Selwood: Out (in more than one way)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Selwood gets off!

Yes, you come under more stupid than biased.

Not shaping up to be such a respectable captain is young glass jaw Selwood.

LOL @ a Melbourne supporter talking about toughness.. Your team has been a soft joke for years.. Maybe we can get another one of your coaches sacked this week?

Have to love people who are blaming Selwood for the mistakes of others. It's not like Selwood blows the whistle everytime he gets a free kick, nor is he part of the Match Review Panel.

Go off at the people who came to the decision you didn't like. Don't focus all your hatred at the player who had nothing to do with the decision making.

The MRP didn't strike Raines off the ball, Selwood did so yes it is his mistake initially.

precedent has been set.

seems like the whole any purposeful head high contact will be suspendable macho bullshit line is thrown out the window, depends how hard it is now. alrighty mrp, cant wait for that all to change again in 2-3 weeks.

Therein lies the problem. Way too inconsistant.

Do I think Selwood should of gotten off? Yes (although not thrown out, definately should of been a reprimand BEFORE the loading) and I think Raines got the correct penalty (1 week. Not the 3, way too harsh just cos of Selwoods glass jaw, which by the way will be getting 1 brownlow vote) but you guys saying Selwood "punched" Raines and Raines "slapped" him back are living in la la land (Richmond to most of us). Selwood slapped him like a girl because he didnt like the niggle, Raines said "screw you man" and gave him a jaw tickler similar to Scarlos punch on the hobbit and Selwood (probably not expecting it and definately not seeing it) dropped like a spud.

Now saying that, I freaking LOVE Selwood as a player but damn he throws his arms around a little too much lately, c'mon man your the captain, pull your head in.

Contact between the Geelong Cats’ Joel Selwood and the Brisbane Lions’ Andrew Raines from the fourth quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. The two players are ahead of the ball and running upfield. Selwood makes high contact to Raines with his left hand. After receiving a medical report from the Brisbane Lions Football Club, it was the view of the panel the force used was below that required to constitute a report. No further action was taken.

Great, so that means they're just suspending people based upon injuries, rather than the actions.

FFS, they even say it was behind the play and he struck him high.

Ridiculous decision.

Can someone point me to the 'crying about Ivan Maric getting off for the same thing' thread???

LOL @ a Melbourne supporter talking about toughness.. Your team has been a soft joke for years.. Maybe we can get another one of your coaches sacked this week?

Is that all you got in defense of Selwood? Deflection if I've ever seen one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ballas gets Chapman in the guts behind play - 2 weeks
Selwood gets Raines in the face behind play - 0 weeks
Scarlett gets Ballas in the face out of play - 3 weeks with bad record

I could go on...

I just want some consistency, I don't care if everyone or no-one gets rubbed out, as long as its consistent

so raines gets weeks because selwood goes to ground. good on Raines for not going to ground like selwood did to milk a free kick. Selwood going to ground as the norm along with throwing the arms out and the new ducking (dropping the knees)

Both should have got the same, either 3 or nothing. Would have been funny to see selwood get 3 plus his loading.

Ill be interested to see what gerard weatley has to say about this tonight on afl360, his geelong bias will ring true i bet, as always

Gerard Whateley is about the most objective journo that covers the AFL.

On topic, Selwood deserves a week for stupidity. Not particularly good leadership I wouldnt have thought. has a lot to learn does young Joel...there are worse taggers out there than Raines, my guess is Ross Lyon will have taken note about who to send Crowley to.

Since when was any of this about Melbourne??

Why the deflection...got nothing happening in that head or yours to argue your point? A perefect example of stupidity.

If you want to talk about us, we're toughening up, don't worry about that. We gave St. Kilda a good run for their money and are learning a good defensive game style which is showing in our contested ball wins.

I'm not worried about any of our players around Selwood this weekend though. Any one of them could floor him. ;)

I think it's perfectly reasonable for people to be angry at a player who constantly snipes behind the play.

You're a moderator, where's your objectivity?

Constantly snipes? It's the 2nd time he's been up on a striking charge in his 119 game career.

Laughable that people take their frustration out on Selwood. The MRP has been culpable in this decision and if justice is to be done then the decision has to be reviewed. The message this sends is absolutely ridiculous and I for one can't see any justification. A strike is a strike and even Joel could not argue it was unintentional. When one considers how many players have been suspended in the past for arguably unintentional strikes it is about as inconsistent as you can possibly get. Direct your frustration at the MRP. They are the ones who need to explain the decision.

Oh boo, people don't agree with you, they must be stupid then :rolleyes:
He was replying to a guy that said it is a good day for football because a player on the team he supports, got no punishment for punching a player in the face behind play? I think he has every right to call him a tad silly.

Selwood gets off with a bad record for punching Raines in the face behind play.

Raines gets 3 weeks(1 week with the plea) with a 5 year clean record for hitting Selwood back?

This is a joke!!! :thumbsdown:

Constantly snipes? It's the 2nd time he's been up on a striking charge in his 119 game career.

He's been caught twice. He has done it plenty more times. That and his diving don't make him look like a respectable captain/ example to others.

But hey, according to your supporters you Geelong boys don't care about what outsiders think.

So basically, the cats 'dogged' raines out with their medical report and the lions went easy on selwood thats where it seems the decisions came from.

What are the 2 incidents still being looked at? i presume its the 'sling tackle' from schofield and the jackson off the ball on scott selwood?

Ballas gets Chapman in the guts behind play - 2 weeks
Selwood gets Raines in the face behind play - 0 weeks
Scarlett gets Ballas in the face out of play - 3 weeks with bad record

I could go on...

I just want some consistency, I don't care if everyone or no-one gets rubbed out, as long as its consistent

Edit:

Great, so that means they're just suspending people based upon injuries, rather than the actions.

FFS, they even say it was behind the play and he struck him high.

Ridiculous decision.

Totally agree with this - I've said in many threads that if you shoot at someone with intent to kill, the intent to kill is there regardless as to whether the bullet hits/kills/injures/misses - that is secondary

An elbow/fist with intent/force should be looked at, regardless of whether they hit/miss or injure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back