Autopsy Season 2021 review

Remove this Banner Ad

On my way to Yoga this morning saw Jarrod Berry crossing Main street on his way to the Gabba(Maybe an exit interview), he didn't quite look like a hobo but I'll say this he was extremely casually dressed.

On my way to Yoga this morning saw Jarrod Berry crossing Main street on his way to the Gabba(Maybe an exit interview), he didn't quite look like a hobo but I'll say this he was extremely casually dressed.
Excellent, he's gone native.

Yeah, I’ve seen quite a few of the boys around the Gabba at various times, and almost always dressed in board shorts or casual shorts, t shirt or singlet and thongs.

A little left field but I think we need to be a little less emotional as a team. It has been an important ingredient to get to this point but looking at how close the playing group is, the injuries for Zpopular players especially Rayner and Hipwood seemed to really rattle their confidence.

It will be a good area of development to maintain that emotional state but also have the ability to be ruthless regardless of what has happened.

My view of our last game, and what gives me great confidence for next year, is that our best play (75% of the game )was a lot better than their best, but our worst (10%) was a lot worse than theirs. That means improving those small areas will make us much better overall

We might have gone out in straight sets, but we still had a much better finals campaign than Geelong.

We we ****ed by our in game injuries as much as we were out individual performance each game.

If Berry and Payne didn't get hurt, I doubt we'd have lost. Berry was playing very well and Payne was crashing packs. Once Berry went down we lost an important midfield rotation against the deepest midfield in the comp and Joe was double teamed.

Obviously its easy to speculate, but truly believe we'd be playing tonight if they didn't get hurt.

We we f’ed by our in game injuries as much as we were out individual performance each game.

If Berry and Payne didn't get hurt, I doubt we'd have lost. Berry was playing very well and Payne was crashing packs. Once Berry went down we lost an important midfield rotation against the deepest midfield in the comp and Joe was double teamed.

Obviously its easy to speculate, but truly believe we'd be playing tonight if they didn't get hurt.

you said, "we we"

We we f’ed by our in game injuries as much as we were out individual performance each game.

Yeah I was going to mention the injuries. The dogs did lose Weightman. Anyway, watching this game tonight makes it so much worse.

Yeah I was going to mention the injuries. The dogs did lose Weightman. Anyway, watching this game tonight makes it so much worse.
Thought we were a good chance of beating Port, and harder to watch last nights game after that performance last night from Port. I thought we matched up well against Port but unfortunately a couple of injuries and a bounce of a ball and a dubious umpire call and we were denied the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in a way we reaped what we sowed. I think our recruiting dictated our selections. We recruited Joe to play power forward and second ruck and we ended up having to select another ruckman in Fullarton to ruck for Joe because he wasn't up to it. This one selection problem unbalanced our whole team. If Joe had been interested is rucking it would have meant we could play a better ground level player(Lil Berry, Matho, McFadyen) in place of Fullarton. No slight on Fullarton but he's just not ready. Our lack of a competitive second ruck meant that our center bounce on ballers faded from the game and we lost all drive from the center. It also meant that we couldn't rest Big O in the pocket and ruck our second ruck without giving away all our drive and momentum.

That's just one part of the problem.

The other is Joes average performance in taking on and beating his opponent. Let's face it, throughout last nights game our best.....and only marking target was a 176cm player in Linc. That can't work. How are we going to kick winning scores when your 200 cm power forwards only avenue to goal is a goal square kick off the ground. We've got Charlie and Linc for that.

So basically we bought a lemon, and because we bought him we have to play him.

Just a final point on Joe. Last night Payne and later Andrews looked way more dangerous than Joe in 5 minutes of football. Oh and just one more final point. Imagine the war chest we would have had to throw at Luke Parker if we weren't spendind a fortune on a 200cm goal sneak.

Next.

Basically our list is blessed with extraordinary talent and ability. We have talls. Payne, Andrews, Adams, Ballenden, Fullarton, Smith, Smith Hippy, McStay, Joe.

And next year we'll have a formidable ruck Duo of Big O and Kalin Lane, with the possibility that Fullarton or Ballenden coming on. Plus the idea that I'd like to see of Jack Payne being a ruck forward.

We've also got the luxury of having emerging players like McFadyen and Joyce that we really haven't seen.

We've got wingers in Sharp and Prior to come in when the time comes.

Plus we're yet to see the best of Zac Bailey.

We've got the 3 of the fastest backmen in the league with Answerth, Coleman and Madden.

We've also got returning injured stars as well.

I think the future is bright.

Parker was never coming to Brisbane. People who dump on Joey seem to always forget that he hasn't played really at all the previous 3 years. He's still finding his groove. People need to lay off Joey for at least another year.

Parker was never coming to Brisbane. People who dump on Joey seem to always forget that he hasn't played really at all the previous 3 years. He's still finding his groove. People need to lay off Joey for at least another year.

That’s the thing with Joey. It’s his first full season for a long time. He is only going to improve again next year.

Plus Cockatoo realistically always tracked as a 2022 type.

If we regain Rayner and Hipwood(later) as well as get Neale and Andrews fully fit, then I am very excited for what we can achieve next year.

Jackess, got any evidence that our inside 50s are shallow in certain games?

Who collects stats on that?.

Certainly, sometimes our inside 50s seem haphazard and a few years ago (when we could go to some games) our forwards didn't lead up when it was obvious that there was plenty of space. We were Charlie centric then, probably too so.

I didn't think that Dan and Hippy were natural forwards but last year Hippy got serious at attacking the ball and late this year Dan looked awesome.

I did sit with Zorks at a function and he said that there is a lot of emphasis on forwards being defensive when we don't have the ball. If Dan continues his form and Hippy comes back we are well situated up forward.

Several of our players improved this year which is the best thing to come out of the season.

Going off Footywire for average tackle stats for this year:

Lincoln McCarthy: 3.3 per game
Daniel McStay: 3.0 per game
Charlie Cameron: 2.2 per game
Eric Hipwood: 1.2 per game
Tom Fullarton: 1.8 per game
Joe Daniher: 1.0 per game

Edit: Forward defense is not just about tackles but does give an indication of who is applying pressure.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. Linc faded badly in his first year as a result of not having played a full season for years (if ever) and to some degree Joe faded as well - just lacked that hard edge of season by season fitness. He was also badly compromised by the loss of Hippy and then McStay...we need to cut him some slack.

At the start of the season what were your expectations of Daniher? Considering his lack of football over the past couple of seasons, I would of been content with 15-16 games and 30+ goals. I think he has more than earnt his wages this year. While the media was quick to jump all over him when he faded during the finals, but he went from being one of 2/3 key Fwds to the only key Fwd, and that's a big ask for anyone.
I was also very hesitant on him pinch hitting in ruck (injury), but if anything it got him more involved in the game. He even had most number of bounces of all Lions players (equal with Charlie).

But do I dare to dream that next year he will be good for 50+ goals?

I wasn't expecting Daniher to play as many games as he did so that is a big tick to know his body is in good condition. A times I thought there was good chemistry between the forwards (shame that Hipwood went down) so I think he will fit in no problems. He seems to bring a good vibe to the group.

I wasn't expecting him to ruck so not surprised that wasn't a great success. Will be interesting to see what happens there. If come the end of the trade/draft period and no change to personnel in that area then perhaps ruck lessons could be high on the agenda for a couple of forwards ie Joe, Tom and Jack.

I thought he would have been stronger in the aerial contests. Whilst not terrible I can see some improvement there which could greatly impact games.

Daniher to me has never been known as a great defensive pressure forward so that is something that Joe will need to work through. Capable - yes.

He is a very good field kick so next year I am hoping to see some top line field kicking.

His kicking for goal was actually better than I thought. Still frustrating at times ie miss the easy one but kick the miracle goal 5 minutes later.

All in all I am expecting a better year from Joe next year as I know he can go to another level.

On the Midweek Rub, Leigh Montagna asked his fellow panelists, "who was the most disappointing team in this finals series?".

With poor performances produced by Port Adelaide (prelim), Geelong (prelim) and Brisbane (out in straights sets) the September finals had various losing margins across the board.

"I don't think Brisbane, because they just got beaten and probably should've won that game." Carey said.

Duck posed that both Port Adelaide and Geelong losing in straight sets was "terrible", however Port were perfectly placed to advance.

"They had everything their way, sleeping in their own beds .. and Geelong, well they didn't have those same liberties."

It has been reported that 8 x Power players are going in for post season surgery...anyone know if we have players booked for surgery?

It has been reported that 8 x Power players are going in for post season surgery...anyone know if we have players booked for surgery?

There was a post season injury wrap on the lions website but it was pretty vague IIRC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back