then not have any impact.

I can't be accepting of the selection when I see long term senior players who are playing poorly (not just Sidebottom) multiple weeks in a row with no repercussions but a young kid touted as "our future" who can't be given more than ONE game to show something?

Come on now

His lack of versatility hurts him. Right now, he's an inside mid and the coaches have opted for Sullivan. Rather than Fin, they've opted for a combo of Naics, Crisp and possibly Lippa, Mcreery and Maynard to go through the midfield.

Whilst i agree that Sidey and Crisp as 2 examples are players out of form, they have an enormous amount of credits in the bank. Are they running out? Possibly.

The next 4-5 weeks determines the fate of our season. If we're not pushing for top 4 in a months time, then i'd be all for boys like Fin, Reef and co to be given a solid run at it.

Right now, we have a game to win tonight then a block of 3-4 games that we should be winning. The season is alive and we need our more experienced out of form guns to get their arse into gear so we can go B2B.

So much complaining about fin, how about getting excited about sully’s debut and HH making it into the starting 22. The level of emotional investment for an unproven player is quite odd. If you never watched footy and just read this forum, you’d be mistaken in thinking fins only peer is nick.

Play the kids doesn’t mean play the fin, we have other kids too, I myself am pretty pumped to see what HH can do tonight.

very true. I am just pumped for a game with so much at stake. So many (non-collingwood) matches mean little but this one is a genuine eight-point game. We go in as underdogs but I am just thinking about what a win will mean.

Can’t see us winning. They’ll smash us in the middle.

Didn't watch their game last week? They smoked the Cats on the inside.

It's clear we want to turn tonight into a foot race, Carlton are vulnerable when the ball gets to the outside, they don't defend well and Crazy Vossy knows it.

As long as our mids bring the heat then Moore, Howe etc can intercept all night.

I get that but the life of a footballer is very short and their earning potential limited to their 20s. Fair enough if you don't play certain players but it's unfair to expect they'll stay on the list in perpetuity and be honoured to be at the club. Eventually they'll leave.
The Adams situation was win win. Ageing list and he was being phased out and was offered 3 years at Sydney. He'd be nuts not to take it
I can see Sydney's 'win' but not so much ours in a year where he would certainly get a game in our midfield, particularly today.

Given Harrison's inclusion as a starter tonight, it wouldn't surprise me to see Beau line up in the middle early.

Sullivan has come in for Mitchell. Beau is probably the closest we have to JDG outside of Crisp and Pendles. Maynard could be the other, however he's not as quick as Beau.

This is where the art of coaching comes to the fore tonight. Missing 2 inside guns so we need to get inventive. There should be some centre square stints from Beau, Bruzzy, Billy E etc to really change up the mix and to throw different looks at the Blues.

Lets not worry about fin right now. The coaches know more than anyone what they are doing and teaching him, and he is eager to improve and get better. They would be talking to him about what he needs to improve in his game to get more opportunity.
His time will come again, just will keep working at it.
Exactly. And he would & could be taking inspiration from Sullivan who is the epitome of perseverance & resilience.

What’s Sullivan’ additional spot - are you really going to say HBF or FWD where he’s played QTRs not games.

Last year the critics of Finn said that until he dominates in the VFL then he didn’t deserve promotion.
Now that’s he’s achieved that metric, the goal posts has shifted and he needs to have positional flexibility.

Ironically it’s his focus on ONE position that’s got his numbers up in the VFL to the numbers the critics wanted.

Now these same people are not satisfied, and roll out the knocks again.

Give him time extended games in the middle at seniors level - if he doesn’t prove himself, then positional flexibility is completely irrelevant.
Yeah I can't quite understand it. Maybe he will, maybe he won't make it. But give him 4 full games, rather than 3 half games to show it . Others have been given much more opportunity despite showing less at vfl level.
Excited for HH and Sullivan tonight. Hope they both get a full game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're looking too much at stats. He's a very good footballer, but he doesn't really have the strengths for an AFL role yet. Runs and kicks like an inside mid, but plays more like a linkman - without enough skill or pace for that at AFL. I don't think the coaches need to see him at AFL for a block of games to know that he's not quite right yet. His hands are clean and he spreads well from a contest, but he's got to improve his work at the coal face - he's still too reactive to be an AFL mid with his athletic traits and skills. Hopefully it comes, but it's not there yet and may never be.
Mate - I’m only using stats to expose the critic’s who wanted him to lift his numbers, which he has done.

Hypocritically, that’s now no longer good enough, and the focus has shifted to positional flexibility.
The kid can’t win.

Anyway I think I’ve made my point on this topic, and can’t add anything else.

There was a game vs Melbourne a few years ago where they demolished us on the inside but we ran rings around them on the outside and won the game comfortably, hopefully tap into that tonight

I was thinking they'd play Nick solely inside mid, but perhaps they should just be defensive in the midfield - stop the exits being dangerous and use Nick to demolish them on the rebound.

Mate - I’m only using stats to expose the critic’s who wanted him to lift his numbers, which he has done.

Hypocritically, that’s now no longer good enough, and the focus has shifted to positional flexibility.
The kid can’t win.

Anyway I think I’ve made my point on this topic, and can’t add anything else.
Often it's different people saying different things. For me, not having another role is an issue because it means he can't cut his teeth in an easier AFL role - which is how most mids have traditionally begun their careers in the AFL.

Looking forward to Sullivan getting in there and good to have Markov's speed back hopefully he can return to his best.
Need some big games from Crispy, Pendles and co and also need to have the backline stand up...... I am always confident and nothing has changed this week.
Pies by 17pts and Billy to kick 4 #gopies

I’d like to see Beau given midfield minutes early tonight and release Nick more behind the play.
Pressure Carlton midfield into rushed errors then construct with Nick n co, off hb.
As long as we can make it hard for Carlton to have clean clearance, then we may be a show.

Slingshot will be critical for us tonight. When we get it we need to go, as it won't allow Weitering the opportunity to set up behind the ball as easily.

Carlton have brought Cincotta in and dropped Kemp, presumably to match our speed and smalls. It could be interesting if we're able to manufacture one of our midfield rotations to involves Pendles playing forward, as none of Carlton's back 6 other than Weitering and Young are above 190cms.

Anyone else think we looked a lot better & seemed to clear the ball out of defence hitting a link target when Naicos was taking the kick outs ? Atm we seem to dump long to a pack, or get caught up in the pocket with a short chip….
This has been a theme all year.

We're so much better having Nick play on from the kick in as it allows him to either spot up someone just outside 50 or execute a corridor kick if the opposition fail to defend it.

Other players are too willing to chip into the pocket which then leads to a kick down the line to a contest. Do that tonight and we'll play into Carlton's hands by granting them the chance to either mark or generate a stoppage.

Noble remains entirely underwhelming to me. Poor decision-maker and disposer of the ball, who is limited physically which impedes his tackling ability.

I can't question his effort and application, however to me he's a limited AFL-standard player who suits the sub role well, but nothing more.
I don't even think he suits the sub role well. Subbed off yes, subbed on no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back