Should all ground dimensions be the same?

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't your thread about everyone having the same size oval...?
Doesn't your argument base itself or eradicating the so called bias teams have at the oval that hosts the GF...?
With the GF at the G for the next 40 odd years, why would that not therefore be the blueprint for the set dimensions...?
And if all ovals where the same size, how is it fairer making the G smaller compared to making other grounds bigger, if they are the same size, irrelevant what that size is, isn't it still fair???

Why didn't you just start a thread saying we want every ground to be like Kitty Park because it suits us and it would be fair if everyone had the same as us...
Your statements above contradict your OP:drunk:
Why should the MCG be the blueprint for dimensions? Just because it hosts the GF? You’re showing your Melbourne club based bias. It’s fairer to make the G smaller by simply bring the boundaries in because it’s impossible to make the others bigger - you’d need to re-do the whole stadium.

And not quite mate, I’m not biased and big headed like Melbourne club based supporters - Every ground should be as skinny as KP and every ground should be as short as the SCG - easiest way to do it for every AFL ground and the fairest.

Last edited:
Why should the MCG be the blueprint for dimensions? Just because it hosts the GF? You’re showing your Melbourne based bias. It’s fairer to make the G smaller by simply bring the boundaries in because it’s impossible to make the others bigger - you’d need to re-do the whole stadium.

And not quite mate, I’m not biased and big headed like Melbourne based supporters - Every ground should be as skinny as KP and every ground should be as short as the SCG - easiest way to do it for every AFL ground and the fairest.

Hahaha, born in WA, grew up there, then lived in SA for 13 years... no Melbourne bias...

Question for interstate fans. Would you rather" a. keep your home grand advantage with your greatly changed field dimensions or, b. change the dimensions to suit MCG dimensions to prepare to a potential Grand Final?

Our home ground advantage comes from the travel component more than anything else. Especially now we’re out of Subiaco.

The MCG presents a unique challenge because it’s a comically round Oval. Reducing the width of the MCG when none Victorian teams are the home team at the grand final is perhaps a good middle ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for interstate fans. Would you rather" a. keep your home grand advantage with your greatly changed field dimensions or, b. change the dimensions to suit MCG dimensions to prepare to a potential Grand Final?

I'm going to go with (b) seeing as my club/state govt went with (b).

It's actually better stadium wise for a ground to be shorter and wider than longer and narrower. Sitting behind the goals at Subiaco you the bi-nock-you-lars to see what's going on at the other end.

Realistically, none of the major venues were designed to give a particular team an advantage or disadvantage. The grounds are what they are. If Sydney had the opportunity to make the SCG a bit longer they probably would, but they don't.

I'm going to go with (b) seeing as my club/state govt went with (b).

It's actually better stadium wise for a ground to be shorter and wider than longer and narrower. Sitting behind the goals at Subiaco you the bi-nock-you-lars to see what's going on at the other end.

Realistically, none of the major venues were designed to give a particular team an advantage or disadvantage. The grounds are what they are. If Sydney had the opportunity to make the SCG a bit longer they probably would, but they don't.

From a viewing perspective sure. From a style of play point of view it’s not that great. Same goes for Subiaco, the grounds length didn’t help free flowing play from defence.

Cats Just did a rebuild at Kitty Park, didn't match MCG dimensions
WA clubs just got new venue, didn't match MCG dimensions
SA Clubs got a revamped AO, they did drastically change the dimensions, just not to those of the MCG
SCG just did a massive rebuild, didn't change dimensions to match MCG
Gabba from memory, is one of the closest matches to the G...

Nearly every stadium had a chance to match the MCG in recent years, none of them chose to. None of the Tennant clubs cared at the time, why...?
Because they play 11 home games there every season, and they would rather have an advantage over 11 away teams every year, giving them a greater chance of finishing higher on the ladder, than lose an 11 game advantage all for the possibility they won't have a disadvantage once a year.

Clubs love the home ground advantage, and their fans will only ever whinge on the one or two occassions they don't think it's "Fair"...
Is it fair for MCG Tennant clubs to lose their home ground advantage by playing other Tennant clubs at the G....

lol, how would you suggest Geelong could have matched the dimensions of the MCG? Did you put any thought into your post at all?

Perth was different to the rest you've mentioned for the simple fact that it was built from scratch. All of the others you've mentioned have other structures and restrictions to consider and in Geelong's case a major city road in Moorabool Street. On the other side of the ground they have Kardinia Swimming pool, St Mary's footy ground and Latrobe Terrace hemming them in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can completely understand that most want more standards but i actually enjoy the small differences in each game; such as longer grounds, fatter grounds, the bouncing of the ball, rain/wind, roof, etc.

It adds a sprinkle of randomness and forces strategy adjustments for external factors which makes our game a unique :)

The AFL is the only football code to play on different sized grounds. Look at all the main football codes - Soccer, Rugby League, NFL etc. They all play on an identical sized ground.

Is it time the AFL got with the times and followed suit? Game plans are being developed more and more that revolve around the size of the ground and it is getting a bit ridiculous.

This is specifically the case and creates an advantage for MCG tenants, who have the luxury of developing a game plan suited to the size of the MCG, knowing full well the Grand Final will be played there.

I am proposing that every ground used for AFL have the same dimensions. This will only be possible by making every ground as skinny as Kardinia Park and every ground as short as the SCG.

I think this is the fairest solution.

FAKE NEWS !!

Back in the real world...

Pitch dimensions
Find out the size details of a football pitch.

_40747002_footy_pitch_finale1.gif

Did you know that not all pitches are the same size?

The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m).

And what about where most of the action happens - the penalty box?

_40746816_pitch203.jpg

It is also known as the 18-yard-box, with the smaller area - marked out inside it - called the six-yard-box.

This is where some of the world's best strikers earn their living.

And for all you penalty takers - or savers - out there, the most famous spot in football sits 12 yards (11m) from goal.

Last, but not least, that wooden thing at each end of the pitch they call the goal.

Think you know how big it is? It's eight feet high (2.44m) and eight yards wide (7.32m).

By the way, does the OP want all golf courses to be exactly the same too???

Highbury and Wembley used to the starkest examples in England of different sized soccer grounds.

Geelong's recent finals record is interesting given their propensity to win at home on a unique ground.

Hindrance or help?

Geelong's recent finals record is to do with them not being as good as they were from '07 to '11.

From a viewing perspective sure. From a style of play point of view it’s not that great. Same goes for Subiaco, the grounds length didn’t help free flowing play from defence.

I must be in the minority but I think ground dimensions are overblown. I've seen cracking games of footy at all of the major AFL venues. I've seen us lose by 100 at home and win by 100 away.

Geelong's recent finals record is to do with them not being as good as they were from '07 to '11.

Quite obviously, but nor do they need to be to have a ~50% record in finals.

Anecdotally their ground helps them in to a position higher than they would otherwise be.

I found the Ablett discussion peculiar, ie why would you take him to Perth?, the real question is, why would you play him in Geelong?

I know there needs to be more space between the boundary line and the fences. They're too effing close.

Same size nah.... They should be a symmetrical shape at both ends though, why they wasted all that money on kardinia park I'll never understand...

Our home ground advantage comes from the travel component more than anything else. Especially now we’re out of Subiaco.

The MCG presents a unique challenge because it’s a comically round Oval. Reducing the width of the MCG when none Victorian teams are the home team at the grand final is perhaps a good middle ground.

Our record at a ground wider than the MCG is great, can we join the Vic' on this one?

Our recent MCG form is pretty good too

I think as last year was a development year, the coaching staff ignored Subiaco in terms of gameplans, winning there as it wasn’t going to be used anymore and focus on MCG form instead as the new stadium is closer to those dimensions than Subi

It’s a shame that the other footy codes weren’t keen on the extra 10m width to match the MCG when the new stadium was being planned

Highbury and Wembley used to the starkest examples in England of different sized soccer grounds.

Geelong's recent finals record is interesting given their propensity to win at home on a unique ground.

Hindrance or help?

Obviously we play our ground well, and it helps training on it every day (virtually). Not sure many other clubs get that luxury? But the reason we aren't winning finals isn't because we cant play the MCG- we've lost finals at Adelaide Oval, GMHBA etc. The issue is we haven't been good enough. Nothing more, nothing less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back