Scott Morrison - How Long? Part 5 - The stroll out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morrison ran without a record in 2019.

Labor ran with an enormous change agenda and a raft of policies that were misrepresented.

they were treated like a government and Morrison as a fresh face.
Yes- these are important points. And nobody liked shorten. People don’t love Albo, but they don’t actively dislike him, as they did shorten.

Do people like Scomo ?
It’s a good question isn’t it? I think fewer people like him now than did at the previous election. I suspect plenty thought he was an ok bloke in 2019- hard to see him having the approval of a lot of the people on the fence now. He hasn’t done anything good and his govt has had numerous very questionable incidents, even obvious to those not very interested I’d have thought. And the vaccine slowness is squarely at his feet and everyone knows that? I’m pretty sure he is on the nose to lots of people from different walks, and Albo has done nothing to offend -it might be just enough for labour to get over the line. But I don’t like to underestimate the stupidity of people. ;)

Saying the only party that stands on a platform of cleaning up corruption, serious donations reform, and proposes the toughest federal ICAC of any party is "just as bad as the others; they just haven't been corrupted by power yet" is lazy horseschitte unless you can provide proof.

That is not what I said, is it?

But since you raised it, simple logic tells me that making promises about what you're gonna do if you get ultimate power, knowing you will never have to deliver on those promises, makes those promises hollow - which describes much of the Greens platform. And a complete contrast to the promises made by, say, the Shorten Opposition, in the last Federal election which were seen as a real threat by government supporters because they had a chance of implementation.

Sadly for good government the result of that last election means we may never see another election where such a comprehensively researched policy platform for change is exposed to the electorate before an election by a party with an actual chance of forming government.

The 'lazy horseschitte' comes from believing the promises of a pauper in telling you they will give you half of their riches if they ever win the Lotto, as the death of the Democrats and the implementation of the GST showed us all many years ago. But hey, no-one can dispute that 'Keeping the Bastards Honest' was a great slogan:cool:

Last edited:
Do people like Scomo ?

no but he didn’t have the same level of exposure as Shorten in 2019.

Bill was (perhaps unfairly) associated with the Rudd/Gillard conflict and had been leader since 2013.

Morrison had somehow maintained a subterranean level profile despite having been “on water matters” guy and treasurer.
he was somehow portrayed as leading a new govt.

no but he didn’t have the same level of exposure as Shorten in 2019.

Bill was (perhaps unfairly) associated with the Rudd/Gillard conflict and had been leader since 2013.

Morrison had somehow maintained a subterranean level profile despite having been “on water matters” guy and treasurer.
he was somehow portrayed as leading a new govt.
Imo a dull a technocrat like Bill Shorten with his platform would have been really good for Australia.

That is not what I said, is it?

But since you raised it, simple logic tells me that making promises about what you're gonna do if you get ultimate power, knowing you will never have to deliver on those promises, makes those promises hollow - which describes much of the Greens platform. And a complete contrast to the promises made by, say, the Shorten Opposition, in the last Federal election which were seen as a real threat by government supporters because they had a chance of implementation.

Sadly for good government the result of that last election means we may never see another election where such a comprehensively researched policy platform for change is exposed to the electorate before an election by a party with an actual chance of forming government.

The 'lazy horseschitte' comes from believing the promises of a pauper in telling you they will give you half of their riches if they ever win the Lotto, as the death of the Democrats and the implementation of the GST showed us all many years ago. But hey, no-one can dispute that 'Keeping the Bastards Honest' was a great slogan:cool:
Well, yes it is what you said, maybe not those exact words. The Greens are just another bunch of politicians was what you were implying.

Your jaundice is showing. Call me naive but with the lamentable crookedness of federal politics at present I'll vote for the only party that promises to actually clean it up.

Labor have had decades to show they're the real deal. Every unfounded supposition you've made about the Greens could very easily be redirected at Labor, the party that hopes that by being Coalition-lite, no-one will notice they'll be able to just fall into power and then maybe start to do some of the things voters are crying out for. If they get in, I'll be ecstatic, but it's pretty lame stuff, you have to admit.

The Greens are just another bunch of politicians was what you were implying.

Well, actually by definition that is exactly what they are.

I'll vote for the only party that promises to actually clean it up.

Like I said, promises are cheap. Especially if you have zero chance of actually having to delivering on them. Which is exactly where the Greens sit. They have just 1 of 151 seats in the House of Representatives, the same as Bob Katter and probably less effective.

Every unfounded supposition you've made about the Greens could very easily be redirected at Labor

First of all my comments about the Greens are not unfounded suppositions but statements of fact. For example scandals involving candidates Joanna Nilson, Angus McAlpine and Lidia Thorpe saw the Greens lose half (4/8) of their seats in Victorian Parliament in the 2019 election. It led to the Victorian Greens introducing a new probity process for the vetting of candidates. Feel free to do your own research on the issue.

And Bob Brown's arrogant march to Adani in the lead up to the last Federal election was widely recognised as playing a key role in galvanising National Party support behind the Government retaining key national seats. It simply took votes away from the ALP and delivered them to the Coalition.

Second, the point of my comments was to repel the suggestion made by another poster that 'the greens and independents like Lambie can be trusted'. A claim you are supporting, at least as far as the Greens are concerned. It is blatant nonsense as my examples show.

I am not party aligned but have a distaste for honesty in power wherever it shows itself. And the current Federal Government under Morrison is an utter disgrace. They need to be removed.

You say you will vote for the Greens because they are 'the only party that promises to actually clean it up.'

Sadly, the Greens will NEVER have a chance to act on that promise because they will NEVER have the seats in the House of Representatives to deliver that change, at least in the next election cycle.

So sadly your vote, if it is to the Greens and in the hope of 'cleaning it up', will be wasted.

Pity.

Last edited:
So sadly your vote, if it is to the Greens and in the hope of 'cleaning it up', will be wasted.
In which level of government in our system is a vote wasted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me introduce you to my little friend, 'context'.
Greens get money for votes. Happy to sling em a dollar. Prefs go to Labor anyway.

Where is the waste?

The anti-green people have had it drummed into them by newscorp and co for years.

Hopefully that will change as the boomers die off.

This 2 party system where both major parties are to the right of centre is ******* awful.

Actually my posts weren't anti-Green. Just using some facts in direct response to the romantic view that the Greens are above politics and the only honest politicians on the block. Simply untrue. But of course - 'OK Boomer'.

As for the 2 party system. 'Hotelling's Law' is worth a look if you really want to understand why is it so.

Actually my posts weren't anti-Green. Just using some facts in direct response to the romantic view that the Greens are above politics and the only honest politicians on the block. Simply untrue. But of course - 'OK Boomer'.

As for the 2 party system. 'Hotelling's Law' is worth a look if you really want to understand why is it so.
Compared to the two major parties they are.

Well, actually by definition that is exactly what they are.

Like I said, promises are cheap. Especially if you have zero chance of actually having to delivering on them. Which is exactly where the Greens sit. They have just 1 of 151 seats in the House of Representatives, the same as Bob Katter and probably less effective.

First of all my comments about the Greens are not unfounded suppositions but statements of fact. For example scandals involving candidates Joanna Nilson, Angus McAlpine and Lidia Thorpe saw the Greens lose half (4/8) of their seats in Victorian Parliament in the 2019 election. It led to the Victorian Greens introducing a new probity process for the vetting of candidates. Feel free to do your own research on the issue.

And Bob Brown's arrogant march to Adani in the lead up to the last Federal election was widely recognised as playing a key role in galvanising National Party support behind the Government retaining key national seats. It simply took votes away from the ALP and delivered them to the Coalition.

Second, the point of my comments was to repel the suggestion made by another poster that 'the greens and independents like Lambie can be trusted'. A claim you are supporting, at least as far as the Greens are concerned. It is blatant nonsense as my examples show.

I am not party aligned but have a distaste for honesty in power wherever it shows itself. And the current Federal Government under Morrison is an utter disgrace. They need to be removed.

You say you will vote for the Greens because they are 'the only party that promises to actually clean it up.'

Sadly, the Greens will NEVER have a chance to act on that promise because they will NEVER have the seats in the House of Representatives to deliver that change, at least in the next election cycle.

Pity.
Pretty weak stuff. The Greens are as corrupt as the loathsome Coalition because, um, Bob Brown led a convoy through Queensland? OK.

And the rest of your argument is the same old circular don't-vote-for-the Greens-because-nobody-votes-for-the-Greens-because-everybody-says-don't-vote-for-the-Greens-because-nobody-votes-for-the-Greens that we've been hearing for years.

Of course you can say "promises are cheap" if you're never going to vote for the people making them. Well duh.

Look, we both want the Coalition kicked out of office till the end of time. Labor have had yonks to get their act together on donations reform, on ICAC, on so many questions of transparency and accountability, and they've done bugger all.

No, we're not going to see a Greens-led government any time soon. But a Labor minority government answerable to the Greens and independents holding the balance of power is exactly what this country needs right now.

I'm sorry, this argument is rubbish.

You are, in essence, saying that a party which has currently no chance of holding government shouldn't have a policy platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back