News Russell Ebert diagnosed with leukemia

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a photo taken standing next to Russell at a family BBQ at West Lakes when I was about 8. Then I found out we shared the same birthday, I felt even closer to God.
Treasured boyhood memories.
As a few posted earlier, such a huge part of the fabric of our club and the Port.
A champion man. He is the greatest.

Last edited:
I'm finding it difficult to adequately put into words how I'm digesting this news. I feel privileged to have seen Russell at the end of his career - our 1980 team is still the best Magpies team I've ever seen, and Russell was at the forefront of our success that year.

Incredibly sad news: I just wish there was a way to beat this horrible disease!!!!!!

In 2018 I was honored to have had the opportunity to meet and also interview Russell for my web series for the Deaf & hard of hearing community. Easy to chat with, generous with his time. A true gentleman and I’ll never forget this.

Thinking of Russell and his family.

She said he was pretty old school but always open to new ideas.
That’s how a proper “old school” should always be. Isn’t this a pretty good description of the club’s spirit: deep roots (old), long branches (new), tall trunk (greatness)?

I was flat when the news broke, am very deflated right now.

i mentioned that I have had a few interactions with the great man, even wearing his ’71 Magarey Medal for a few precious moments.

The last one was in China 2018. Here was a bloke, older than me, working his arse off, for a Club he loves, in searing heat. Still took time out to speak with the fans who had ventured over for the game.

Crushed.

Like so many other Port supporters Russell Ebert was my hero growing up. Unlike many other peoples childhood heroes the admiration and love for him has never waned and in fact grown. He is a great human being that happened to be a phenomenal footballer.

Love you God/Herb/Russ.

Thoughts with the whole Ebert clan and any other Russell Ebert lovers like me.
I hope the club and players dedicate this season to Russ and win big for him.

loved the great man. Best wishes to his family.

A champion is someone who gets up - even when he can't.
Jack Dempsey

R F Ebert - a champion on and off the field of play, in every sense of the word.

How many times have we seen him triumph, when he had no earthly right to succeed?

Thoughts and hopes are with Russ and the family at this time. Praying for the best outcome - guess we will all have to wait and see how it goes.

4 Magarey Medals.

At some stage, he probably just figured he’d let other people have a go.

My wife - if she’d been born male - was going to be named Russell in his honor, and to this day I wind her up about it sometimes

The Advertiser better have a full front page photo AND NOTHING ELSE in commemoration, except for words like “goat” etc

4 Magarey Medals.

At some stage, he probably just figured he’d let other people have a go.

My wife - if she’d been born male - was going to be named Russell in his honor, and to this day I wind her up about it sometimes

The Advertiser better have a full front page photo AND NOTHING ELSE in commemoration, except for words like “goat” etc

Hopefully it will be a while before it comes to that but agreed.

How are you going with your health issues?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully it will be a while before it comes to that but agreed.

How are you going with your health issues?

ive been in St Andrews since Easter, having the fun of 41 days straight of chemo and radiotherapy, and *excuse me, had to throw up* very slowly recovering

apparently, I can’t do more than 1 (one) mouthful of lemonade yet

at least I’m paralyzed down my right-hand side, that’s cool! 🙄

ive been in St Andrews since Easter, having the fun of 41 days straight of chemo and radiotherapy, and *excuse me, had to throw up* very slowly recovering

Jesus.

Good luck fella

at least I’m paralyzed down my right-hand side, that’s cool!

Hang in there mate!

All the best to you

You're a fighter mate - all the best!!!

*ing hell. Stay strong mate.

at least I’m paralyzed down my right-hand side, that’s cool!

Keep fighting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

What you and your family are going thru puts some prospective into life, especially when it comes to the trivial s**t most grizzle about let alone a game of football.

All the best and may you and your family have some happiness in future Deaneus

Hey - I’m seeing lots of sad faces on my post - and I appreciate your responses

but I want you all to know I had a good life, did lots of amazing things, and am still very happy.

Wife is a bit sad to put it mildly but she’s looked after for afterwards

if you really want to do something, when you get home hug your family and tell them how much you love them

that’s what I want and I’m sure it’s what Russell Ebert would tell you to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back