• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yolo Swaggins

Team Captain
Feb 20, 2015
Noosa
AFL Club
St Kilda
Word getting around is they're going to offer Kreuzer unders so they can push him out for pick 2 compo. Should the afl allow this even though he is likely to land under the band 1 limit. Kreuzer is not worth such a high pick in my opinion

Free agency compensation is fundamentally broken in two ways.

1. The compensation system bases it's reward on market salary, but clubs are paying overs to bring in players outside of the draft/trade process which is also skewing the compensation. Carlton aren't the first club to be overcompensated by Free Agency, and certainly won't be the last.

2. The fact that clubs are compensated for choosing to not match contract offers for restricted players is ridiculous. If you don't want to pay market value and match the salary on offer you should not be compensated for choosing not to do so. In Carlton's case the potential compensation on offer for letting Kreuzer go will almost guarantee that we won't match it.

Somehow I think it'll be rigged. Given the circumstances, the AFL won't sit by and watch Brisbane miss out on both Schache or Weitering.

Really, compensation ought to be scrapped altogether, or at the very least, it needs to begin at the end of the first round.

I don't think they should (maybe end of first round would be fair?) but if he goes, I can see it happening given the existing precedents.

Under the way this flawed system works, yes carlton should get picks 1 & 2.
However ethically and morally its ridiculous, I mean it is the equivalent of a priority pick, if you look at what Kreuzer has produced he is only worth a 2nd round pick with all of his injuries
The nba and nfl don't have compensation, so why should we

Free agency compensation is fundamentally broken in two ways.

1. The compensation system bases it's reward on market salary, but clubs are paying overs to bring in players outside of the draft/trade process which is also skewing the compensation. Carlton aren't the first club to be overcompensated by Free Agency, and certainly won't be the last.

2. The fact that clubs are compensated for choosing to not match contract offers for restricted players is ridiculous. If you don't want to pay market value and match the salary on offer you should not be compensated for choosing not to do so. In Carlton's case the potential compensation on offer for letting Kreuzer go will almost guarantee that we won't match it.
I'd say if they get pick 2 for Kreuzer, they could very well be the last.

It's a stupid rule. But we will take advantage of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... if you look at what Kreuzer has produced he is only worth a 2nd round pick with all of his injuries

His worth will be determined by the market. If he's worth as little as you say, he will be paid accordingly by his suitors and that is what the compensation will reflect. That's the one thing that makes sense about the compo rule, value is determined by money where your mouth is. I get the whole band one thing being in accordance with equalisation - the shitter you are the better your pick - and I think that's actually a good thing. The problem is that it bumps everyone else down the order and throws up inequities like Franklin being worth bugger all while Kreuzer or Frawley comparatively over-valued.

Carlton aren't getting picks 1 and 2 the AFL are giving a priority pick to the Lions :p:D;)

Not wanting to sound like a sulky Carlton supporter, but these rule changes are bullshit.

To ambiguous and allows the AFL to just grant wishes to their favoured northern clubs.

There needs to be clear rules that aren't left to interpretation for concession and compensation picks. Even if it's just get rid of them.

Not wanting to sound like a sulky Carlton supporter, but these rule changes are bullshit.

To ambiguous and allows the AFL to just grant wishes to their favoured northern clubs.

There needs to be clear rules that aren't left to interpretation for concession and compensation picks. Even if it's just get rid of them.

But if there were clear rules then how would the AFL engineer an outcome that they wanted?

tumblr_lqnboi6q621qa4w2fo1_500.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to make compensation picks from 11 onwards. At the same time the AFL should stop just changing the rules right before an outcome occurs that they should have predicted but didn't have the foresight or vision to see.

So this year Carlton should get 1 and 2 if Kreuzer meets the criteria.

Then next year fix it so that we don't have this situation again.

Back