Game Day SF FiFeyeFoFum...playing Game of Thrones theme after goals||S&G Non North GD Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well isn't it great to see that in the heartland of Australian Rules, western Sydney, the game is alive and well with 14800 odd fans turning up to watch the game. (I wonder how many actually paid money to go there?)

And they managed to set some sort of a record too. The lowest crowd at a VFL/AFL final since World War One.
Population of Melb was 670,000 in 1914 and I think 1.3m by 1942. Mind you there wasn't the luxury of TV back then. So 15,000 is pretty poor given the population of Sydney and other bandwagoners from around the country.

Population of Melb was 670,000 in 1914 and I think 1.3m by 1942. Mind you there wasn't the luxury of TV back then. So 15,000 is pretty poor given the population of Sydney and other bandwagoners from around the country.

I'm pretty sure they said it was WW1. Final crowds after WW2 were much higher than tonight's pathetic effort. Whatever the situation, if it is since WW2, then the lowest crowd in 72 years is still pathetic.

I'm pretty sure they said it was WW1. Final crowds after WW2 were much higher than tonight's pathetic effort. Whatever the situation, if it is since WW2, then the lowest crowd in 72 years is still pathetic.
Yep it is pretty pathetic with such a large population and AFL booming regardless.

Definitely 1916 which is in the middle of WWI by memory.

Yep it is pretty pathetic with such a large population and AFL booming regardless.

Definitely 1916 which is in the middle of WWI by memory.

What is worse is that September 1916 was 2 months into the calamity of the Somme.

KIA MIA and wounded lists would have been a daily horror for Melbournites.

It was the peak of WW1.

Horrible times.

Example...from the Melb Argus, Sept 7 1916-

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/1627559

Last edited:
No doubt it was a disappointing roll up, I was expecting 18-20,000 given the same teams had almost 16,000 about a month ago. Having said that I think you could bring a mate for free that day, there were definitely no freebies last night.

There's no doubt the AFL need to look at ticket pricing and timing for Giants finals going forward. There's no doubt the twilight games do better given the proportion of young families who attend.

It cost me $150 to take my young blokes along, I'm sure for some people who aren't as fanatical the cost is a deterrent.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, it's a long game at the end of the day.

Well isn't it great to see that in the heartland of Australian Rules, western Sydney, the game is alive and well with 14800 odd fans turning up to watch the game. (I wonder how many actually paid money to go there?)

And they managed to set some sort of a record too. The lowest crowd at a VFL/AFL final since World War One.

That is probably higher than plenty of league H & A games.

Western Sydney League H&A ave crowds this year:

Parramatta: H - 14346, A - 16229, Ave - 15288.
Wests Tigers: H - 13551, A - 15974, Ave - 14763.
Canterbury: H - 14039, A - 15091, Ave - 14565.
Penrith: H - 12922, A - 14097, Ave - 13509.

The AFL probably feel they are making inroads.

GWS: H - 13195, A - 26074, Ave - 19635.

The GWS home crowds have steadily increased every year except/since their second season. NRL crowds are moving in the opposite direction.

The smallest finals crowd since WW2 was a proud record North Melbourne held, for the 30 something thousand who hauled out to Waverley in week 1, 1993.

I didn't help, being reasonably new to footy and heading to the ground without a ticket, to be handed one for free by someone who had seen the curtain raiser and wasn't bothering to stay.

Similar build up last night, I imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The smallest finals crowd since WW2 was a proud record North Melbourne held, for the 30 something thousand who hauled out to Waverley in week 1, 1993.

I didn't help, being reasonably new to footy and heading to the ground without a ticket, to be handed one for free by someone who had seen the curtain raiser and wasn't bothering to stay.

Pretty sure there would have been plenty of free tickets being handed around last night too, but not necessarily by people leaving the ground.

Went to that game.

It was like Christmas...blue and white...fun atmosphere...first final in ages...

Didnt get the present i wanted.....but you just knew it was coming.

Great times to be alive!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back