News Russell Ebert diagnosed with leukemia

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am literally in shock. Russ has obviously suffered so much and gone through hell, yet he is eternally humble, generous and graceful - just a champion human being.

In tears. Couldn’t watch it all.

Bloody hell, even after all he has endured, he wants to talk about others.

Same here. That is so hard to watch.

Russell was a glorious magnificent courageous majestic mercurial spectacular footballer and he is every bit of those qualities as a human being.

Life can be so cruel sometimes. Thank you Russell for your football and thank you for your grace dignity and humanity.

Truly the great man.

Don't think I'm going to be able to watch that

He's such a modest champion - spends most of the interview talking about the club, the volunteers, the community, others - not an ounce of self pity. And at the end there's still a grin and a twinkle in his eye, "Onwards and upwards!"

He speaks with such strength and humility. My mum, who is not a Football person, but a Ceduna girl, and had watched my dad, my brother and myself follow Port over the years was compelled to watch it. He's a gem. To have been an elite athlete, yet remain so humble is inspiring. I never saw him play, but always knew of the legend as anyone would. He is Port Adelaide personified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at my dads house when I looked at my phone and saw the clip and had to leave. I couldn’t show him. Dad finished chemo 6 months ago but it kicked the s**t out of him. They are the same age.
Every time dad would see Rus the great man would greet him like he was one of his best mates, he was just another one of the thousands of fans who worshipped Rus.
i thought I could have a weekend off from port dictating my emotions. I had a tear in my eyes last night watching the port documentary with my son now this video.
Stay strong port family, hug your loved ones and send your thoughts to Rus and his family.

Will try and watch again later but on first try I couldn’t get through it. Had 2 mates over here pass away recently, 1 from lung cancer and 1 from non Hodgkin lymphoma, watching Russell just bought back too many memories.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Watched the whole thing. Truly in awe of a wonderful human being.

I got through it ok but then my sister called just as it ended and I crumbled.

You will always be my hero Russell Ebert.

Saw him just before Xmas and he looked as he always did, strong, fit, healthy, looked like he could still pick up 15 & 2 in a forward pocket. Must have lost half his body weight now. Thats a hard watch. Sad.

Saw him just before Xmas and he looked as he always did, strong, fit, healthy, looked like he could still pick up 15 & 2 in a forward pocket. Must have lost half his body weight now. Thats a hard watch. Sad.
I lost 50kgs the doctors told my father being 130kgs saved my life crazy so of coarse I've put most of it back on.

What an absolutely wonderful person and bloke.
So humble and giving, even under the duress he is currently experiencing.
Feel so privileged to have seen him play in the flesh.
He's given me more joy and endearing memories than I could ever hope to have witnessed since way back when I was a young lad.

I watched the whole interview, well cried my way through it, but it deserves to be watched. I got the impression that Daniel Norton was struggling to keep it together a bit as well. Russell truly is a legend. The number of people’s lives he has touched and benefited in all sorts of ways, is phenomenal. Such a humble and caring man, the world will be a much sadder place when he leaves us, we can only hope it is not for a while yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back