Moved Thread Should clubs be able to make trades on draft night like the nba

Remove this Banner Ad

drewmont4

Debutant
Nov 15, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi there,

I think AFL clubs should have the option to make trades on draft night.

what dose everyone think

Hi All,

should clubs be able to make trades on draft night just like the nba

Hasn't there already been a thread or two over this?

Anyway, yes I believe there should be. Works great in the NFL as it adds to the excitement and makes it enjoyable to watch.

Two reasons this wont work.

1. AFL salaries arent transferable. If you look at all major USA sports, when a player is traded their contract is carried over to the new team. For example if John Smith signs a 4 X $1m contract and is traded 2 years in, his contract with team B is the remaining 2 X $1m on his old contract. In the AFL when a player is traded he is released entirely from his contract and has to sign a new one with his new team. Unless the AFL introduces guaranteed money over the life of their careers, players wont agree to unguaranteed locality

2. AFL Players dont get paid enough to do it. With the US sport salaries they have the capital to rent for 6 months and still own a home somewhere else. Not so much in Australia, especially in the rising house prices of major cities like Melbourne or Sydney.
In the NBA the base salary for veterans is 1.06 million a year. 505K for everyone else
In the NFL it is 420K
in the NHL it is 550K
in the MLB it is 500K

For afl players it is much lower. the Median Average salary is just over half of of the MLB. If the AFL were to introduce trading players without their consent there would have to be major restrictions.
My suggestion....

If an AFL player requests a trade (formally) before they reach restricted free agency, then the club has the right to trade them to whomever they choose (i.e 2nd year players dont get a choice of destination). That makes contract situations a bit yucky but you can work that out. NB here though they can only trade them if they have requested a trade.

If a player does NOT qualify for unrestricted/restricted Free agency, there must be a minimum salary a player must earn if they want to trade them.
Make it say the 40th percentile of AFL wages. That way the top whatever % can just leave through free agency, and the bottom end of salaries arent forever having to move around and put pressure on their finances. Again, this is only the group that doesnt qualify for free agency but is above the 40th percentile.

But it will never happen. Why?
the AFLPA wont agree to point 1
the AFLPA wont agree to point 2

So sorry, but it wont happen i dont think, as entertaining as it might be

Picks absolutely

Players no

Many reasons why player trading would be difficult and not somewhere we want to go but pick trading is a very simple exercise that only involves the clubs

It makes absolute sense as well. If a player slides in the 30's that a team didn't think would they could trade up ie if they had 2 later picks or trade next years 2nd rounder or vice versa , a team hoping to pick up a player or players and they get taken earlier could offer up that pick for other picks.

In the NBA there is the ability to help out other teams with players who have been given over inflated contracts. I'm not totally across it all so forgive me but I do believe that teams are able to also gain picks whilst assisting other NBA teams by picking up contracts that are actually hurting that current team. So lets look at the AFL where we have a silly notion IMO of clubs having to use a minimum of cap space. This means that teams such as the Lions have to heavily front end contacts to meet this minimum spend. Now let's look at Sydney and their situation with Tippet. Freeing up his $750k could allow them to keep players such as Jones or to target FA that would help their team better than Tippet would. The Lions acquire Tippet and his heavy contract but are also given a draft pick to further help their list build. It's just another smart way of doing things IMO.

Two reasons this wont work.

1. AFL salaries arent transferable. If you look at all major USA sports, when a player is traded their contract is carried over to the new team. For example if John Smith signs a 4 X $1m contract and is traded 2 years in, his contract with team B is the remaining 2 X $1m on his old contract. In the AFL when a player is traded he is released entirely from his contract and has to sign a new one with his new team. Unless the AFL introduces guaranteed money over the life of their careers, players wont agree to unguaranteed locality

2. AFL Players dont get paid enough to do it. With the US sport salaries they have the capital to rent for 6 months and still own a home somewhere else. Not so much in Australia, especially in the rising house prices of major cities like Melbourne or Sydney.
In the NBA the base salary for veterans is 1.06 million a year. 505K for everyone else
In the NFL it is 420K
in the NHL it is 550K
in the MLB it is 500K

For afl players it is much lower. the Median Average salary is just over half of of the MLB. If the AFL were to introduce trading players without their consent there would have to be major restrictions.
My suggestion....

If an AFL player requests a trade (formally) before they reach restricted free agency, then the club has the right to trade them to whomever they choose (i.e 2nd year players dont get a choice of destination). That makes contract situations a bit yucky but you can work that out. NB here though they can only trade them if they have requested a trade.

If a player does NOT qualify for unrestricted/restricted Free agency, there must be a minimum salary a player must earn if they want to trade them.
Make it say the 40th percentile of AFL wages. That way the top whatever % can just leave through free agency, and the bottom end of salaries arent forever having to move around and put pressure on their finances. Again, this is only the group that doesnt qualify for free agency but is above the 40th percentile.

But it will never happen. Why?
the AFLPA wont agree to point 1
the AFLPA wont agree to point 2

So sorry, but it wont happen i dont think, as entertaining as it might be

You sir have hit the nail on the head. If you could trade contracts to where ever you like it would stop players like James Aish demanding trades to only one destination. It really destroys the point of having the high valued asset when you can't get anything of value back in return because he will only sign at one club and one club only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the NBA there is the ability to help out other teams with players who have been given over inflated contracts. I'm not totally across it all so forgive me but I do believe that teams are able to also gain picks whilst assisting other NBA teams by picking up contracts that are actually hurting that current team. So lets look at the AFL where we have a silly notion IMO of clubs having to use a minimum of cap space. This means that teams such as the Lions have to heavily front end contacts to meet this minimum spend. Now let's look at Sydney and their situation with Tippet. Freeing up his $750k could allow them to keep players such as Jones or to target FA that would help their team better than Tippet would. The Lions acquire Tippet and his heavy contract but are also given a draft pick to further help their list build. It's just another smart way of doing things IMO.

That's got nothing to do with the thread topic of trading during the draft , and there is no law saying the trade you propose can't happen other than Sydney aren't going to give you a player for free.

Comparing NBA to afl in terms of salary dumps is ridiculous. Even with tippets silly contract it's not remotely comparable to NBA contracts like demarre Carroll $90 mil contract that just got dumped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been discussed by the AFL already and a couple of articles written by Cal Twomey about it as well.

It would just be picks and players drafted on the night.

Hope they bring it in for 2018.

Will make draft night much longer, and teams will need more than 5 minutes per selection.

It has been discussed by the AFL already and a couple of articles written by Cal Twomey about it as well.

It would just be picks and players drafted on the night.

Hope they bring it in for 2018.

Will make draft night much longer, and teams will need more than 5 minutes per selection.

Maybe there should be a post draft trade period as well. With teams having a better understanding after the draft they can make some more moves they might have been hesitant with. Still have the draft day pick trades but also have player trades and the ability to trade the rights of a draftee to a club for a player afterwards.

Maybe there should be a post draft trade period as well. With teams having a better understanding after the draft they can make some more moves they might have been hesitant with. Still have the draft day pick trades but also have player trades and the ability to trade the rights of a draftee to a club for a player afterwards.
No, wouldn't be keen on that.

Would have to hugely increase the time the draft takes in order for it to happen. How long do each NFL team have per draft pick?

Would have to hugely increase the time the draft takes in order for it to happen. How long do each NFL team have per draft pick?
I believe its 10-12 minutes. Really thats all you would need. If clubs are targeting specific players they should have an fairly good idea of they will fall in the draft and what they would need to give up. If it's just draft picks and drafted players, all potential draftees have had medicals prior to the draft and with academy/ father son points system it shouldn't be too hard to work out values for draftee trades (obviously there would be slight increase in value to draftee trades)

Edit: also all draftees wages are set so as far as salary cap goes teams will already have an understanding of how their cap looks when trading for targeted draftees ( no signing bonus in afl)

Yes. I think we should be able to trade picks, players and draftees. I also think we should be able to trade picks further into the future say 3-5 years ( as long as there is some sort of pick protection as they have in the nba). However as has been mentioned many times already, there are far too many hurdles for that to progress and the first major hurdle in this discussion in my opinion is the clubs ability to be fluid and efficient in progressing and processing trades during trade month, atm trades are labored and drawn out with medicals, nit picking over value and some cases just stubbornness. Until trade month is fixed up then its hard to see players ever being traded on draft night, unless we change it to draft month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back