Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

the expectation from the media towards end of last season and pre season that Hawks are a chance to play finals this year has sort of put that pressure on the players and have been trying to deal with it.

Did anyone seriously think we were a chance for finals this year? I know it's easy to say now but I honestly only had us down for a couple of more wins at most this year with perhaps next year being a 50/50 chance for finals.

Did anyone seriously think we were a chance for finals this year? I know it's easy to say now but I honestly only had us down for a couple of more wins at most this year with perhaps next year being a 50/50 chance for finals.
Yes. But Day was out and Lewis & Breust were playing injured. On top of that we have had a drop in performance across the board rather than at least a similar output.

I thought there would be some incremental improvement. For me that meant no floggings and 8 or 9 wins for the year.
I won't concede defeat yet on the wins because with some improved confidence it remains possible.

This is coming from someone close to Nash. The players are all on board and buying in, but the expectation from the media towards end of last season and pre season that Hawks are a chance to play finals this year has sort of put that pressure on the players and have been trying to deal with it. They believe that trying too hard has impacted their performance and confidence. I think this makes sense given there were no expectations or pressure for some time.

We always seem to lose our bundle in games where we are a genuine 50/50 and seem to do well in games where we have no hope at all.

Really the only games we've performed well in have been as overwhelming outsiders or overwhelming favourites.

Need to be mentally stronger going forward and deal with expectations.

A champion data deep dive via Fox Footy

HAWTHORN

Strength

While there’s been a drop off in the midfield — not helped by Will Day’s delayed start to the season — the Hawks’ post clearance numbers have been the best in the competition. Hawthorn ranks second in post clearance contested possessions (+6.7) and first in post clearance groundballs (+9.9). Now if they can just have the same intensity in the initial contest.

Weakness

Punishing the opposition is so important in the modern game — an area Hawthorn is struggling badly in. he Hawks are ranked 18th in score per inside 50 percentage and 17th in both chain to score percentage and shot at goal accuracy percentage. Granted, they’ve been hit harder than most by injuries, but it’s clear where things have broken down amid the club’s underwhelming 1-6 start to 2024.

Tactical changes from last year

The Hawks are playing much safer and predictable to last year. Sam Mitchell’s side ranked fifth in corridor use from defensive 50 percentage last year but are 14th in the same area. While it may seem like a simple fix, it’s hard to move the ball fast when you’re constantly pressure and playing the game predominantly in your back half.

Health check

60 games lost to injury (4th-most)

Yep - me too.

I’m more interested in us being more competitive in games. Actual wins (which would be great) and ladder finish are secondary.

However - I thought, and still do think, we could end up with 8 or 9 wins. Without anywhere near our strongest lineup available, it really tough ATM.

A champion data deep dive via Fox Footy

HAWTHORN

Strength

While there’s been a drop off in the midfield — not helped by Will Day’s delayed start to the season — the Hawks’ post clearance numbers have been the best in the competition. Hawthorn ranks second in post clearance contested possessions (+6.7) and first in post clearance groundballs (+9.9). Now if they can just have the same intensity in the initial contest.

Weakness

Punishing the opposition is so important in the modern game — an area Hawthorn is struggling badly in. he Hawks are ranked 18th in score per inside 50 percentage and 17th in both chain to score percentage and shot at goal accuracy percentage. Granted, they’ve been hit harder than most by injuries, but it’s clear where things have broken down amid the club’s underwhelming 1-6 start to 2024.

The Hawks are playing much safer and predictable to last year. Sam Mitchell’s side ranked fifth in corridor use from defensive 50 percentage last year but are 14th in the same area. While it may seem like a simple fix, it’s hard to move the ball fast when you’re constantly pressure and playing the game predominantly in your back half.

Health check

60 games lost to injury (4th-most)
I’m thinking when we win a clearance, we are then winning a contested possession or ground ball …..because that clearance hasn’t resulted in clear ball retention by us - ie. we haven’t hit a target to start a clean offensive chain?

Could that be a trend?

I’m thinking when we win a clearance, we are then winning a contested possession or ground ball …..because that clearance hasn’t resulted in clear ball retention by us - ie. we haven’t hit a target to start a clean offensive chain?

Could that be a trend?
Yeah I think our contest numbers are skewed by how much we fumble the ball and have to contest it again, but I also think that if we can keep Day, Newk, Worpel and Nash fit for the remainder of the year that the midfield will start to give our forwards a much better look.

We’re still 6th in the comp for Marks inside 50 per entry, and it might surprise many to know that we’re also 6th in the comp for Inside 50’s.

Combine that with how we’re rated for transition footy, and our midfield being beaten most weeks it actually has me excited about what we might be able to do once we start to gel and work together in the middle.

We’re still 6th in the comp for Marks inside 50 per entry, and it might surprise many to know that we’re also 6th in the comp for Inside 50’s.

Combine that with how we’re rated for transition footy, and our midfield being beaten most weeks it actually has me excited about what we might be able to do once we start to gel and work together in the middle.
Certainly some positives but i will be more excited if/when we lift our defensive capabilities while still maintaining the transition edge. I think some of our stats above are driven by a decline in our ability to pressure and defend. Its hard to play through the corridor when rebounding from defence if you are winning the ball back from deep entries. Much easier if you win the ball back in the middle or at half back. Get the defence right and i think we will turn it around.

Some of this is a tactical change with Mitchell saying we wanted to add more defensive elements to our game this year, growth pains. Hasn't quite came together yet and players are caught out of position or in two minds.

Is it too optimistic to say that at least all our injuries/suspension are giving us a chance to at least see where our next tier of players sit and get some more games into the younger guys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it too optimistic to say that at least all our injuries/suspension are giving us a chance to at least see where our next tier of players sit and get some more games into the younger guys?
Definitely means that we have asked a few questions of different players, but it’s hard to tell whether the answers mean too much, or if any weakness or inability to take the reigns means that they never will be able to, or if they’re just not ready yet.

I don't think if this is driven from Mitchell, but someone at the club is clearly making a conscious effort to reconnect with and honour our previous players. I saw we gave Derm a jumper he was very happy with, then the buddy thing, and now the indigenous jumper and honouring Bateman. All of these have done very tastefully and whoever is driving this deserves a lot of credit!

I don't think if this is driven from Mitchell, but someone at the club is clearly making a conscious effort to reconnect with and honour our previous players. I saw we gave Derm a jumper he was very happy with, then the buddy thing, and now the indigenous jumper and honouring Bateman. All of these have done very tastefully and whoever is driving this deserves a lot of credit!
Mitchell has had a big say in opening the club back up to past players and reconnecting with clubmen, and also talking to the media a lot more.

I was thinking the same hopefully we are working towards bringing Rioli back also.

We had such a blessed run with injuries last year it probably hid a lot of the missing elements on our team.

Now this year we are copping a more normal injury load (even slightly higher than normal) it is really showing the lack of depth in the squad (especially KPPs).

Really pretty much everything that could gone wrong has gone wrong this year with regards to copping injuries to vital players eight in the middle of the toughest part of the draw.

But in saying that, you can't plan on having basically zero injury list like we did in 2023. We need to get a lot more depth into our squad and I think we should be targeting some 25+ mature Free Agents at the end of the year.

It's Sam.

Andy Gowers also
Yeah, this is true. I remember Gowers was on a podcast explaining about when he was pretty much told to find a new home and he left Hawthorn for the Lions. He felt like he was unloved until Ian Dicker got in contact with him years later and brought him back into the fold.
He said that he really appreciated that and I think this is something that he’s been wanting to do with other ex-players.

Yes, worth checking out the chance Bateman video that came out last night too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back