Should the Govt investigate the AFL & Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

I do think that if you're going to run with the 'a virus ran through the team' reason for a poor performance, in the middle of a pandemic, it's probably on the club/afl to provide a bit more info. If not covid, then what was it? How did it happen - did someone break protocol?
A very salient point. I’ve no problem with them playing if a cold has gone through, but if you’re going to use ‘virus’ as an excuse - which is pathetic btw - you’d best explain yourself in intricate detail.

The vaccine could do more damage to professional athletes than covid. It’s us regular people who could be screwed either way

If they really had a virus they shouldn't have played. Imagine if Melbourne lose the gf because half their squad get sick with the flu.
Get over it Dogs have at least 10 less flags than Melbourne

Been to many anti-lockdown rallies lately?
As long as they're between the hours of 5am-9pm, within 5kms of his house, in the midst of exercise, with face mask on, with only maximum of one mate, socially distancing, and for a maximum of 2 hours... he can, things are pretty ****ed up in Melb guys.

There was definitely some medical issue pre-game. The question that needs to be asked is "Was it ignored"? In this day and age where even a sniffle will get you kicked off a tram, I would've thought the AFL would take it more seriously? If 6 - 8 players were crook for whatever reason you would think there might be more to it all as far as the AFL is concerned? Their attitude was obviously "the show must go on" ? They were not good enough anyway, but why were they not allowed to bring in other emergencies?

With the closeness of the players in the club environment and the amount of young kids around them in the middle of winter I would imagine viruses go through clubs more than we are told.
I think it is good that Geelong were honest about it, at least it gives the fans a factual reason for the poor performance, if the team did in fact have a virus circulating in their group. (I have not looked into the story)
As for the OP, I am sure the Gov were all over them being tested consistently for covid, I don't think we need to spend $$ on an investigation.

Any source for that? Pretty sure in the damage stakes, covid is streets ahead any way you look at it.....
The qualifier "could" makes it a pretty obviously true statement.
You could equally say "water could do more damage to professional athletes than covid."
Because there exists a hypothetical scenario where covid is relatively benign and water kills you. Completely meaningless statement of course, but not one that needs a source.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very salient point. I’ve no problem with them playing if a cold has gone through, but if you’re going to use ‘virus’ as an excuse - which is pathetic btw - you’d best explain yourself in intricate detail.

I'm sure I read that a virus or food poisoning were suspected.

I.e. They were shitting through the eye of a needle, maybe a vom here and there.

Not sure you really want or need to hear about Tom Hawkins diarrhoea in intricate detail ffs lol.

View attachment 1235210

So these mofo's disinfect goal posts in bee-keeper outfits yet a large portion of Geelong players infected with a virus and they were allowed to play? ... with a crowd at the game?

They get tested for Covid, i know, you don't need to remind me with the next 10 comments Geelong supporters who will blindly follow whatever your club does, it could be Richmond and id ask the same question - but the rules are - if you're showing SYMPTOMS - you get tested and self isolate.

So what's the go here? We can't go within 10kms of home but we allow this sh*t to go without issue cause they're footy players and we love footy?

Questions should be asked, but they won't. Cause there are low security prison rules for regular people like you and I, but our prime minister can fly on a private jet funded by our dollars to have a little Father's Day holiday 😊
Ok so the whole point of this thread was to highlight the fact we followed COVID 19 protocols!?.....Surely you could of come up with a better thread than this?.....I mean I’m sure your range of knowledge on our great game knows no bounds. 👍

I'm sure I read that a virus or food poisoning were suspected.

I.e. They were shitting through the eye of a needle, maybe a vom here and there.

Not sure you really want or need to hear about Tom Hawkins diarrhoea in intricate detail ffs lol.
Maybe they just shouldn’t have said anything? Mayne Scott could have just STFU for once? It was probably as you suggest, or perhaps nothing at all, but. Given the current climate, and given that his team had been so thoroughly dealt with, he should’ve kept his mouth shut.

I’m sure the Geelong players were all ill or injured. The AFL really should go back and change the result in Geelong favour so that they win by 200 points.

In no sane or logical world would injuries and illness affect just one team the same way it effects Geelong, it’s just not cricket. It just makes you wonder how their opponents handle their injuries and illnesses?

Septemberitis has been very cruel to Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back