Roast SCG Camera Angles for Set Shots at goal (Foxtel Coverage)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
Don't know about you, but i definitely was not a fan of the camera angle that was used for shots at goal to the Randwick end of the SCG. To me this angle was too far out and obviously had to rely on the crowds reaction to have any indication if the ball was going through the big sticks.

ScreenShot2014-04-20at22620pm.png

I definitely feel that the best angle is behind the kicker to give the viewer the best indication of the set shot.

I hope this won't be a permanent thing at the SCG.

When you are watching on your phone it is absolutely useless. I guess it's because they want to use that unnecessary circle / triangle computer graphic. Maybe if they switched to a closer view as the ball approached the goal it wouldn't suck as bad.

Yeah this was a bloody pain in the arse. The camerawork was s**t all night though, not just the set shots. I also found it really difficult to track the ball against the crowd when the sun was setting

Not just the set-shot camera angles, the camera angle for normal play has always been utter crap too. It is far too low and the viewer loses the sense of depth for the play. The angle is the worst of the main stadiums and does not make for good tv, let alone growing the game in Sydney.

One improvement is the audio which they fixed about 3-4 years ago. There used to be a constant 'clappy-clacking' audio noise that occurred throughout games in the past. It sounded like hard plastic clacking in the wind against a hard surface, and it drove me nuts for years before they finally fixed it.

One day they will get their s*** together and fix the camera angle too.

As someone who's never been to the SCG, can someone tell me why this is the case?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back