Should a Victorian team move part time to Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

So should you.
United.
Bears
Blaze
Titans

Heard of them?

Comparing the Gold Coast to Sydney in ridiculous. Totally different places. Different geography. Different culture. Different demographics.
The Gold Coast is NOT a 'city'. It is a strip o suburbs along the coast. Calling it a 'city' is a contrivance.

'Built and it and they will come' only works when there are other favourable elements.
Otherwise you get a white elephant.

Maybe do some history lessons yourself champ.

Ill say it again. No amount of 'positive thinking' and 'belief' in the AFL Mgt will change the fact that GC Suns will never work.

So you did join only when the Swans were a success.

Explains allot.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's not illogical at all. There are very good reasons why there should be two Queensland based AFL clubs in SE Qld. These have already been outlined.
Not seen one decent reason. Sounds like you are drinking AFL Kool Aid.
Absolutely no reason why the Brisbane Lions could not take over SEQ on their own.
You guys are moving out to Ipswich or something. Bloody insane.

Explains allot.

What on earth are you talking about?
I'll say it again. Comparing the Swans and the GC is idiotic.
Just because 'the swans were s**t and then came good' it does not naturally follow that GC will start s**t and come good'.
That is just a logical fallacy.
Different contexts, times, cities, culture, demographics etc etc.
The Swans have forged a niche market in Sydney.
I am not convinced such a market exists on the GC.
And I have lived on the GC, in Brisbane, in Melbourne, in Perth and in Sydney.

Where have you lived?

People are

Explains allot.

Err. No i didnt.
I have had this view about the GC from my time living there.
But this isnt about attacking me personally.

Funny how some people on here are so religiously dedicated to the AFL that they melt when somebody suggests that maybe, just maybe, the AFL may have made one poor decision.

Hilarious. Like when people criticise the church. People just melt.
No no no The AFL (church) is infallible! Infallible!

The AFL has done a heck of a lot right. I just think GC will be a white elephant.

Not sure why people cant handle this opinion and want to attack me personally?

Just because 'the swans were s**t and then came good' it does not naturally follow that GC will start s**t and come good'.

Where have you lived?

Still didnt answer my point. As I said. Explains allot.

The Swan's were given time by the the AFL to build that niche and they had no grassroots pretty much and no media.

The Suns have an ever growing grassroots and the AFL backing them with more funding available.

You are right comparing the 2 is silly.

Put the early 90s Swans, footys grassroots spread in Sydney, complete lack of media and the AFLs financial situation at the time.
Vs
Current Suns, current grassroots footy in the region, current media spread and the AFLs financial situation.

The Suns are in a lot better situation at this time than the Swans were.

People are

Err. No i didnt.
I have had this view about the GC from my time living there.
But this isnt about attacking me personally.

Funny how some people on here are so religiously dedicated to the AFL that they melt when somebody suggests that maybe, just maybe, the AFL may have made one poor decision.

Hilarious. Like when people criticise the church. People just melt.
No no no The AFL (church) is infallible! Infallible!

The AFL has done a heck of a lot right. I just think GC will be a white elephant.

Not sure why people cant handle this opinion and want to attack me personally?
Whose melting. Just amused that this opinion comes from a fan of a club that was almost booted numerous times and who were constantly attacked by all forms of media as a waste.

Havent personally attacked at all. Dont be so soft.

Whose melting. Just amused that this opinion comes from a fan of a club that was almost booted numerous times and who were constantly attacked by all forms of media as a waste.

Havent personally attacked at all. Dont be so soft.

Swans story is analagous to that of the Lions. A failed Melbourne team merged with the disastrous Bears and then relocated to a Capital city. Lions and Swans are a similar comparison. And I 100% support the Lions.
The Gold Coast is just a joke. They have been in the comp 8 years.
In 1986 (5th season) the SWans won 16 games and the year after 15 games.
Admittedly it was a bloody long time (1996) until we started winning finals. So I agree that is a long time.
But Ill say it again. For the umpteenth time. All clubs are different. GWS have their own unique set of circumstances as well.

So looking specifically at the Gold Coast. I think they are a white elephant. I think this despite positive factors like the high junior participation and the existence of strong local clubs like Southport.
There is something very unique about the Gold Coast geography imo that will hinder the Suns ever getting a foothold.

Swans story is analagous to that of the Lions. A failed Melbourne team merged with the disastrous Bears and then relocated to a Capital city. Lions and Swans are a similar comparison. And I 100% support the Lions.
The Gold Coast is just a joke. They have been in the comp 8 years.
In 1986 (5th season) the SWans won 16 games and the year after 15 games.
Admittedly it was a bloody long time (1996) until we started winning finals. So I agree that is a long time.
But Ill say it again. For the umpteenth time. All clubs are different. GWS have their own unique set of circumstances as well.

So looking specifically at the Gold Coast. I think they are a white elephant. I think this despite positive factors like the high junior participation and the existence of strong local clubs like Southport.
There is something very unique about the Gold Coast geography imo that will hinder the Suns ever getting a foothold.
You can keep saying it. Doesnt make it any less amusing.

Oh and Lions didnt merge with the Bears.

So should you.
United.
Bears
Blaze
Titans
Gold Coast United were getting decent crowds for A-League standards before Clive Palmer thought the crowd cap was a good idea, that failure was entirely on Clive's mismanagement and any expansion club run like that would have failed regardless of the sport or geography.
Bears were a Brisbane team that was playing at Carrara because of Skase corruption
Almost every city has had an NBL team fold
Titans were actually very successful in their early years, their first few years in the comp shows that a GC sports team run properly can succeed on the GC, the only problem is every sports team that has been put in that area has been very poorly mismanaged, or in the Blaze's case the sporting league (NBL) was very poorly mismanaged at the time (they folded the Bullets for eight years FFS).

And who would beat them? Unlikely they'd lose a game with a list of those teams combined.
It was a response to the stupid suggestion to merge us with the Suns

Not seen one decent reason.

Well let's go through it again.

2050 projected populations (Australia is projected to have 37.6 million)
  • Tasmania - possibly 650,000 (The Tasmanian Government has set a target to grow the population to 650,000 people by 2050 to drive economic growth)
  • Sydney - 7.7 million
  • South East Queensland - 6 million (including Gold Coast's 1.1 million and Brisbane's 4.2 million).
It's bleedingly obvious why the AFL established second clubs in Sydney and South-East Queensland and why they will continue to support them financially. The long term benefits are going to be immense and the AFL are clearly looking at a long term strategy.

The AFL are looking long term. 30 years down the track the situation is very likely to be different. Continued exposure of AFL at all levels will see growth in participation rates and interest. For example there was a 16.87 per cent increase in Australian rules competition participants across club, school, and AFL9s between 2015 and 2016 in Queensland alone. The introduction of the AFL Queensland Schools Cup in 2016 sparked an increase of almost 25% in school participants (419 teams). Female football was one of the fastest growing sectors of the game in Queensland with 87,185 Queensland women and girls playing Australia’s game in 2016 – a jump of 22 per cent. The Auskick recorded a 15 per cent increase in club and community run programs in Queensland.

In 2017 overall participation across all levels of the game in Queensland jumped 10.21 per cent to a record 252,624.

So 30 years down the track with more young people playing AFL that will translate into greater adult interest, greater crowds and greater membership. For young elite athletes there are clear pathways to play at the highest level in Queensland, instead of adopting alternative sports. Having two teams in Queensland enables more Queensland footballers to do that.

The AFL want to capture a significant slice of the massive population growth in South East Queensland and they're well on the way to doing so.

Establishing the Gold Coast Suns as a second AFL club in Queensland is an important step to ensuring that happens.

Sounds like you are drinking AFL Kool Aid.

Yeah right. My club was removed from the competition because of the AFL's national expansion. Of course I unconditionally support the AFL in everything it does. :rolleyes:

Absolutely no reason why the Brisbane Lions could not take over SEQ on their own.

See above.

You guys are moving out to Ipswich or something. Bloody insane.

Home ground is at the Gabba and will remain so

State-of-the-art training base will be located at Ipswich including a high-performance gymnasium incorporating state-of-the-art learning and teaching facilities, lap pool and aquatic recovery pools and sports medical infrastructure for the Lions’ AFL, AFLW and academy. Also a 12,000-seat home ground with broadcast quality lights for the AFLW side. it will be a permanent home for the Lions' pre-season matches and will also host NEAFL, QAFL and representative football matches.

A failed Melbourne team merged with the disastrous Bears

There was NO merger between Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears - the latter of which played in finals in 1995 and 1996. The Brisbane Bears and the Brisbane Lons are the same club. Just rebranded.

and then relocated to a Capital city.

The Brisbane Bears moved to the Gabba for the 1993 season.

The Gold Coast..... have been in the comp 8 years.

And will be given far more than just eight seasons to achieve some success and support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where have you lived?

I lived in Sydney for a few years including those 'bad' years. Finally making a decision to keep a presence in Sydney made it more like the AFL & not purely a VFL+ a couple of teams.

Thankfully the powers in Melbourne did that at that time. Sydney was set & the Rugby League wars finally blew up in 1995. That gifted the Swans a huge free kick 15 metres out & dead in front!! I was a member for the years I was their & brought some pissed off RL people who loved it at the SCG seeing AR for the first time live. Games in 1992 & 1993 were very 'sparsely' attended but after that, the place took off!!

Sydney & West Sydney have a much better record of supporting clubs than GC.

GC changes clubs like one changes ones budgie smugglers after a dip at Broadbeach.

The GC is not certain to survive. It may be getting huge survival money now but its going to have to be doing real well off field with members, sponsors & TV attention. Otherwise it'll be just another road crash on the GC sports club highway.

Maybe some other VFL club could be conned to the beach scene?. I'm not sure even that'd help. Its a cultural thing. maybe its just about Beach v Footy?

I lived in Sydney for a few years including those 'bad' years. Finally making a decision to keep a presence in Sydney made it more like the AFL & not purely a VFL+ a couple of teams.

Thankfully the powers in Melbourne did that at that time. Sydney was set & the Rugby League wars finally blew up in 1995. That gifted the Swans a huge free kick 15 metres out & dead in front!! I was a member for the years I was their & brought some pissed off RL people who loved it at the SCG seeing AR for the first time live. Games in 1992 & 1993 were very 'sparsely' attended but after that, the place took off!!

GC changes clubs like one changes ones budgie smugglers after a dip at Broadbeach.

The GC is not certain to survive. It may be getting huge survival money now but its going to have to be doing real well off field with members, sponsors & TV attention. Otherwise it'll be just another road crash on the GC sports club highway.

Maybe some other VFL club could be conned to the beach scene?. I'm not sure even that'd help. Its a cultural thing. maybe its just about Beach v Footy?
The big flaw in your argument is that GC get bums on seats at Metricon, apparently in spite of access problems.

Want to try again?

Whats do people think is the chance they will be a stable and moderatively successful and viable club? 20%? more?

Has there ever been a relatively stable and relatively successful sports team based on the gold coast which plays at the highest level and draws reasonable crowds?

The answer appears to be no despite supposedly avoiding all the mistakes of Sydney and Bears.

To date the experiment is nearing a decade. 90% of the work is ahead of them and there is no guarantee it will work.

20-30 years of having a basketcase with no following as opposed to a team in Tassie or even a third team in WA is a massive liability and chance missed.

The big flaw in your argument is that GC get bums on seats at Metricon, apparently in spite of access problems.

Want to try again?
legitimately, the times i have travelled up there its 75% away side, 25% home side. and it is the most difficult to get to of the grounds ive been to. no rail, no parking within a 20 min walk (in the dark) and bus and parking information is hard to find.

legitimately, the times i have travelled up there its 75% away side, 25% home side. and it is the most difficult to get to of the grounds ive been to. no rail, no parking within a 20 min walk (in the dark) and bus and parking information is hard to find.
I haven't been there.

I have seen so many people swear that our crowds are outnumbered at Spotless untruthfully I have to take it with a grain of salt. The only time it happens with us is the Swans derby at Spotless. There's some positive reinforcement and a lack of objective data that gives it credibility, and a tendency to exaggerate.

Perhaps a Suns member has a view.

I haven't been there.

I have seen so many people swear that our crowds are outnumbered at Spotless untruthfully I have to take it with a grain of salt. The only time it happens with us is the Swans derby at Spotless. There's some positive reinforcement and a lack of objective data that gives it credibility, and a tendency to exaggerate.

Perhaps a Suns member has a view.
i havent been to spotless but from what im told you are right about your ground. i understand less away fans travel to go there.

Despite horrendous on field results we actually get better average home crowds (13’547) than GWS (11’913).

We’re 8 years into a generational build and people seem to be expecting us to have 50’000 members and multiple premierships by now.

Where’s the outrage about St. Kilda’s viability? 1 premiership and they’ve been in the comp for over 100 years. Same as Western Bulldogs, 2016 their second ever premiership

I expect us to have almost sold out metricon when we make finals for the first time.

As for the crowd being ‘75% opposition supporters. There are two games that I would say at worst are 35 - 40% opposition and that’s against Collingwood and Essendon who both have a pretty good following on the Gold Coast.

i havent been to spotless but from what im told you are right about your ground. i understand less away fans travel to go there.
Yeah

There are significant numbers, we have the largest number if dual members if any club. I suspect a lot are actually Sydney residents. We are a "clean sheet" with no long held resentments unlike the Swans for these people.

But yeah it gets exaggerated.

Despite horrendous on field results we actually get better average home crowds (13’547) than GWS (11’913).

We’re 8 years into a generational build and people seem to be expecting us to have 50’000 members and multiple premierships by now.

Where’s the outrage about St. Kilda’s viability? 1 premiership and they’ve been in the comp for over 100 years. Same as Western Bulldogs, 2016 their second ever premiership

I expect us to have almost sold out metricon when we make finals for the first time.

As for the crowd being ‘75% opposition supporters. There are two games that I would say at worst are 35 - 40% opposition and that’s against Collingwood and Essendon who both have a pretty good following on the Gold Coast.

I must say I scoff somewhat at 'generational' build or what ever one wants to call it today. The GC had the Bears, had other AFL clubs play their. The populace has seen lots of footy for over 30 years. Its not a 'brand new' experience at all.

It applies to the NRL on the GC as well.

I must say I scoff somewhat at 'generational' build or what ever one wants to call it today. The GC had the Bears, had other AFL clubs play their. The populace has seen lots of footy for over 30 years. Its not a 'brand new' experience at all.

Yes but the bears werent doing half the community work the SUNS are. AFL participation in Queensland has risen from 25’000 roughly in 2007 to 250’000 this year. We’ve now overtaken SA, NSWACT, Tas and NT for participation, but they’re mostly kids. Female participation on the Gold Coast in particular is massive. The point is that at grassroots level the game is growing massively but we’re 125 years behind and it will take 10 - 20 years for those kids to grow up and start supporting the game fully and/or have really talented kids get drafted consistently, but all the signs point to the growth of AFL in SEQ as being massive, which is the main reason the SUNS were created.

It's a generational build because they are a completely brand new club in what is still a frontier region for footy.

It's a generational build because they are a completely brand new club in what is still a frontier region for footy.

Its THEIR 2nd club after 30 years of Bears & other AFL clubs playing on the Coast.

Hardly generational, nor frontier. If anything its a failed frontier for many many sports. I hope it survives on its merits, but dont give us that 'brand new' guff. Its a 2nd go, plus many other clubs playing their over many years. Simple really. Obvious I'd 've thought

Remove this Banner Ad

Back