Selwood: Out (in more than one way)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Selwood gets off!

Just so you know one punch back after you've received the same is never going to be called excessive force. if he kicked him on the ground also it would be or hit him with a chair. One punch for one punch will not be called excessive force.

Yes but there is the kicker, if Selwood slapped him, and Raines hooked him and dropped him, you could argue that Raines used excessive force to stop Selwood especially if it was a little love tap slap. It's all about what's deemed reasonable in the situation.

I think Geelong fans have to realise that people are more frustrated that Raines got weeks and selwood didnt. Not soley on Selwood getting none, but the two cases in one. If they both got off, I'd say we wouldnt be having this conversation right now.

Exactly. Raines getting three while Selwood got none is my main frustration.

no, it isnt.

it is maybe provocation (which is not a defence to assault, but may be a defence at the MRP), but it sure wasnt self defence.

this is ridiculous.

basically an attempt to hang joel out to dry for 1) something out of his control; and 2) his constant 'cheating'.

get over it, people, life is too short.

Provocation would be using words to hurt his feelings, threatening to hurt some one or may be pushing someone but when your punched in the face self defence includes returning fire ion a like manner. This means you can bitch slap the pussy(cat).

This guy is sorry to burst your bubble...

330628-ivan-maric.jpg

Hey mate, didn't burst my bubble . I'm not attacking Selwood i'm genuinely confused as to why some players can throw a punch and get away with it and wasn't aware of the other incident as i did not watch the game.

If it makes you feel any better about your precious Joel i'll rephrase the question:

Why have 2 players been allowed to throw punches and get away with it this week when most other players are judged on "Hit someone with fist/palm in head = x weeks"

People are entitled to hate Selwood for his ducking antics but he has nothing to do with this decision.
MRP tried to hang Lindsay Thomas for an accidental contact and now they've excused Selwood for a deliberate action.
What a ****en joke.
Time for a complete overhaul of MRP's system and personnel.

He's been caught twice. He has done it plenty more times. That and his diving don't make him look like a respectable captain/ example to others.

But hey, according to your supporters you Geelong boys don't care about what outsiders think.

What I find absolutely appalling is not that Selwood got off, or that Raines got 1 week, but this hatred for Joel Selwood. I just cannot understand it, and not because I'm a Cats supporter. You would not get a player who gives his all week in week out, and yet turkeys like you accuse him of being a sniper and unfit to be captain......

This guy is sorry to burst your bubble...

330628-ivan-maric.jpg

I dont know why you keep referring back to Maric, People are peeved off because Raines hit Selwood back and got suspended!Plain and simple! Selwood should have got the same or both should have been cleared.

[youtube]dsgoCjzo2l8[/youtube]

I am surprised you can hit someone in the head behind play and some love taps to the guts can get you weeks. Actually, its the AFL, I am not surprised.

I guess what we don't know is what happened before that incident to make Selwood want to clock Raines in the first place.

Exactly. Raines getting three while Selwood got none is my main frustration.

What ? You can't understand the difference in one hit being a lot more forceful than the other ?

A love tap to the face wouldn't give the recipient the right to break another players jaw would it ??

IMO the MRP got it right.

How can you possibly measure the force that selwood hit raines with and raines hit selwood with? What a joke.. a player falls over and its aumotatically presumed to be more serious.
The instigator should be held accountable anyway

So if Raines went down like a sack of shit then Selwood would've been handed 3 weeks? Selwood is a serial pest when it comes to staging these days. When he ran into Whitecross, Selwood acted like he was dying and 5 minutes later came on with out an issue.

Man up.

Please. He was very groggy from that bump too. Whitecross was correctly cleared from that, but please, don't say he was staging for that. He was obviously stunned, as the footage shows, just like he was on Saturday. If he was staging, why would he stagger and fall over at the next contest as the ball was bouncing over the line?

The same thing happened to Christensen both last week and on Saturday. Was dazed, went off for five minutes, regained his senses and returned to battle.

What ? You can't understand the difference in one hit being a lot more forceful than the other ?

A love tap to the face wouldn't give the recipient the right to break another players jaw would it ??

Agree. I couldn't understand the media vitriol tbh, free kick for too high, nothing else. However, Raines dropped him with clearly more force.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And one punch for one punch/slap no matter the force can't be deemed unreasonable when your defending your self.

Sure it can, if you were to hit me with a slap, then i were to turn around and shatter your jaw and/or knock you out with a swing, I used unreasonable force and would probably be charged with assault occasioning bodily harm.

I speak through personal affiliations with the matter.

Provocation would be using words to hurt his feelings, threatening to hurt some one or may be pushing someone but when your punched in the face self defence includes returning fire ion a like manner. This means you can bitch slap the pussy(cat).

no, self-defence does not mean like for like.

it means you can use necessary, reasonable force to repel an attack. i hardly think raines was in danger of serious bodily harm if he hadnt dropped selwood then and there. the retaliation was not necessary.

next time you spill a guys beer in the pub, and he hits your arm as youre walking away, crack him back and see how self-defence goes in court :rolleyes:

What I find absolutely appalling is not that Selwood got off, or that Raines got 1 week, but this hatred for Joel Selwood. I just cannot understand it, and not because I'm a Cats supporter. You would not get a player who gives his all week in week out, and yet turkeys like you accuse him of being a sniper and unfit to be captain......

Amen to that.

I dont know why you keep referring back to Maric, People are peeved off because Raines hit Selwood back and got suspended!Plain and simple! Selwood should have got the same or both should have been cleared.

Some people refuse to accept that the MRP take each incident on its own merits..

The fact that Raines reacted to what Selwood did has nothing to do with their findings.. So why complain about it?

I don't agree with one being medium impact (and getting three weeks), while the other one is deemed insufficient impact. I would be less frustrated if Raines had gotten one week (before reductions) while Selwood had gotten none, as I'd have thought that makes sense.

So IMO, the MRP got it wrong.

Meh. I said the MRP had lost the plot last week and this afternoon has done nothing to change my mind.

So Selwood gets off when he probably shouldn't have, and Raines gets two more weeks than he probably should have got. You reckon this proves the MRP favor Geelong? Gimme a break. Last week they tried to suspend Steve Johnson for a legal shepherd and an accidental tangle of legs, and Reece Conca got off for a head-high hit on Christensen that should have got weeks, so don't give me that "MRP loves Geelong" crap.

What you have to realize is that the MRP have no idea what they're doing. It's all completely random. Claiming the MRP favors some clubs or players and is harsher on others implies that they have purpose and direction, and they simply don't.

The dislike of selwood is basically because of the perception that he gets an armchair ride from the umpires, basically not his fault, however if he didnt bend the rules for his own advantage, then he would be just about the most admired player in the game. However he does, so he's not.

So the AFL based their decision on the "force" of 2 punches from cameras that are 20 metres away? Last time i checked a Camera won't show you the "force" of any contact unless you see the object it hits break/shatter etc.

The only way they could have determined the "force" of both hits would be from the reaction of both players, or if one had a really big wind up compared to the other (which was not evident).

Are you suggesting because Selwood went to ground and Raines did not that Raines should have got suspended and Selwood should not have?

Or have you got another formula to determine "force"

Jealousy.

If Judd can elbow Pav in the face, causing 4 stiches but it be deemed not enough force, then the love tap that selwood did shouldn't be enough force either. Raines's hit was clearly stronger but probably unlucky in the context of things.

I think they need to have a "retaliation" clause with the MRP findings that down grades the points by half. Therefore Raines gets a sanction rather than a week because Selwood instigated it.

Broken jaw? Stick to the facts will ya? Neither were knock out punches.

An eye for an eye. Either both go. or both get off. Selwood started it & goes scot free? Total BS.

Rugby has this one right. If a player belts another player & gets one back, don't complain cos you asked for it. No penalty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back