Ruck Prospects 2007 NAB Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Where would Reece Phoenix fit in the mix?
I don't see Pheonix as a ruck at AFL level. He is another that is only 197 and quite frankly his ruck skills are virtually non-existant. He got smashed at Div 2 level and that doesn't bode well for your chances of getting picked up. If he gets picked I think it will be on the basis that someone thinks they can make a key position out of him. He is pretty athletic.

Quigley makes some good points about Phoenix however I believe his skills are definatly above non existent. Due to this being his first carnival under this sort of pressure I believe that may have contributed. I have seen quite alot of him and his skills are extremely good for a big man and can take a big pack contested mark. His athletisism is his real feature as he is able to run 14 + beep tests and covers the ground extremely well. Wouldnt be surprised to see a club take the punt on the man.

I don't see Pheonix as a ruck at AFL level. He is another that is only 197 and quite frankly his ruck skills are virtually non-existant. He got smashed at Div 2 level and that doesn't bode well for your chances of getting picked up. If he gets picked I think it will be on the basis that someone thinks they can make a key position out of him. He is pretty athletic.

yes and no he has a great set of hands and has no hesitations of going back with the flight in defense. Could be turned in to a luke darcy ruckman who pushes forward to play that key position.

I have taken the liberty of trying to put together a list of all available ruckmen for this years draft. Can anyone add or alter the height for them, and also give them a ranking as to where they may go please.

Name - Height - Weight - Estimated pick
Matthew Kruezer 199cm 91kg - No.1
Tom Bellchambers 201cm 92kg - Top 10
Ben McEvoy 200cm 90 kg - Top 20
James Wundke 197cm 84kg - Top 20 (Ruck/Forward)
Brent Connelly 202cm 84kg - Top 25
James Mulligan 201cm 87kg - Top 25
Dean Putt 202cm 88 kg - Top 40
Dawson Simpson 206cm 97 kg - Good chance
Will Sullivan 202cm 95kg - Good Chance
Andrew Renton 202cm 94 kg - Good chance

David Hill
Michael Griffiths 206 cm
Matthew Breen
Jake Spencer
Lachlan Henderson
Reece Phoenix 197cm
Stefan Martin 198cm

What about a bloke who missed last year - Luke Nugent. Went OK at 06 Nationals and then was injured. Could not believe that he missed a rookie berth. Watched the WA v SA game again and he stitched Jacobs up.

He left East Freo and went to Perth. Played some league and went all right. Smashed Breen at Peel in a night game. Been injured but I happened to catch him in the ressies last week. Perth member told me that he is coming back and not fully fit but he had 27 hit outs and 20 possessions and rucked all day against 3 blokes one of whom was Michael Embley. former WCE rookie).

Any thoughts?

what do people think of luke lowden?very tall and skinny at the moment but i reckon will fill out and make a fantastic player.i no he is only 16 but does he have what it takes to make it to the big league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am probably going to be a bit biased here but I rate Leuenberger higher. Both look like good prospects but for me if I wanted a ruckman likely to dominate the competition I would be going with Leuenberger. Kreuzer might have the better endurance of the two and will keep running and presenting all day and although Leuenberger is above average in this capacity too I feel that Kreuzer edges him. Both are very good skill wise and below the knee and not much separates them in this regard.

The big difference for me though is actually likely to be in the ruck. Leuenberger quite simply looks like he is going to dominate in this area given another couple of years to develop. He is extremely clean in his ruck work and is going to make his mids jobs much easier. He is also 203 cms which is a very nice size for a ruck. Kreuzer on the other hand is probably only ever likely to be serviceable in the ruck contest. Certainly not the worst but certainly not amongst the elite. At 199cms he is bottom sized for a modern ruck and he hasn't dominated in the ruck at aged level. At the Champs this year he was only third in hit outs and I thought some of the counts he got were generous. The quality of his tap work is nowhere near that of Leuenberger.

I hope that helps.

I am probably going to be a bit biased here but I rate Leuenberger higher. Both look like good prospects but for me if I wanted a ruckman likely to dominate the competition I would be going with Leuenberger. Kreuzer might have the better endurance of the two and will keep running and presenting all day and although Leuenberger is above average in this capacity too I feel that Kreuzer edges him. Both are very good skill wise and below the knee and not much separates them in this regard.

The big difference for me though is actually likely to be in the ruck. Leuenberger quite simply looks like he is going to dominate in this area given another couple of years to develop. He is extremely clean in his ruck work and is going to make his mids jobs much easier. He is also 203 cms which is a very nice size for a ruck. Kreuzer on the other hand is probably only ever likely to be serviceable in the ruck contest. Certainly not the worst but certainly not amongst the elite. At 199cms he is bottom sized for a modern ruck and he hasn't dominated in the ruck at aged level. At the Champs this year he was only third in hit outs and I thought some of the counts he got were generous. The quality of his tap work is nowhere near that of Leuenberger.

I hope that helps.
Thanks mate that's a great write up.

I've got a mate who plays for Nothern and says that Kreuzers tapwork is fairly good, but it sounds as though that is not the strongest part of his game.

Perhaps in hindsight, Carlton should've taken Leuenberger last season and picked up a midfielder this year.

what do people think of luke lowden?very tall and skinny at the moment but i reckon will fill out and make a fantastic player.i no he is only 16 but does he have what it takes to make it to the big league?

pretty tall but thats about all hes got going for him at the moment, hes only young though i think u16?

Have people's thoughts changed at all after Draft Camp? There was so little information coming out on heights and weights...

All I've heard with regard to rucks is that Smouha did really well in the 3km and the Beep test, but he's around the 196cm mark.

Richmond and the Bulldogs having Picks #18 and #19 shapes for some interesting selections, the Bulldogs also having #35 and #43. Bellchambers and Simpson might fall to those two clubs.

Someone might look at David Fanning (Port Melbourne) played very well all year.

Joseph Fieschi from Oakleigh Chargers should be added to that list 200+cm beanpole might be rookied by someone.

Big kid from Queensland played before Challenge Cup Daniel Webb 200+cm didnt get a run at the champs but showed some promise in the game I saw.

Tallan Ames from Swans Districts might get a go this year after training at AFL clubs in the past.

Would anyone like to help me out here with what round you think these ruckmen will go?

Tom Bellchambers 201cm 92kg - 2nd round
Ben McEvoy 200cm 90 kg - 1st round
James Wundke 197cm 84kg - 4th.round. Maybe taken as forward.
Brent Connelly 202cm 84kg - 3rd round
James Mulligan 201cm 87kg - 3rd round
Dean Putt 202cm 88 kg - 5th round
Dawson Simpson 206cm 97 kg -2nd /3rd round
Will Sullivan 202cm 95kg - 2nd/3rd round
Andrew Renton 202cm 94 kg - 4th round
David Hill No idea
Michael Griffiths 206 cm Wont be picked up
Matthew Breen No idea
Jake Spencer No idea
Reece Phoenix 197cm 3rd round of rookie draft
Stefan Martin 198cm 5th round
Joel Smouha 196cm 3rd/4th round

Richmond and the Bulldogs having Picks #18 and #19 shapes for some interesting selections, the Bulldogs also having #35 and #43. Bellchambers and Simpson might fall to those two clubs.

Very unlikely we'll use pick 18 on a ruckman. This year is so deep that there will be plenty available come rookie draft time, and after Kruezer and McEvoy, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot between the rest of them.

B]Re: Ruck Prospects 2007 NAB Draft[/B]
Would anyone like to help me out here with what round you think these ruckmen will go?

Tom Bellchambers 201cm 92kg - 2nd round
Ben McEvoy 200cm 90 kg - 1st round
James Wundke 197cm 84kg - 4th.round. Maybe taken as forward.
Brent Connelly 202cm 84kg - 3rd round
James Mulligan 201cm 87kg - 3rd round
Dean Putt 202cm 88 kg - 5th round
Dawson Simpson 206cm 97 kg -2nd /3rd round
Will Sullivan 202cm 95kg - 2nd/3rd round
Andrew Renton 202cm 94 kg - 4th round
David Hill No idea
Michael Griffiths 206 cm Wont be picked up
Matthew Breen No idea
Jake Spencer No idea
Reece Phoenix 197cm 3rd round of rookie draft
Stefan Martin 198cm 5th round