Rumour - No Clarkes at Saints next year

Remove this Banner Ad

How can we have a season of 20-2, lose the grannie by a whisker and yet still have a player who is described as "average" and "OK" it just doesn't add up. At clubs like Richmond and Melbourne you can put up with this but for a team that is favorites for next year's flag you can no longer be carrying a player who is a liability to the defence, showed no improvements since he 1st began and can't step up on the big stage (let alone the little one)...
RAPH MUST GO!

I'm disapointed to lose X, injuries got the better of him.
The way I see it is X saw the wrighting on the wall. If fit this year he would have struggled to get a game. There are 3 to 4 players in 2nds who are pushing behind him. Good move from X, new club and new start.

How can we have a season of 20-2, lose the grannie by a whisker and yet still have a player who is described as "average" and "OK" it just doesn't add up. At clubs like Richmond and Melbourne you can put up with this but for a team that is favorites for next year's flag you can no longer be carrying a player who is a liability to the defence, showed no improvements since he 1st began and can't step up on the big stage (let alone the little one)...
RAPH MUST GO!

How about you go.

Preferably somewhere with no internet or phone access where you can't bore the rest of us with your boring dribble.

RAPH MUST GO!
What's your story? Perhaps we went 22-3 because Raph was there, amongst all the others and not despite his presence, which you imply. Not every player can be a St. Nick or Dal Santo but iIf Lyon got us to the grannie and in his judgment he's in our best 22 then I'll go with him, not you

What's your story? Perhaps we went 22-3 because Raph was there, amongst all the others and not despite his presence, which you imply. Not every player can be a St. Nick or Dal Santo but iIf Lyon got us to the grannie and in his judgment he's in our best 22 then I'll go with him, not you

Most of us can sort of judge which players are contributing towards winning a game. Then there are other players who have dedicated fans, who believe the player has been fantastic if they receive a handball and kick the ball to another player a couple of times without losing possession.

And if we were going to have balanced discussion (which doesn't seem to apply to Raph), we would note he played 4 out of the first 13 games when a fairly handy standard of footy was set by the Saints.

I believe that Ross Lyon and his coaching staff are even better than most of us here to sort of judge which players are contributing towards winning a game.

I agree that discussions about Raph Clarke are hardly ever balanced - the same applied to e.g. Max Hudghton this year (who, while we are at it, played even less, three, out of the first 13 games when a fairly handy standard of footy was set by the Saints).

I believe that Ross Lyon and his coaching staff are even better than most of us here to sort of judge which players are contributing towards winning a game.

I agree that discussions about Raph Clarke are hardly ever balanced - the same applied to e.g. Max Hudghton this year (who, while we are at it, played even less, three, out of the first 13 games when a fairly handy standard of footy was set by the Saints).

Maxy has a bit of history behind him though.
I hope they change the logic a bit if Nick R has a bit of an injury early next season. I'd hate to see him permanantly replaced by Ben McEvoy , If Ben manages to kick a goal most games and dosn't stuff up.

Maxy has a bit of history behind him though.
I hope they change the logic a bit if Nick R has a bit of an injury early next season. I'd hate to see him permanantly replaced by Ben McEvoy , If Ben manages to kick a goal most games and dosn't stuff up.

Come on, SaintsSeptember, you almost sound like Nexus defending Grant Thomas in your effort all over this board to disparage Raph Clarke.

Let it go.

(I could replace Hudghton with Armitage - who hasn't played any of the first 13 games - but that is not the point, is it ?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on, SaintsSeptember, you almost sound like Nexus defending Grant Thomas in your effort all over this board to disparage Raph Clarke.

Let it go.

(I could replace Hudghton with Armitage - who hasn't played any of the first 13 games - but that is not the point, is it ?)

Holden, I was right on the Raph wagon in 2008. I was at the game yelling " kick it to Raph". I looked forward to him achieving or bettering that sort of standard all through 2009 and even getting a bit better.
But I've been very disappointed that he has struggled to achieve those levels this year, while Gilbert, Geary, Jones, McQualter and even Gwilt have vastly improved.
Objectively I can't help thinking that Geary has shown nearly as much this year as Raph did last year.
When is enough enough?

the same applied to e.g. Max Hudghton this year

Yep, it does - I was comfortable with the decision to leave Max out of the finals with only 7 games behind him at AFL level this year.

Ralph was worst on ground by a mile in your first
final and equal worst on ground in the Grand Final
( equal with Milne and S. Johnson ). Playing Clarke
was a mojor FU by Lyon. Max in a wheelchair is a
better option than R. Clarke.

Ralph was worst on ground by a mile in your first
final and equal worst on ground in the Grand Final
( equal with Milne and S. Johnson ). Playing Clarke
was a mojor FU by Lyon. Max in a wheelchair is a
better option than R. Clarke.

Gotta hate that Ralph Malph, worst player since Potsie.

I agree with leaving Max out of the finals, but I am dirty that he only got the 7 games that lead to that decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back