News Sam Mitchell Heading home at seasons end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell may well end up at hawthorn but any suggestion that a deal has already been struck or even so much as an understanding reached to that effect is pure bullshit
Exactly this. I am not sure why people jump to the conclusion it was some master plan all along. He came to Perth in good faith, it hasn't worked for family reasons and he wants to head back to Melbourne. Given his history and connections, Hawthorn would be the most likely destination (either now or in the future).

Exactly this. I am not sure why people jump to the conclusion it was some master plan all along. He came to Perth in good faith, it hasn't worked for family reasons and he wants to head back to Melbourne. Given his history and connections, Hawthorn would be the most likely destination (either now or in the future).
The personal reasons will eventually come out as they are well known in the industry. I'd expect when they do, no one on this board will have made a different decision to what Sam and his family have had to make. He has expressed his love of the club and the opportunity we have given him and would have seen out his contract, but as he says, his family takes priority.
Suggestion by the media that the club is furious is scuttlebutt. The club is obviously trying to work in the best interest of the club, but they have been in dialogue with Sam for months.

I think its as simple as the Mrs just wanting to go home but he will never say that. Just like the Judd move, it was Twiggers who pushed the move, she wanted to make it big in Melb but he never admitted it.

As someone else alluded to earlier in the thread, as an assistant I think he spends a LOT more hours at the park and away form home, and that would definitley have an impact, and be quite jarring, for his Mrs wrt looking after the kids. As a player he would have been able to help a lot during the day with the kids, not so much as a coach.

As someone else alluded to earlier in the thread, as an assistant I think he spends a LOT more hours at the park and away form home, and that would definitley have an impact, and be quite jarring, for his Mrs wrt looking after the kids. As a player he would have been able to help a lot during the day with the kids, not so much as a coach.

Didn't he have some coaching duties last year in addition to his playing duties?

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. Barely been in the job and leaving because the mrs wants out. Surely he could have foreseen such circumstances. And if he wants to be an AFL coach, then you just cant cherry pick you way into only being in Vic sides. And why was there interest from Vic sides? Pretty unprofessional I would have thought for teams to be approaching him barely into his tenure. I don't know, the entire situation just reeks of unprofessional-ism in my books.

Poor form, Mitchell. On ya way.

Last edited:
He's going to Melbourne, whether he changes clubs or not. Deal with it.

But we have a season to finish when we can make a run at a flag - this is a distraction. Fight about it after the season is over if you must.

It's highly unlikely he will stay with the club plus he wont be good to anyone when the entire playing group is over here.
I bet he already has a job lined up as an assistant and good luck to him. Hope he does well, gets tonnes of experiences and comes back as our senior coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. Barely been in the job and leaving because the mrs wants out. Surely he could have foreseen such circumstances. And if he wants to be an AFL coach, then you just cant cherry pick you way into only being in Vic sides. And why was there interest from Vic sides? Pretty unprofessional I would have thought for teams to be approaching him barely into his tenure. I don't know, the entire situation just reeks of unprofessional-ism in my books.

Further to my earlier comments, despite being a public figure because of the sport he played and now coaches, he doesn't have to divulge the "personal reasons" for his return to Victoria, however it will undoubtedly come out at some point in the future as it is widely known in media and club circles. Rather than assuming "he could have foreseen such circumstances" why not think about unforeseen circumstances that have occurred that would make you break a contract if you were in that situation, albeit one I agree we both don't know in its entirety.

Further to my earlier comments, despite being a public figure because of the sport he played and now coaches, he doesn't have to divulge the "personal reasons" for his return to Victoria, however it will undoubtedly come out at some point in the future as it is widely known in media and club circles. Rather than assuming "he could have foreseen such circumstances" why not think about unforeseen circumstances that have occurred that would make you break a contract if you were in that situation, albeit one I agree we both don't know in its entirety.
Article today says his missus needed out now.

Wish Sam all the best. Thanks for being part of this year, and helping our midfield reach new levels.

Family first. If he wants to go back home, no dramas. Hes got to do what he feels is right for him and his family and kids. Im sure the Eagles and him will have some sort of agreement in place on how to renegotiate the contact.

Thanks for your services Sam.

Despite the fact i agree with what you're saying, this is still purely speculation.

I doubt we'll ever get a clear answer.

Wish Sam all the best. Thanks for being part of this year, and helping our midfield reach new levels.

Family first. If he wants to go back home, no dramas. Hes got to do what he feels is right for him and his family and kids. Im sure the Eagles and him will have some sort of agreement in place on how to renegotiate the contact.

Thanks for your services Sam.
Best post so far on this topic.
Very disappointing to lose Sam but I am sure he has been good for the club. Has always been a family first
man and deserves respect for that. Thanks Sam and good luck in whatever the future holds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back