Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I watched and enjoyed the video.

I think there may be a clue to an issue or two at the club in it as well.

Maybe, just maybe the younger guys are over 'when I played for Hawthorn' from Sam.

When Sam addressed the group at the 20.00 mark - have a look at a couple of the blokes in the front row.

They really didn't seem all that engaged.

It's great to use info from your past, especially when you were as good as Sam, but with Gunston, Breust, Hale, Roughead, Young etc etc all still around the club now, maybe Sams gone to the well too many times?

Some of the guys were very young when they played, so the significance will be drastically reduced to them.

I looked at the group being addressed, and it seemed a few were disinterested.
I watched and enjoyed the video.

I think there may be a clue to an issue or two at the club in it as well.

Maybe, just maybe the younger guys are over 'when I played for Hawthorn' from Sam.

When Sam addressed the group at the 20.00 mark - have a look at a couple of the blokes in the front row.

They really didn't seem all that engaged.

It's great to use info from your past, especially when you were as good as Sam, but with Gunston, Breust, Hale, Roughead, Young etc etc all still around the club now, maybe Sams gone to the well too many times?

Some of the guys were very young when they played, so the significance will be drastically reduced to them.

I looked at the group being addressed, and it seemed a few were disinterested.
Sam Mitchell in his prime

1714928438530.png

Apologies if already covered:

We’ve lost to 4 of the top 5 plus Collingwood.

Competitive vs 2 of the top 5 and prob should’ve beaten one of them.

Lost to collingwood by 5 points.

W injuries to 4-5 of our key players.

As a developing list we’re doing ok.

Given we seem to have found a ruckman and key position forward, Watson returning too, the season should only get better from here.

If we can settle a few more positions and get more consistency from the mids, we will do better than 2023.

Very interesting insight.

View attachment 1980638
This all starts because of the level of pressure we put them under at the stoppages. This pressure led to many turnovers between the arcs (instead of deep).

Day being back meant we could split up nash and worpel so we were not so slow and clumsy. I dont have the stats but my bet is that this is the lowest pairing of those two players all year.

The other thing that helped was that we didnt concede intercept marks in our front half. We dragged jones away from the contest which helped us compete better for the ball.

I cant recall a disparity between turnovers like we say in this game. 48 turnovers to 68 is massive! We also won the tackle count 72 to 59.

This is very interesting listen on our strength and what CD are saying is our signature, which is groundball gets.

From the 37:14 mark.

That pod had me go look at some things.

In the last 5 games we are :

3rd in the comp for Contested Possesion differential(behind Carlton and Brisbane).

4th in the comp for Intercept Possession differential(Coll, Geel, Giants)

1st in the comp for Groundball gets differential as they stated. The 6th best side in this metric after 8 rounds since CD started.

This is very interesting listen on our strength and what CD are saying is our signature, which is groundball gets.

From the 37:14 mark.

That, our speed of ball movement, and our ability to transition D50 to F50.

We’re putting together a set of these strengths that have historically been markers of premiership (or at least top 4) teams.

It doesn’t feel like we’re that far off once we can put it altogether more consistently (should come with experience) and a bit of luck in known problem areas (KPP availability and maybe some x-factor/burst speed from clearances)

That, our speed of ball movement, and our ability to transition D50 to F50.

We’re putting together a set of these strengths that have historically been markers of premiership (or at least top 4) teams.

It doesn’t feel like we’re that far off once we can put it altogether more consistently (should come with experience) and a bit of luck in known problem areas (KPP availability and maybe some x-factor/burst speed from clearances)
So to summarise some internal growth and some better players playing? Couldn’t agree more!😉 good to see though some important metrics trending in the right direction I feel like it will all come together in 2 years and then the AFL will change the rules…

I thought he coached the best he has this season. For a multitude of reasons, we just haven't played how he wants us to this season. But we saw it on Sunday. We were able to break down the Bulldogs defensive structure, get that run off halfback, and apply greater pressure. Our midfield still wasn't great. But Sam got our defensive structure just right.

I thought he coached the best he has this season. For a multitude of reasons, we just haven't played how he wants us to this season. But we saw it on Sunday. We were able to break down the Bulldogs defensive structure, get that run off halfback, and apply greater pressure. Our midfield still wasn't great. But Sam got our defensive structure just right.
Probably helped getting to see how they want to play in those 2 preseason games. We weren't really able to get our game going in those 2 games so they missed out on the insights.

Rope-a-dope is back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very good listen on just what we are doing well, and how the coaching is tracking.

From the 23:05 min mark.

That is actually amazing and if we can get our stoppage game back to where it was last year, massive potential there. I love this kind of analysis as it's not your normal stats that get wheeled out on TV and isn't immediately obvious to the eye, but shows we are doing things right

Lid had been put back on with the way things had gone this year, but now back to LID OFF!

We were 16th of the comp last year at being able to defend ball movement, this year we are 3rd!

Yet we have conceded the second highest mumber of points against YTD.
Sure it looks like improvement but the ladder says otherwise.

Dare say we'd be conceding close to the highest amount of points on turnover and from clearance.

I thought defending the ground was a massive issue for us last year so it's terrific that we've taken such a significant step in a short space of time, it's really noticeable when you're at the ground.

We’ve also played 3 of the top 4 teams, while some teams have maybe played 1.

We’ve also played 3 of the top 4 teams, while some teams have maybe played 1.
I was going to add it's also 4 of the top 5 if you include Essendon, but I can see why you wouldn't. They've had such a soft draw. They have only played two top 8 sides so far and haven't got close. And even a few of their wins against bottom sides haven't been that convincing.

We really should have beaten them.

I was going to add it's also 4 of the top 5 if you include Essendon, but I can see why you wouldn't. They've had such a soft draw. They have only played two top 8 sides so far and haven't got close. And even a few of their wins against bottom sides haven't been that convincing.

We really should have beaten them.
West Coast too if it wasn't for Cripps' brainfade!

We kick straighter, Cripps doesn't have that brain fade and Mihocek doesn't kick like pre-schooler and they're sitting 3-5 and not much better than us.

West Coast too if it wasn't for Cripps' brainfade!

We kick straighter, Cripps doesn't have that brain fade and Mihocek doesn't kick like pre-schooler and they're sitting 3-5 and not much better than us.
Conversely, we kick straighter against Essendon and Macdonald slots that last kick against Collingwood and we're sitting 4-4. Footy can be a fickle game!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back