Season defining five round block

Where will the Crows sit after these five games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No such thing as "played finals too early". Freos issue was their side got gutted with players leaving.
They loss 3 players in their best 22 and added 2 in Jackson and JOM. Their core group was still very young last year when they made the finals and all have gone backward beside Serong.

They loss 3 players in their best 22 and added 2 in Jackson and JOM. Their core group was still very young last year when they made the finals and all have gone backward beside Serong.
3 players? 6 by my count.

Lobb, Mundy, Tucker, Meek, Acres, Logue. Actually call it 5. Meek barely played, but was the next in line Ruckman.

Having said that, David Mundy was like 3 players, at least he was every time he played the Crows.

Realistically, we'll probably win 2-3 of the next 5, which puts us in a nice position heading to the halfway point of the season

I agree.

I remember Bassett saying when he was coaching Norwood that it's not just how you go in difficult run of games but how you come out the other side.

I think there is alot of truth to that in this run of five games for us. If we got 2-3 or even 1-4 and still look energetic and play with confidence at the end we should be okay. If we look tired and lack some spark the season could drift a bit.

Logue and Lobbe were big losses, in particular. After all, that's a key part of the spine. Add in Mundy too who was class.

Especially with Freos struggles with developing talls.

I reckon Collingwood are vulnerable this week after their Anzac Day game and 5 day break - win for Crows
Geelong - Loss
I rate St Kilda this year - Loss at home
I don't think the Bully's are traveling that well, win over at Ballarat
And I generally don't think Brisbane travel well - win at home

So 3/5 is my guess

I reckon Collingwood are vulnerable this week after their Anzac Day game and 5 day break - win for Crows
Geelong - Loss
I rate St Kilda this year - Loss at home
I don't think the Bully's are traveling that well, win over at Ballarat
And I generally don't think Brisbane travel well - win at home

So 3/5 is my guess
When was the last time we won in Geelong?

2003 or something like that?

Geelong is an automatic loss, if we win 2 out of the other 4 I'd be happy. If we win more than 2 then i'd put us down as likely to play finals.

Well maybe you guys are right, I guess I'm just confident we have a team that can compete now and I'm not completely convinced Geelong are the same team they were just yet. Anyway let's take it one game at a time, Collingwood will be a huge game this week. Win this one and the lid is officially off!

I don’t disagree with what you say - last year I was there and we got within 9 points during the third quarter and we are a better side this year than we were last year so the only reason I don’t have a great deal of confidence is our historical record there.

Now for comparison with last years game - Hawkins kicked 2, Cameron 4 and Stengle 3 whilst Fogarty kicked 3, Walker didn’t play, neither did Rachele and obviously Rankine. We had Crouch, Rowe, Hateley and Luke Brown (totally cooked) in the side. We are certainly better and they don’t have Selwood or Stengle but will have Dangerfield. We had 20 shots they had 22.

It is an intriguing game and if we do win Sunday then it will be the biggest test since 2017.

Now I’m getting to the stage I’ve nearly convinced myself we can win. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 players? 6 by my count.

Lobb, Mundy, Tucker, Meek, Acres, Logue. Actually call it 5. Meek barely played, but was the next in line Ruckman.

Having said that, David Mundy was like 3 players, at least he was every time he played the Crows.

Think people underestimate Mundy’s loss. In a number of games, he literally was the difference between winning and losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's this for a truly optimistic scenario?

Crows 110 d. Coll 50
Port 120 d. StK 70
Mel 90 d. Nth 89
Bris d. Freo by less than 10 goals

Ad 5-2 125.2%
Mel 5-2 125% (or 4-3 if North win)
StK 5-2 121.6%
Bris 5-2 <123% (or 4-3 if Freo win)
Port 5-2 110.0%
CWD 5-2 105.7%

(So I'm bored and I like playing with numbers. OK?)

Last edited:
When was the last time we won in Geelong?

2003 or something like that?
Was it the Roo kicking 2-3 last qtr goals and we won a cliffhanger resulting in Ayres giving the finger to the crusty old Cats fans banging on the coaches window. Gotta love that stuff, the raw emotion. Seeing how much it means to the coaches makes them very relatable in that moment to fans

Logue and Lobbe were big losses, in particular. After all, that's a key part of the spine. Add in Mundy too who was class.

Especially with Freos struggles with developing talls.
They did bring in Jackson to replace Lobbe. Mundy was a big loss to them as he was still performing at a high level when he retired, they probably thought their quality young midfielders would continue their development (beside Serong none have) and also brought in JOM.

I’m particularly keen on the away game against the Cats. It was actually a close encounter had we had our kicking boots on. Here was a summary from an article:

“CROWS TO BEMOAN INEFFICENCY AS CHALLENGE ISSUED

Adelaide’s inefficiency proved costly against the Cats in an area of its game it’ll need to tighten up moving forward.

The Crows had all the play in the first 10 minutes to put the Cats on the back foot. But for all their dominance, Adelaide couldn’t hit the scoreboard, finishing the term with a 0.6 conversion.

Adelaide did so much right on the day, winning contested possessions (163-150) and clearances (51-44), and even looking the better side across key stretches.

But the Crows would undoubtedly be bemoaning their costly woes in front in front of the big sticks, finishing the game 7.13.” (Cats kicked 15.7)

—————
That was pretty much the same kicking conversion in the first 2 rounds this year. If we go at it again this year, with our improved scoring power, a more mature mindset and better (currently) kicking accuracy, I’d say we’re a damn good chance right now to make it a big challenge for the Cats. This is the one game where winning will make a serious statement that we mean business in 2023.

How's this for a truly optimistic scenario?

Crows 110 d. Coll 50
Port 120 d. StK 70
Mel 90 d. Nth 89
Bris d. Freo by less than 10 goals

Ad 5-2 125.2%
Mel 5-2 125% (or 4-3 if North win)
StK 5-2 121.6%
Bris 5-2 <123% (or 4-3 if Freo win)
Port 5-2 110.0%
CWD 5-2 105.7%

(So I'm bored and I like playing with numbers. OK?)
And what are the chances of the Crows finishing this round on top of the ladder? I'm glad you asked. Anyone keen for a shot?

1682599631672.png

Attachments

• 1682599402786.png
    1682599402786.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 36
Back